Options

An interesting fact...

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
In my curiosity I checked the finalists profiles and jotted down where everyone was from. What an amazing variety from around the world! Only 4 states in the U.S. had more than one finalist. 21 "areas" around the world were represented by men and women. Neat! :D

EDIT:
I stand corrected: 19 areas, with "6" US states having more than one finalist

Florida x2
Pacific NW x2
Minnesota x2
Pennsylvania x2
New Mexico
Colorado
Idaho
Philippines
Indiana
Rhode Island
Georgia
Pakistan
Vietnam
British Columbia
California x4
Slovenia
Ohio x2
Washington
Nevada
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    And 2 of them didn't even decide to play in the final round...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And 2 of them didn't even decide to play in the final round...

I nearly didn't post in time.:yikes. I keep forgetting which coast I live on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thought I had 3 more hours. (Having a small anxiety attack right now.)

Tessa....that is pretty interesting data!!!
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    In my curiosity I checked the finalists profiles and jotted down where everyone was from.

Tessa,

Would you mind posting the list of where everyone is from to save the rest of us from having to individually view each profile? I for one would like to see it, but I admit, I'm too lazy to go through all of them. rolleyes1.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    It is really cool that we have participation from around the world ... Awais' portrait is one of my favorites :))
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    ... and thank heaven that is over ... I almost drove myself nuts over the last two weeks ... and now the voting .... i'm okay, really. How much longer is this going on?
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I think one of us west coasters should volunteer to help poor Erik. What time is it down under anyway? :)
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    quark wrote:
    I think one of us west coasters should volunteer to help poor Erik. What time is it down under anyway? :)
    It's 4pm. Don't worry, my monitor faces OUT the window, so my boss thinks I've been working on data analysis like a madman! lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's 4pm. Don't worry, my monitor faces OUT the window, so my boss thinks I've been working on data analysis like a madman! lol3.gif

Phew. I feel better anyway. :D
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Maybe next year for the rest of us...great entries!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    quark wrote:
    I think one of us west coasters should volunteer to help poor Erik.
    Oh, and thanks, btw. :D

I'm a good little worker bee, done ahead of schedule... now get to VOTING!!!
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=84889
    Erik

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Ah, I was the second one to vote. What a DIFFICULT decision and so many worthy photos. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Out of 22,234 members, 467 voted for the final. There were 154 votes for semifinal 4. Wow!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    rddphotosrddphotos Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    We should make voting mandatory when using this forum. As soon as you login, it pushes you to the page to vote. :ivar
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Out of 22,234 members, 467 voted for the final. There were 154 votes for semifinal 4. Wow!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:
    We should make voting mandatory when using this forum. As soon as you login, it pushes you to the page to vote. :ivar

As you might be able to tell, I do like statistics, and I wish there was an easy way to see how many people participated throughout the year, repeat winners, etc.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    As you might be able to tell, I do like statistics, and I wish there was an easy way to see how many people participated throughout the year, repeat winners, etc.
    It should be something relatively simple to do for someone with a direct access to the underlying forum database. Otherwise one would have to look for all those threads, parse HTML...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It should be something relatively simple to do for someone with a direct access to the underlying forum database.
    Not really. I can perhaps get more specifics (IP addys), but what else do you think I can see that you can't?

This has been a problem/question of mine as well. In looking for sponsors for LPSII, I've had a hard time giving quantitative statements about participation. All we have to go on is number of submissions, post counts in the threads, and views (all public info).
    Erik

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Not really. I can perhaps get more specifics (IP addys), but what else do you think I can see that you can't?

This has been a problem/question of mine as well. In looking for sponsors for LPSII, I've had a hard time giving quantitative statements about participation. All we have to go on is number of submissions, post counts in the threads, and views (all public info).

Erik,
    I may be far off since I don't know how VB DB is structured, but if it has any decent break into relational entities (users, forums, threads, posts) it will be simply a matter of a few sql queries to get the info you and we want, e.g.

1) breakdown of entries per each challenge
    2) breakdown of entries per each participant, including QRs, SFs, GF and wins/losses in thereof, as well as number non-entry-related posts, etc.
    3) some other useful stats to please your potential sponsors mwink.gif

Archimedes said in 230 BC: "Give me a place to stand and I will move the Earth."
    I say: "Give me a database access and I will produce whatever stats you want." deal.gifmwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I say: "Give me a database access and I will produce whatever stats you want." deal.gifmwink.gif

That's what a lot of marketing companies keep telling my boss also rolleyes1.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    "Give me a database access and I will produce whatever stats you want." deal.gifmwink.gif

Ah, a database guy. My brother has the same passion and is a VB guru. I love stats. When I used to work for a radiation oncologist, I took all his patient data and made statistics out of it in my spare time, just for fun. But I lack the computer geek gene to be real good at it.

Erik - post your results when you feel you've come to some good numbers! Thanks!

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Erik - post your results when you feel you've come to some good numbers! Thanks!
    We'll see. At this point, we're concentrating on tweaks and making LPS-II a reality... I will say, rather than stats, we've taken a lot of the comments here and in the discussion thread under serious consideration.

Stay tuned...
    Erik

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    We'll see. At this point, we're concentrating on tweaks and making LPS-II a reality... I will say, rather than stats, we've taken a lot of the comments here and in the discussion thread under serious consideration.

Stay tuned...

dum dum dum...
    *thunder*
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section