Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I don't have my Ubuntu CDs here at home (or Knoppix or Rescue CD)... since this isn't critical, I may have to wait until Monday to write a simple how-to.

It should be something like:

Boot the CD (this takes a while)
    [GUI should start]
    Start a terminal window
    sudo sh (this makes you all-powerful root, might not be necessary)
    cd /mnt/[wherever the partition is mounted]/offendingDirectory
    rm -rf * (be very sure you're in the right directory!!!!!)

If the partition isn't mounted automatically.... then you'd have to do something like this:
    mkdir /mypartition
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mypartition -t ntfs
    cd /mypartition/offendingDirectory
    rm -rf * (be very sure you're in the right directory!!!!!)
    Chris
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Thanks Chris. I'm comfortable in shell. Just didn't know how the boot to CD w/o being loaded on a HD worked.

I'll do this in a few days since I'm busy over the weekend. So feel free to append any steps in the boot process if you remember any :D

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks Chris. I'm comfortable in shell. Just didn't know how the boot to CD w/o being loaded on a HD worked.

I'll do this in a few days since I'm busy over the weekend. So feel free to append any steps in the boot process if you remember any :D

Cheers,
    -Jon

When you boot to the CD it take a while to boot, but when it finishes you should be at the Ubuntu desktop with two icons. One will be "Install Ubuntu" (don't click) and the other should be the already mounted windows partition. At least that's how it goes for me.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Laugh with me, guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Tu5CPVoP8

And yes, I still run Vista every day. And XP.
    edited February 19, 2008
    Lol, some of the stuff in there was pretty funny!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've never had any blue screens or none of that. I'd probablyhate Vista as much as those dudes if I had half the problems in the PC forums though..
    edited February 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Laugh with me, guys

Wow, a little too much anger and way too much time on that guy's hands! rolleyes1.gif

The part about support at the end was great. Sometimes I fear I'll end up like that skeleton waiting on hold (usually HP, not MS, but still).

Thanks for sharing Andy!
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    all in dazzling three deeee! lol3.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Laugh with me, guys

lol3.gif sweet
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Laugh with me, guys

That link is dead, this one's good:

http://blimptv.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sucks.html
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 21, 2008
    edited February 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Heh, that's a good one too. It's funny though, I had more (faster) success with the full Vista installer (1 try, no driver search) than with the Ubuntu installer (2 tries + google driver research).
    edited February 22, 2008
    I think one of the big reasons Ubuntu has been so popular is "customer service" (even though it's all volunteer). It's along the same lines as SmugMug. Even if there are a few small things you'd like to see changed, you now there's great support out there and the developers are actually listening to the ground floor.
    edited February 26, 2008
    Deleting a area of "free space" that used to be a partition.
    I had a friend ask my to do something I thought would be easy but and being denied by Vista.

I want to delete 2.74GB of "free space" so it's part of the original "C" drive again.

Are there any apps out there that can help? I don't want to pay for anything since I don't have a real need for it. But I'm sure a trial version would do just fine.

Any ideas? of course I'd like to know how to remedy hit s inside the OS just so I know how to get around it for furutre reference if possible..
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    you'd need something that can do "unnatural" things with partitions, Partition Magic used to be the tool for that sort of thing (and there was a freebie called EdPart, if I remember correctly). messing about with one's partition table isn't something you do lightly.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Any ideas? of course I'd like to know how to remedy hit s inside the OS just so I know how to get around it for furutre reference if possible..

System Rescue CD

GNU Parted can do exactly what you need, and it's completely free. No muss, no fuss. Just boot the CD and run the program.

My only caveat is that I always recommend having a good backup, just in case! deal.gif
    Chris
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    deal.gif agree, GParted is perfect for this, and works great. (granted never tried on vista, but its still the same filesystem from XP.)
    edited February 27, 2008
    Vista peeps - needs some SmugDav Love
    Can one of you brainiacs do for Vista what I've done for XP here:

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/SmugDAV+for+Windows

? All you gotta do is make the grabs and list the steps, I'll put it on the wiki.

Me love you long time clap.gif
    edited February 27, 2008
    I'll do it Andy. I'll email it to the help desk ATTN you when I'm done.

Would you rather have a movie showing it?
    edited February 27, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'll do it Andy. I'll email it to the help desk ATTN you when I'm done.

Would you rather have a movie showing it?
    Hah no movie needed, just the minimum # of grabs and steps plz, thanks Jon! clap.gif
    edited February 27, 2008
    Check yer mail.

I never knew about this.
    (I did, just not for SM)
    So I can add photos this way too? ear.gif
    edited February 27, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Check yer mail.

I never knew about this.
    (I did, just not for SM)
    So I can add photos this way too? ear.gif
    Did you try it? I sure hope so :)

I don't have my Vista with me right now, only XP on VMware on my Lappy....

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/SmugDav+for+Windows+Vista

clap.gif thanks Jon
    edited February 28, 2008
    Vista Peeps, Help Again, Part II
    Got a customer who can't get our ICC profile installed on PS, Vista.

Help?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-color
    When I have retried to download the ICC, and right click on it, it says that EZPrints-2007.icc already exisits. I tried the edit section in photoshop and will not let me access assign profile(not highlighted). I have gone to View-proof setup-custom then when I go to click on device to simulate ez print icc is not an option. Any other suggestions. Thanks for you help - so frustrating!
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Got a customer who can't get our ICC profile installed on PS, Vista.

Help?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-color

Unlike XP he does not need to copy it anywhere. Download it, right click the downloaded .icc file, choose Install Profile, open CS3, look under custom proof setup, and he/she should see EZ Print 2007. I believe it was Ziggy who pointed out that Vista has integrated color management completely into the operating system. Now if they could just do something with IE...

Hope this helps the customer.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
    edited February 29, 2008
    Glad to be with PC Folks
    (I'm sure to get in trouble for this one! mwink.gif )

I'm just posting to say how glad I am to be around PC folks.

Andy posts a joke picking on Vista in our thread and we watch it and laugh - though most of us probably dispute the "facts" of the joke.

I post a joke in the Apple thread poking fun at an iMac - no laughs - just insults about PCs (even if in good fun) and a defense of their precious brand. ne_nau.gif

Makes me very, very glad to be in a group of people who own computers, rather than a technological religion. rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 1, 2008
    Pupator wrote:

Makes me very, very glad to be in a group of people who own computers, rather than a technological religion. rolleyes1.gif

It's just a tool. One that has a broad spectrum of application.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
    edited March 1, 2008
    I get allot of slack in quite a few of the forums I belong to. But most of them are creative forums (mostly graphic design). Still, Dgrin continues to be one of the nicest places around.

But there are also a ton of forums that the bravest of Mac users would get slaughtered. So at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure it's an even battle.

(Now, my .02 which I've said before)
    There are allot of people out there still, that aren't technologically inclined. So Macs tend to be the better choice IMO.

The thing ppl don't focus on is that technology changes so rapidly, it doesn't make sense (IMO) to spend up to 3x the amount of money for a machine that should be replaced the same time it's equally powerful PC counterpart does. (not talking about homegrown either)

So what ends up happening is you get a ton of machines out there that are outdated, but still reliable, so no one wants to get rid of them, since they spent so much money on them.

Go on ebay or craigslist and do a search for G3. You'll get tons of hits in the multiple hundred $$ range. Now do the same search for 486DX (same time frame). You may find a few for a hundred bucks or less.

So what does a better built machine mean to the consumer? Not much. Since software developers have no concern for size and speed requirements. That highly coveted G5 will sit at the wayside just like it's predecessors and PC counterparts because of bloatware like Adobe Creative suite. (Not knocking Adobe, but it is bloatware)

So if anyone has the right to hold a grudge. It's them. So let em.
    edited March 1, 2008
    Extensis Suitcase doesn't start on boot up even though it's in the Startup menu. So whenever I launch Illustrator or any other Adobe apps I use w/ Suitcase. I find out it's not launched and I have to close the app, launch suitcase, then reopen the design app.
    Not a big deal, it only takes less than 10 seconds for the whole process. But It's in startup and SHOULD launch to my taskbar when I boot up.

Any ideas?
    edited March 9, 2008
    Bought my mother-in-law a new notebook this weekend. A beautiful "special-edition" HP with a pretty white case and silver keyboard.

Intel Core2Duo 1.5
    3GB RAM
    250GB SATA 5400RPM HDD
    DVD+DL Burner w/lightscribe
    Webcam
    802.11a/b/g/n
    15.4" Brightview screen
    12 cell battery

$769+tax. wings.gif

259900580_9ob5e-M.jpg
    edited March 10, 2008
    I got my daily news post from the CodeProject.com website and was working my way down through the list when I stumbled on one I HAD to put up here somewhere. You gotta understand the editors of CodeProject and their daily news they like to put subtitles under their main titles and frequently they are humorous. A couple of days ago they had one "Gates no longer world's richest, falls to 3rd on Forbes list", the subtitle was "Maybe we should take up a collection for him?"

Well today's total broke me up.
    Title: Microsoft researches user interface for the illiterate
    Subtitle: Isn't that the Mac?

I felt you guys/gals (Andy excluded) would find that humorous. Me, I laughed for nearly 5 minutes...

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

edited March 19, 2008
    Windows SP1 release
    I'm surprised no on else has posted this.

Vista will only download updates necessary for your OS. It doesn't take into consideration the future regarding upgrades, additional networks added, etc.

So if you want the entire service pack to d/l (about 500MB) click on the appropriate links:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 x86
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 x64

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST!!!!!
    There's nothing wrong w/ this SP. It's just a good idea.