Options

Raw Shots on CS3 Extended

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 25, 2008 in Finishing School
Can someone please help me. I use a 400D and a 40D and I have Photoshop CS3 Extended. I shoot in Raw. When I use my 400D and put the raw shots onto CS3 no problem. I just click on the Raw icon and the photo appears in Camera Raw. This is the page with all the sliders on the right hand side with the histogram at the top.
When I use my 40D for some reason when I put the Raw shots onto CS3 I get a small dialogue saying 'Adobe Photoshop CS3 - Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document.'
I have to convert my Raw shots into Jpegs on DPP and after I do that the shots appear on the 'Save As' page.
Why is it everything works ok with the 400D and not with the 40D. Is there a fault or a setting not right on the 40D.
I much prefer the Camera Raw page with the sliders for photo correctness.
I cannot wait for a reply.
Kind regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    The 40D has been included in the Adobe Camera Raw package for at least the past two versions, but you should check anyway, to make sure you have the latest ACR:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

(the 40D is definitely on that list)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The 40D has been included in the Adobe Camera Raw package for at least the past two versions, but you should check anyway, to make sure you have the latest ACR:

Thanks Erik I really do appreciate your reply. I have looked at the link you have sent me and do I complete the registration and at the end of the day will I have to pay. I have had and used my 400d for some time now and it works fine and the 40D I got it when it came out a few months ago. What exactly am I looking for Erik?
    Kind regards
    Bob
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

When you installed CS3 did not the Adobe Updater install also? On my CS3 standard it did. This should keep you up to date with the latest version of ACR. At least mine does. Also you can manually have it do it by clicking on the top menu "Help -> Updates" which will launch Adobe Updater and it should allow you to download and install the latest updates including ACR V4.3.1.

When ACR launches on your 400D shots, what does it say in the top right corner of the window. It should say "Camera Raw 4.3.1" if you have the latest version.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:
    When you installed CS3 did not the Adobe Updater install also? On my CS3 standard it did. This should keep you up to date with the latest version of ACR. At least mine does. Also you can manually have it do it by clicking on the top menu "Help -> Updates" which will launch Adobe Updater and it should allow you to download and install the latest updates including ACR V4.3.1.

When ACR launches on your 400D shots, what does it say in the top right corner of the window. It should say "Camera Raw 4.3.1" if you have the latest version.

Thanks for your reply.
    I have checked my 400D and I see on the top of the screen it said 4.0 as oposed to 4.3.1 I have clicked on help and the 'Updates' are not lit up for me to click on to if you know what I mean. I have also checked in my 'Programme Files' on the computer and I see everything is there but Adobe Updater. So where do I go from here?
    Kind regards
    Bob
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Erik I really do appreciate your reply. I have looked at the link you have sent me and do I complete the registration and at the end of the day will I have to pay. I have had and used my 400d for some time now and it works fine and the 40D I got it when it came out a few months ago. What exactly am I looking for Erik?
    Kind regards
    Bob
    ACR is a component of CS3, the update is free. You just download it from that link and install it, read the instructions, it's quite easy.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    So where do I go from here?
    Kind regards
    Bob

You don't need to buy the update.... you can download it for free. there was a link of that first page but this should work:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=3822&fileID=3542
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    You don't need to buy the update.... you can download it for free. there was a link of that first page but this should work:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=3822&fileID=3542

Thanks for your kind help. I have downloaded the Camera Raw Plugin 4.3.1 update and it is now working fine. What a wonderful lot of people you all are. A big thank you to you all.
    Bob
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for your kind help. I have downloaded the Camera Raw Plugin 4.3.1 update and it is now working fine. What a wonderful lot of people you all are. A big thank you to you all.
    Bob

I am glad you got it working and I agree about the helpful folks around here. You probably should try and figure out why the Updating stuff is not working for you otherwise you have to keep waiting until something bites you to figure out you need an update...

regards,

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:
    I am glad you got it working and I agree about the helpful folks around here. You probably should try and figure out why the Updating stuff is not working for you otherwise you have to keep waiting until something bites you to figure out you need an update...

regards,

Thanks Mike I will try and find out .
    Cheers
    Bob
    Scotland