Options

Shutter release Cable !!!

FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited February 28, 2008 in Accessories
Has anyone purchased an off brand shutter release cable ?? Wondering if there was any pros an cons problems etc ????

Brady :dunno

Canon is my Brand !!
Dad/Photograher:ivar

Comments

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I've got a handfull of different cheap ones from ebay and one of the expensive canon timer ones.

The cheap ones plugs aren't quite as good and you need to test they are connecting propperly when you plug them in as they dont go 100% first time.

but I've made quite a bit of my own triggering circuitry (to do 5 cameras at once) and for how simple they are inside, you can't go wrong.

I've even used a small wadded up piece of foil for long exposure, star trail, photos when I've forgotten a cable release.

I also like that you can get one that is far smaller then the canon one.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Same answer that I gave you in the other forum you asked this question:

Not trying to promote another forum here, but this is a dandy. Well built and cheap to add an extension to as well as giving you an additional plug that can be used with any cheap wireless remote with a 1/8" stereo plug.
    Pro Camera Gear

Also comes in a Rebel version
    Pro Camera Gear
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    I've got one of the cheap knockoff ones from ebay for my 20D. As jogle said, you just have to make sure it's connected when you plug it in, but otherwise they work just fine. I don't see the point in spending the additional $60 or so to have it say "Canon" on it.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thanx !!!!
    Thanx To all that replied .....Great Info !!!

Brady thumb.gif
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Quite a lengthy discussion here: http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=84152

Plus I reviewed one found on Ebay:

Ebay link

Here is a copy of the review:

Ok here is my report.

Here is what it came with:

451575.jpg

You will see a a cable release with about a 2 ft. cord on it. A receiver and the remote. I included the quarter myself(you will not receive one with yours) so you could get a feel for the actual size.

In this photo is my setup:

451576.jpg

This is my 30D on it's tripod. I am using my Tamron 28-75 lens at 28mm. Attached to the camera is the cable release, then the reciever is plugged into the cable release.

First I took a photo with me about 8 ft. away from the camera:

451579.jpg

This photo is the one I took as far away as possible:

451577.jpg

I estimate I was about 50 ft away.

Pardon my dogs they were confused as hell.

My opinion:

In the ebay ad it does say it will take photos up to 100ft away from the camera. This did not happen in my case and I had a clear view of the camera. No FCC tags on this stuff so I assume it is illegal to use this remote in the US. I seriously doubt the Remote Police will be patroling anytime soon though. Ok so I will now list the + and - of this product for me.

The "+"s:

1)It works at least 50 ft. away.
    2)You can use it on a Rebel XT or Possibly the 300D Rebel without the cable release.
    3)Easy to setup and get rolling.

The "-"s

1) It is illegal(although I have never seen anyone police this)
    2) odd batteries (1 - CR2 and 1 - N)although I probably won't replace them often.

I think it was worth the $54.95 spent to finally have a remote for my 30D. If you are wanting a remote for your 30D or Rebel XT I say buy it. B and H Photo carries this for $100. I say buy it off ebay for half the price. [/quote]
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Gadget Infinity.....
    There is a site called Gadget Infinity that are quite reasonable for cable as well as remote .....In my area there is not much to choose from- Canon ....Well built but expensive....I will have to travel for other options....
    Just don't want something that is a pain in the you know what's....

Thanx to all:Brady clap.gif
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Love the example!