Options

P&S for non-photography tasks (but not as a backup)

renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in Cameras
Hi all,

I've perused the 9 pages of existing threads and went through a number of forums but really have gotten nowhere with looking for a P&S that meets my needs.

I'm getting ready to head out to SW Utah over spring break and will be taking my standard kit of gear with me. But, I'm not going exclusively for photography, as it is somewhat of a vacation. We'll be going skiing and (maybe) horseback riding and such. For these sorts of activities (especially skiing) I'd rather like to be able to enjoy them yet still have fun snapshots. I don't want to have to stress or worry about bigger bodies and lenses that get in the way and could be damaged. I'll save them for when I'm out hiking for the explicit purpose of photography.

As such, I'm looking for a P&S. I've read tons of reviews and played with a few cameras at various stores, and put myself into a bit of information overload. I'm looking for something rather small, that I wouldn't really notice in a coat pocket. I'm on a bit of a budget (grad students are not notoriously rich, so no more than about $250). Id like as much control as possible over the image. And I'd like good quality images.

Now, all that said (and it seems like I want it all, but I really am realistic), the G9 seems perfect, but it just seems heavy and I cant afford it anyway (or justify it). Besides, all that control might detract from the primary purpose of enjoying the things I'm doing.

I'm a Nikon shooter by blood (read that as my mother had a bunch of lenses so why not stay compatible) but their P&S offerings seem to leave a lot to be desired, so I'm willing to look at just about anything.

I've looked at the Powershot SDx00 IS series and they seem to be a good bet, but I'm disappointed in the technological performance in some aspects, like shutter response time (this is the killer for P&Ss in my opinion) and noise (which will always be a P&S problem). I'm trying to distance myself from technological complaints though, since I really just want to be able to enjoy other activities. That said, I don't want something that is gonna annoy me all the time (like the shutter issue).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what lines to look at?

Also, perhaps on how to distance myself from the photographic aspect and just be able to enjoy being out there and taking those lame touristy (but memorable) snapshot type pictures?

-r

ps - sorry for the long post, just wanted to make it clear that I'm not coming in and saying "what camera should i buy?" without trying to research and think through the process thoroughly on my own

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    i wondered over to the p&s stand at bestbuy the otherday....
    and i just dont see how any of the models would not make me happy...especially if its just for touristy shapshots of my family...
    i was looking and i would go for one that didnt need AA batteries....
    good luck......
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    i wondered over to the p&s stand at bestbuy the otherday....
    and i just dont see how any of the models would not make me happy...especially if its just for touristy shapshots of my family...
    i was looking and i would go for one that didnt need AA batteries....
    good luck......

The reality is, I'm just not used to the size in my hands, so none of them made me happy. They all seem soooooo tiny and not at all ergonomic. But i figure that is just something I'll have to live with.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    You can search on ebay for good ol' Canon Powershot G5s or G6s.

The G5, when I had it, was a robust p&s. Not sure how much it goes for today or its availability. But it was one solid camera.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    You can search on ebay for good ol' Canon Powershot G5s or G6s.

The G5, when I had it, was a robust p&s. Not sure how much it goes for today or its availability. But it was one solid camera.

Not a bad idea. I'm not attached to the latest and greatest.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Well, since the G9 is out of your budget, I'd assume this one is too - but what I use as a "carry everywhere" camera is the Pansonic Lumix LX2 ~$370 right now. It is a wonderful camera and I love the 16x9 mode - and the ability to shoot in other modes. There is a lot to love, but as the price is over your budget, I won't go into detail (unless you want me to).

I still use a Canon SD250 (or is it SD200, I cant remember) when i need to carry something small and compact and don't want to worry about control (it's pretty much all auto). The thing is bulletproof - at least mine is. I've had it for around 4 years now and the only problem is that it has 1 hot pixel. That is pretty good because it has been used and abused extensively in the years, and dropped a few times by a 9 year old rolleyes1.gif

Given that, I would recomend the Canon SD1000 which is currently under $170 on amazon.com right now and is 7.1MP (mine is only 3.1 but still generates great 4x6 prints). thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I agree about some of the Panasonics. The DMC-FZ8 feels like a regular camera just a bit smaller. It has 7.2 MegaPixels, 12x Optical Zoom Leica lense. My wife has one and it takes great pictures. Not much good for anything moving but what P&S really is? She was really mad about missing whale pics in Alaska last year. She could see them in the viewfinder but when they dived she missed them because of the shutter lag. Took great landscape pictures though.

Oh and B&H has them for $229.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I've always been a fan of Canon Powershot SDxxx series for their style and compactness. The newer models now even have optical image stabilization and face detection AF. AF speed and shutter lag can't be compared to dslr's, but I think they're decent. Actually, I've found the AF speed and shutter lag on my older SD700 better than the Canon G6. There's no free lunch, but it's definitely getting cheaper for what we're getting with P&S these days.

Given your budget limit of $250, I'd recommend a Canon Powershot SD850 IS or an Olympus Stylus 790 SW. Quality wise the Olympus 790 is not as good as the Canon 850, but the Olympus 790 is waterproof, shockproof, and freeze proof, just perfect for the slopes, and comes in several colors.

Good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Canon A570IS?
    I would third the Pansonics as a very happy LX2 owner. However, if you can live without the added features a camera like an LX2 gives (raw and a 28mm starting point), the Canon A series cameras look hard to beat for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A570IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000NK3H4S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204048564&sr=8-1
  • Options
    ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    just my 2 cents ...
    I purchased a Sony H3 for a little over $200 a couple months ago for when i didnt wat to carry around the d50. It takes wonderful pictures, has IS technology and also has video with sound capabilities (like most). I purchased a 4 gig memory stick for 40 bucks and can realisticly take close to 1000 pics on one card.

I am very happy with it so far...
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I woud recommend a used Konica Minolta A2 or A200......it is 8mp uses CF cards (upto 8gb) has a very nice sharp 28-200 lens and for me the I gotta get another one was the totally awesome floarting focal point.....where a lot of cameras have set focus points (shown in viewfinder as red lights) the KMA2/A200 have a + sign that actually is movable to any point in the viewfinder.......I dig this feature a lot....and yes these cams come with built in IS also.....you can find on ebay usually for anywhere from $100-500......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    A series are nice but rechargeable AA's are kind of a pain.

I'd look hard at the Panasonics. Either the LX, TZ, or FX series.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Rock on everyone, thanks for the pointers. I was really limiting what i was looking at due to lack of knowlesge of the P&S market

-r
  • Options
    firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I have a Panasonic FZ5 that I adore (but I am selling it to a friend for some money toward a tripod). So I'd certainly look at the panasonic line. Also when I went on a cruise last year and knew that I didn't want to take the Canon ashore and climb the falls etc with it, I bought a cheap point and shoot from Target. It is the Nikon coolpix L3 and I got it for about $100. It takes SD cards, AA's (easy to find) and fits in a ziplock bag and then into a pocket to keep it dry. It took great pics and now my hubby takes it with him on motorcycle trips when space is of a premium (and I refuse to let him take the 40D with any lens!).
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    olympus mju
    olympus mju looks like a good little camera for harsh conditions-waterproof and high shock rating

their lenses are pretty good-high ISO is pretty crummy though,as with most point and shoots

helmut newton used a film mju as his pocket camera...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I was intrigued by a waterproof P&S, so I looked it up @ Amazon.com

Here's the first review:
    I will admit I was a skeptic when I bought this camera. I have a toddler and a tech-retarded wife, both of whom are responsible for previous spectacular digicam annihilations. So I turned to the Stylus 790 more out of desperation than anything.

Now I admit to being a total convert. For the price-point, I was just hoping for something that took mediocre pics and wouldn't die in 6 months at the hands of my ruthless gadget assassins. It, in fact, takes remarkable pictures, comes with a ton of handy features barely noted on Amazon, and really is indestructible.

Really. And by indestructible I mean it has survived being burried at the beach, dropped in the bubble bath, thrown in the toilet (more than once), gone through the dishwasher cycle (don't ask), dropped from our 3-level balcony to the sidewalk below, and having been laundered (washer AND dryer).
    :lol:lol:lol
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Grainbelt wrote:
    A series are nice but rechargeable AA's are kind of a pain.

I'd look hard at the Panasonics. Either the LX, TZ, or FX series.

KM's A2/200 use rechargable li-on's....A2=NP400 and the A200 I think is an NP800 but not totally sure and I just got a grip for mine so it now holds 2 batteries for twice the shooting.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'm currently making a decision between the Canon PowerShot SD850 IS and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3. I never would have considered the panaphonic (or even the sorny, but n magnetbox) without this thread.

-r