• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Aaron,

Does this belong in the Pay it Forward thread? headscratch.gif
    Or is there an Antique Department?
    Iam sure that Smugmug posted this right awayne_nau.gif
    Dos 3.3?
    Does anyone remember to to edit your Config Sys and autoexec bat files?rolleyes1.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 20, 2008
    Tee hee lol3.gif good one
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    wow... 2 MB Ram... and only $9G's...what a steal! think it can run PSCS3?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    :D i just wanted to give everyone a good laugh..:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    No hard drive, even!
    Did you notice -- the ad doesn't even mention a hard drive. It probably only supports dual floppies!

(I'll bet that half the people reading this are too young to remember when PCs didn't have hard drives)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited February 20, 2008
    photobug wrote:
    (I'll bet that half the people reading this are too young to remember when PCs didn't have hard drives)
    The first PC I ever worked with didn't even have floppies...it had a 200kB tape cartridge. Floppies were an extremely expensive add-on. Of course, we needed less space then, since zero hadn't been invented yet, so all programming was done with ones. :rutt
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    :rutt Count me as one of the fogeys. I remember listening to the programs load. :D That was on the fancy upgraded machine with a HUGE 16KB memory upgrade (no, that's not a typo, that is 16 KILObytes). :D

Those dual floppies are part of why that system was so expensive, hard drives were still washing-machine sized things reserved only for mainframes at that time.

And, yes, if I chose to I could still probably edit config.sys and autoexec.bat.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Be careful Chris and Richard ... we're dating ourselves. Gotta fast be approaching 60 if you remember listening to tape load. Shoot, I bet you two remember having to load programs with punchcards and punchtapes, just like I do. Or am I dating myself even worse? My first personal office workhorse was a dual drive TRS-Model III with a $2K external 5mb hard drive (half the size of a modern microwave) and a DW-410 printer ... truly the cat's meow. Of course, earlier I worked with non-personal teletype-style terminals, punch card readers, and sorters on a dandy of an IBM.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I remember my Dad's first computer was a Leading Edge machine that cost around 4 grand and was something like this.
    Thanks for the laugh!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited February 20, 2008
    Gotta fast be approaching 60 if you remember listening to tape load. Shoot, I bet you two remember having to load programs with punchcards and punchtapes, just like I do.

Yep. Fortran IV, punch cards, slogging through core dumps. And sadly, 60 is receding, not approaching. rolleyes1.gif But in hexadecimal, I'm still in my 30s. mwink.gif
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    In 1991, I got my first 386 SX-16 with 2MB RAM, DOS 5, 85MB hard drive, 3.5 floppy AND 5.25 floppy drives, no modem, Windows was sold seperately, came with the keyboard, mouse, and monitor for $1000 (Packard Bell, which at the time was highly rated). My first home computer though, was the Timex Sinclair 1000, for which I later purchased the add on memory to bring it up to 16k, stored your programs on a cassette player and reloaded them, you used a TV for the monitor.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    photobug wrote:
    Did you notice -- the ad doesn't even mention a hard drive. It probably only supports dual floppies!

What's a floppy? rolleyes1.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    wareseekerwareseeker Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2008
    My God! Comparing to now.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008