Options

Restoring old photo with CS2

SandyGSandyG Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited February 24, 2008 in Finishing School
Hello Dgriners,

I have an old photo that I started working on with and older version of photoshop but recently obtained CS2. I'm wanting to know how to go about finishing this project. I can tell the picture needs work but I'm can't tell where I need to begin or how:dunno I'll try to attache the picture...here goes...

rosalbitaII_edited-1.jpg
SandyG:D

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited February 22, 2008
    Sandy,

Digital retouching starts with the best possible scan or photographic copy of the original. Without actually "seeing" the original, the version you present seems to have blown the highlights, especially in the dress. You may have to use fairly advanced technique to make an authentic looking digital image that retains the detail and gradations of the original.

You might need to use:

1) A "bias" exposure to reduce contrast and retain shadow detail.
    2) Several exposures combined either through layers and masks, or using moderate HDR techniques.
    3) Transmissive exposure layer (doubtful in this case.)

After you get an image that seems to retain all of the original's qualities, generally you would use Healing Brush or the Clone tool to eliminate cracks and folds and potentially even missing elements of the image.

Dodge and Burn might be used to equalize or reduce uneven exposure in the image or to reduce uneven fading etc.

Sharpening and Contrast (or Curves more likely) might need to be applied depending on how "modern" you want the final to look. Anti-vignetting might need to be applied as needed to even out the corners, again as needed by the effect required.

Spotting might be required for reflections or reflections might even be added to the eyes if needed.

Color balance or even more Sepia tone might be required.

Finally, artistic painting or background elimination or substitution might be required, depending on the use and requests of the client.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    In addition to what Ziggy said,

You'll want to check out www.retouchpro.org.

Also Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Restoration and Retouching, 3rd edition.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Good Afternoon,
    I used PS7 on this photo and then printed out a very nice looking 8 x 10. It takes a little bit of time, but goes to show that just about any image can be restored if one has the patience mwink.gif
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    And after...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    Great job there Jim! thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Great job there Jim! thumb.gif

Thank you Ziggy. I haven't tried to re do it yet with CS2 or 3, but I may tinker with it down the road, since I have CS2.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...