Weekly Assignment #68: Falling

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 18, 2009 in Assignments
This class is about falling - and capturing the fall. A drop of water. Base jumping. Any separate object in a free fall (no water streams, please).
You can try freeze it with a fast shutter speed, or get the motion blur, be it of the subject (in this case try not to overdo it so the subject is still recognizable) or of the background.
Naturally, only global non-evasive post treatment. Fresh images, as always.
Let's capture that fall!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    This is a very interesting topic, and a hard one might I add. I originally thought it would be a piece of cake, but I was sadly mistaken when after about an hour of shooting and adjusting settings and lighting (desk lamp), this was the only usable picture I got. The dart definitely fell faster than my camera could shoot even with my 50mm wide open.
    2281048716_b7ea94a6c8_b.jpg
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    This is a very interesting topic, and a hard one might I add. I originally thought it would be a piece of cake, but I was sadly mistaken when after about an hour of shooting and adjusting settings and lighting (desk lamp), this was the only usable picture I got. The dart definitely fell faster than my camera could shoot even with my 50mm wide open.
    Thank you, nice entry! thumb.gif
    Desk lamp as the light source? Wow that really hard! mwink.gif
  • blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Nice one, Slinky! I wonder if you could pan and follow the dart in flight? :D
    edited February 21, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    Nice one, Slinky! I wonder if you could pan and follow the dart in flight? :D
    I could try it, I just need someone to drop the dart; I was holding the shutter button down with one hand and dropping the dart with the other while stretching from the tripod to the desk that the dart board was on. I have work right after school today so I don't think I'll get the chance to try it till tomorrow.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
  • spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Great assignment! Turned out to challenge me a bit more than I expected, but I did eventually get pretty close to the shot I had in my head.

And while experimenting with the on camera flash I got this interesting shot...
    edited February 21, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    Great assignment! Turned out to challenge me a bit more than I expected, but I did eventually get pretty close to the shot I had in my head.

Nice entries, Sean, thank you!thumb.gif
  • blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    Oh, man, I thought those were used diapers, at first! :puke1 rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot!
  • JayMitchJayMitch Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Ping Pong Balls
    This was fun, and more challenging than I expected. After I picked my favorite, I tried a B&W and color version of it. I can't decide, so here are both.

258015373_wm5xH-XL.jpg

and

258015881_NdGXu-XL.jpg

--Jay
    edited February 24, 2008
    JayMitch wrote:
    This was fun, and more challenging than I expected. After I picked my favorite, I tried a B&W and color version of it. I can't decide, so here are both.

--Jay
    Jay, this is pretty cool, thank you! thumb.gif
    FWIW, I like the color version better! rolleyes1.gif
  • BuilditBuildit Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Obviously not the peak of imaginationrolleyes1.gif
    edited February 24, 2008
    Buildit wrote:
    Obviously not the peak of imaginationrolleyes1.gif
    This one's tough, I give you that!
    Very hard to notice that droplet...
    This one's more suitable for Liquid Surface, methinks.
    "Falling" would be the last thing on my mind when I look at this picture...ne_nau.gif
    Thank you for trying, though! thumb.gif
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    surf-1.jpg
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
    edited February 25, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:
    surfer
    Interesting take on the theme, thank you! thumb.gif
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    spb13 wrote:

If you wanted your foam to look like it's falling rather than zooming up, you could set your flash to rear curtain sync.

Your image is a combination of a really quick light from the flash and ambient light in the room for the duration of the shutter opening. That is, your flash probably lasted about 1/1000 of a second while your shutter was open for 1/60th of a second. The flash produced the white part of the image and the ambient light produced the yellowish part. With the default flash setting, the flash synchronizes with the opening of the shutter and then the shutter stays open for the remainder of the exposure time. That's why you got white on top with yellow streak on the bottom--the flash fired when the foam was at its high point.

If you put your camera in rear curtain sync mode, the flash fires at the end of the exposure. So you would get an image of the foam falling through the exposure lit by ambient light with a flash at the end to light the foam at its lowest point in the exposure.
    edited February 28, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    If you wanted your foam to look like it's falling rather than zooming up, you could set your flash to rear curtain sync.

Your image is a combination of a really quick light from the flash and ambient light in the room for the duration of the shutter opening. That is, your flash probably lasted about 1/1000 of a second while your shutter was open for 1/60th of a second. The flash produced the white part of the image and the ambient light produced the yellowish part. With the default flash setting, the flash synchronizes with the opening of the shutter and then the shutter stays open for the remainder of the exposure time. That's why you got white on top with yellow streak on the bottom--the flash fired when the foam was at its high point.

If you put your camera in rear curtain sync mode, the flash fires at the end of the exposure. So you would get an image of the foam falling through the exposure lit by ambient light with a flash at the end to light the foam at its lowest point in the exposure.

Thanks for posting this. I pretty much figured all of that out, but it is a great explanation and I can steal some of this to explain it better to my friends. ;)
    edited March 15, 2008
    edited March 15, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    Falling fast...
    exif
    Thanks, Sean, nice entry! thumb.gif
    edited March 15, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    Falling fast...

haha, Dueling Dragons! Nice Shot
  • gumpaholicgumpaholic Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I'm pretty new to this site and here is my falling object. I took this from the Huntington Beach Pier with my XTI. He went down with the wave!

hb203.jpg
    edited February 16, 2009
    gumpaholic wrote:
    I'm pretty new to this site and here is my falling object. I took this from the Huntington Beach Pier with my XTI. He went down with the wave!
    Nice fall, great catch! thumb.gif
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    First post ever -- Falling
    I just joined today and I took these the other day. I just bought my first slr camera and don't have a clue what i'm doing! Very eager to learn though!

rk0m69.jpg

2n8tovc.jpg
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    The Griffon @ Busch Gardens, VA
    One of the highest rides at the park. This was taken with my 28-135mm. They were so high I was surprised that I was able to capture their expressions. :puke1

2819175292_a076fd0ace_b.jpg
    edited March 5, 2009
    One of the highest rides at the park. This was taken with my 28-135mm. They were so high I was surprised that I was able to capture their expressions. :puke1
    Thank you, Melinda!thumb.gif
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    I like the kitchen sink water shot the best.