Options

Strange appearance in Bridge

Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Finishing School
I started to get something wierd in Bridge.

I open a RAW file in ACR, then open it in Photoshop. If the ACR work is OK, then for web presentation I convert to sRGB, sharpen and save as .jpg.

Usually, when this happens, the colors in the jpg and the RAW file are basically identical in Bridge. Today, the jpgs end up looking much warmer in Bridge than in the raw file.

So I tried a few things. I opened the jpgs in PS again. They look fine, the warmness showing in Bridge is gone, and they look like the RAW files.

I tried doing the same thing but saving as a .tif. Again, no problem. Bridge shows the tiffs looking the same as the RAW.

Then I tried opening the .jpg in iPhoto. It looks the same in iPhoto as it does in Photoshop, but different than the way Bridge shows the jpg.

I checked some pictures in Bridge that I had worked on before today. The .jpgs and Raws look the same in Bridge. But if I try to work on one of those Raws now, I get the same wierd color shift in Bridge when I save it as a jpg.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this strangeness, or what steps I might take to fix it?

Duffy

Comments

• Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Bumping once. I've done some research since I first posted, and have tried resetting Preferences in Bridge, dumping the Bridge Cache folder manually, and deleting the bridge.plist file in the Preferences folder. I'm really stymied on this.

Duffy
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    FWIW, this problem is basically resolved.

I found a bug in Bridge. It turns out that if you save a PS document in .jpg using the Progressive method, it will render the jpg in Bridge with a red bias. A neutral gray will gain a few points of red. If you open the .jpg in PS or in any third party program its just fine.

If, for some reason, you open the .jpg using Bridge's camera raw, it will preserve the color shift, and pass it along to PS if you happenned to go there again. (I don't know anyone who re-edits .jpgs, but this aspect of the bug is at least potentially dangerous.)

If you save the .jpg using the baseline algorithm, there is no problem at all. Somehow, the default in PS changed from Baseline to Progressive, and that is how the problem started for me.

I have had two other people try this, and they have replicated the behavior exactly, so I think it is clearly a bug.

Duffy