Options

Some youth soccer and a little more lacrosse

KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited March 14, 2005 in Sports
I started off this extremely bright and sunny Saturday watching some of the youth soccer league action over at a local park. Then I moved back downtown to watch the Georgia Tech lacrosse team take on the Golden Gophers of Minnesota. Tech won 6-1.

I'm really getting hooked on lacrosse. It's probably good that I'm discovering it well past the age at which I could have played it!

(Click on images to see EXIF)

17352155-L.jpg

17351456-L.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Yeah gophers!!!

Sorry I have an unhealthy obsession with the state of minnesota.
    The action is great but start looking what is behind the action in the shots you take.
    I know youth you may have less control, but see if for lax you can get a cleaner background.
    ( I would almost prefer a whole sea of people or no people, to the random person on the side line)
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Yeah gophers!!!

( I would almost prefer a whole sea of people or no people, to the random person on the side line)
    I agree completely, but you have to take what the situation gives you.

The soccer field I was shooting on is much smaller than normal due to the age of the kids. There are no bleachers where I could get elevated and no crowd control - parents tend to stand wherever they can yell at their sons the best! :D

I have the same problem at the lacrosse games. No bleachers, no crowd control. In fact, it's part of the ambience of the game. Fans sit wherever they want (a couple of weeks ago one group even brought out a typical living room sofa to sit on), as close as they want, and they were yelling some pretty interesting things at the Gophers too. eek7.gif

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    KMCC wrote:
    I agree completely, but you have to take what the situation gives you.
    Eh I sort of agree with that, sometimes there is very little you can do, but I get paid a little for my photos now and I would like to get paid a little more :D , so I try as best I can to elliminate bad backgrounds (cause if its just two people sitting on a couch watching a game in the background that photo is useless to a media guide) Now if the crowd is interesting and can add something to the shot, then maybe it is of interest to add them in. And I know what home field advantages can be with the fans along the side lines. The dont call umass "garber's Gorrillas" for nothing. And we proably have one of the best fields in the northeast (except maybe 'cuse, which is indoors).

Like an example from hockey, normally I would shot a goal celebration tighter, but i had some nice lines from the box, so i tried loosening up.
    and this is what I got:
    15093795-M-1.jpg
    15093798-M.jpg
    Which eventually lead me to a shot with no umass players in it at all, but a shot I can see being in the media guide next year.
    15093800-M-1.jpg

I even like that the BC player is out of focus, like he is insignificant.
    Just so you know I am not trying to be a pain, I sometimes feel like a bad guy on here cause I will say something other than "great photo", I think your action is sport on, its nice and tight and you really feel like you are part of the action.
    That is why I am being a pain about hte backgrounds cause you could have some really nice photos there (not that they are bad now)

And my disclaimer, I am by no means an expert, I have only been shooting a year, but every day I learn something new, and it seems like everyday I am figuring out how do to something else.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 14, 2005
    Lookin good Kent ^5

You did a nice job on the Lacrosse shot, despite the really harsh light you were shooting in thumb.gifthumb.gif I have to watch this sport more. We even have a Pro team here and I've never gone to watch them. Wonder if they'll let me in with my 70-200mm? Maybe I can join the fun you and Karen are having mwink.gif

Anyhow, good work on the soccer and lax pics clap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Lookin good Kent ^5

You did a nice job on the Lacrosse shot, despite the really harsh light you were shooting in thumb.gifthumb.gif I have to watch this sport more. We even have a Pro team here and I've never gone to watch them. Wonder if they'll let me in with my 70-200mm? Maybe I can join the fun you and Karen are having mwink.gif

Anyhow, good work on the soccer and lax pics clap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    They just had some college games out there this weekend. I think MLL or one of the arena leagues is looking to expand to the west coast so they figured some college games would generate interest