In RE to my Street Photo post below.

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited February 25, 2008 in Street and Documentary
After some emails, private messages and posts I've decided to give this a second try. I would like to start by just introducing myself.

I am an Amateur Photographer with my main interest in B&W, Macro and Nature. Now to tell the truth....I am a person with a camera who loves to take pics and is trying to make something out of this hobby of mine. My taste in photos may not suit everyone's fancy but stick around and watch me as I learn.

I owe my inspiration to my adopted Father, Professional Sports Photographer Allen Glanville. Allen shoots for ABBI, The Bull Pen Magazine, Pro Bull Riders and has ventured in NASCAR as well.

I'm open to suggestions and to people who wish to lend me a hand in my learning abilities. I'm going to learn to upload photos the right way here. In the meantime my smugmug site has a few. I think I'll probably open comments as well as long as they don't get ugly. I'm new to this set up help I welcome......meanness I don't.

Thank you.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited February 23, 2008
    I'm delighted to hear that you have reconsidered. clap.gif We generally don't bite here...the Whipping Post is for that. naughty.gif

I think the best way to use the forums for learning is to post a pic that has not turned out to be what you wanted, and explain what you think is wrong. You'll almost certainly find a number of people willing to help.

Regards,
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Woohoo... welcome back. Like many others on dgrin, I too am just an amateur photog who takes photos because I enjoy it. I look forward to some of your picture posts :D
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    wave.gif welcome! I do a bit of street photography myself .....
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Welcome back Jen. Remember first and formost we shoot to satisfy ourselves. You will receive a lot of assistance from this site. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your posts. j
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Well I don't even consider myself a photographer, I just take picture. I don't know your previous problem (and it does not matter to me) but as long as you enjoy the picture you take then you have acheived what you wanted.

If you get to a standard where other comment\congratulate you on the picture you take then all the better, just remember at the end of the day it is yourself you have to please, nobody else

Tim
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Thank you all.....wow what a great bunch of people I've come across.
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Hi! wave.gif

I peeked at some of your images in your gallery and I was really impressed! bowdown.gif

I think we would all benefit from you posting up some of your shots if you feel like it. clap.gif And on top of that, the chance for some free coaching from some of the top shooters in the game? Suh-weet! thumb.gifwings.gif

Cheers for now, hope to see ya around.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • slodaveslodave Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I'm glad you decided to come back. thumb.gif
    Dave

On a steep learning curve...
    Nikon D100, Nikon 18-135mm, Tamron 5.6 200-400mm
    edited February 23, 2008
    Thank you so much. I'll learn how to upload them. I'm actually going to shot our downtown area tomorrow.

Van Isle wrote:
    Hi! wave.gif

I peeked at some of your images in your gallery and I was really impressed! bowdown.gif

I think we would all benefit from you posting up some of your shots if you feel like it. clap.gif And on top of that, the chance for some free coaching from some of the top shooters in the game? Suh-weet! thumb.gifwings.gif

Cheers for now, hope to see ya around.

VI
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    After some emails, private messages and posts I've decided to give this a second try. I would like to start by just introducing myself.

I am an Amateur Photographer with my main interest in B&W, Macro and Nature. Now to tell the truth....I am a person with a camera who loves to take pics and is trying to make something out of this hobby of mine. My taste in photos may not suit everyone's fancy but stick around and watch me as I learn.

I owe my inspiration to my adopted Father, Professional Sports Photographer Allen Glanville. Allen shoots for ABBI, The Bull Pen Magazine, Pro Bull Riders and has ventured in NASCAR as well.

I'm open to suggestions and to people who wish to lend me a hand in my learning abilities. I'm going to learn to upload photos the right way here. In the meantime my smugmug site has a few. I think I'll probably open comments as well as long as they don't get ugly. I'm new to this set up help I welcome......meanness I don't.

Thank you.

Heyyyyyyyyy good to see you've decided to stay clap.gif
    You need any help, just ask :D enjoy thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    I also would like to welcome you back. I think it's great!

I took a look at some of your photos in Black and White because I love B&W photos and wanted to see what you had. FWIW - I am quite impressed. I won't post any of your here because posting other's work without invite is kinda rude, but I will mention a couple by name...
    • Triplets - Love the texture of the broken paint and symtry. Breaking it up with the tree in the right corner is great!
    • What Was - This is a strong statement of past prosperity. For the first little bit, I thought the tree on the left would be better cropped out of othe picture. Further analysis (if that's what one would call it) has shown me that the tree might be a statement of hope in what might be yet again. Nice!
    edited February 25, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Heyyyyyyyyy good to see you've decided to stay clap.gif
    You need any help, just ask :D enjoy thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Skippy thank you .... I so am loving it here.
    edited February 25, 2008
    I also would like to welcome you back. I think it's great!

I took a look at some of your photos in Black and White because I love B&W photos and wanted to see what you had. FWIW - I am quite impressed. I won't post any of your here because posting other's work without invite is kinda rude, but I will mention a couple by name...
    • Triplets - Love the texture of the broken paint and symtry. Breaking it up with the tree in the right corner is great!
    • What Was - This is a strong statement of past prosperity. For the first little bit, I thought the tree on the left would be better cropped out of othe picture. Further analysis (if that's what one would call it) has shown me that the tree might be a statement of hope in what might be yet again. Nice!

Scott I'm touched deeply, thank you. The What Was shot has some interesting history. It is actually an old hotel in our Downtown area that served many purposes in its years from Railroad men laying over to a retirement home. The tree was planted last year as part of our Downtown Mainstreet Program. There is much controversy over the property because our Mainstreet Program wants it renovated and the owner is just letting it fall to bits. I have several closeups of the architecture and all in my files. The sentiments to me is my Grandfather use to take me there for breakfast frequently before he went to Heaven. Sorry to ramble......would of cropped the tree in this photo below but didn't at the time. Thanks, Jen.

Here's the whole building:
    http://jsphotos.smugmug.com/photos/256597322_SorPX-M.jpg