RNDRNDRNDRND Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Landscapes
Antelope Canyon, Arizona, one week ago.
RND

Comments

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Nice! I hope you have some more. Thats sorta a view I dont see as often.

Was the place busy? Need to get there before all the tourists.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Nice! I hope you have some more. Thats sorta a view I dont see as often.

Was the place busy? Need to get there before all the tourists.

I do have more. This is my first post and I wanted to see how things loaded before I posted more.

Fortunately the place was not busy. As you may know, one must have an Indian guide to go into the canyon. The day we (2) went in, we went on a photography tour -- 2 1/2 hours. We were the only people on this tour, along with the Indian guide, who was a photographer. A couple of very small, non photograph tours came through, but they were no bother to me. I understand that in the summer the place is a zoo. There are five different tour groups going to the canyon in the summer. They alternate start times, but overlap time in the canyon somewhat. They try to hold groups back some, so other groups can take photos. As part of a group, you are all lined up in the same spot. I think that things get a little testy. That is not the way I want to take pictures.

Fortunately, I had the run of the place, walking back and forth in the canyon at will, and setting up shots at my leisure.

We had Zion and Bryce Canyons to see after we left Page. However, in Zion, our first stop, we decided to come home. Page ruined us for any more canyons on that trip.

Antelope Canyon is a must. Go there if you can.
    RND
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Will do, I've ridden by many times on my bike. And now having better gear, I would love to go back there, and Monument Valley, and up through Bluff, and Mexican Hat, all around there are very cool places.
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    man, that is gorgeous! I've always wanted to shoot slot canyons- like Bryce or 9 Mile canyon etc. Great shot! thumb.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Love these canyons and cannot wait to reshoot at the end of March. Thanks for sharing!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Nice photo, it turned out great!
    clap.gif

I love that place, been there few times. Seems you were lucky with light, on my last trip there sky was completely clouded. Oh well, better luck next time.

Show us more !
  • Options
    Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    RNDRND was this in the upper or lower canyon? I believe that you do not need a guide for the lower canyon unless that has changed since I was their last.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Quzol1 wrote:
    RNDRND was this in the upper or lower canyon? I believe that you do not need a guide for the lower canyon unless that has changed since I was their last.

Don,

This was the upper canyon. The tours go to both upper and lower, but I don't know about the requirement for a guide in the lower one.

The day we went on our tour, no tours were being taken to the lower canyon because the sun was "not right" for the great sunbeam shots. At least that's what our tour company told us.

RND
    RND
  • Options
    Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I spent 4 hours in Lower Antelope Canyon and 2 hours in Upper and I found Lower to be MUCH MUCH better.

IMG_9631.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

More here: http://brettmickelson.com/roadtrip/?p=213
    kitvan wrote:
    man, that is gorgeous! I've always wanted to shoot slot canyons- like Bryce or 9 Mile canyon etc. Great shot!
    You're thinking of The Narrows in Zion, I'd wager.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I spent 4 hours in Lower Antelope Canyon and 2 hours in Upper and I found Lower to be MUCH MUCH better.

I would have to disagree. The canyons are very different with Upper significantly darker and if you go at the right time of year and right time of day- there are some amazing light tubes. (2 shots up for photo of the year are from Upper Antelope Canyon deal.gif)

Canyon X is another good slot canyon experience in that area.

I am hitting Lower Antelope again at end of March so maybe I will change my mind after that trip.:D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I would have to disagree. The canyons are very different with Upper significantly darker and if you go at the right time of year and right time of day- there are some amazing light tubes. (2 shots up for photo of the year are from Upper Antelope Canyon deal.gif)
    I thought lower was far more intimate and interesting. It's also longer and there are fewer people there. It's also easier to get to and you can spend more time there. Upper was beautiful as well, but Lower was much better in my opinion. Granted, I was there in November, so there were no places in either section where light could strike the ground, but that was fine with me. I enjoyed both, as I said, but I enjoyed lower much more, both from a photography point of view and a personal preference point of view.
  • Options
    SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    RNDRND wrote:
    Antelope Canyon, Arizona, one week ago.

Very nice set! Looks like you had some fun too! Nice tones and textures. Did you have to dodge many people?!

Enjoy
    John