Options

white balance & cards

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited March 14, 2005 in Technique
I've noted a few posts throughout the forums in which reference is made to white or gray cards and their use in establishing white balance...

Can anyone explain this or provide links to more information on how to use cards? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I've noted a few posts throughout the forums in which reference is made to white or gray cards and their use in establishing white balance...

Can anyone explain this or provide links to more information on how to use cards? Thanks.

Angelo,
    I'd love to explain it to you, but I'd probably wind up confusing you. Read these links and it should come together. If not, ask away :D

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_white-balance.html

http://www.netwrite-publish.com/photo006.htm

http://www.cameraguild.com/technology/gray_card.htm

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_65/essay.html

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    Angelo,
    I'd love to explain it to you, but I'd probably wind up confusing you. Read these links and it should come together. If not, ask away :D

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_white-balance.html

http://www.netwrite-publish.com/photo006.htm

http://www.cameraguild.com/technology/gray_card.htm

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_65/essay.html

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I will delve into these and hope to learn much.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    I found a very sweet card kit (almost like a keychain) from whibal.com. Nice small kit of gray cards, fits in your bag too.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    One of steve's links mentioned that they used these cards in SLR film? How did that work, or did I not read that correctly? I never shot film as much more than snapshots, point and shoot type stuff. i am just now deveoping an eye, and am trying to grasp all of this.

headscratch.gif
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

In a nutshell, if the light you are photographing under is not an equal mix of red, green and blue, like sunlight is, then you have a color shift in the image. Consider, for example, white sneakers in black light. We don't normally notice it because our eyes/brain compensate to a great degree. But that compensation doesn't work when we are seeing a print.

If you have a white card or a grey card, that reflects equal amounts of R, G and B, and then take a picture of it, if it is not in "white light" the camera will not record equal amounts of R, G and B. Next you tell the camera that this image is your custom white balance image. It uses the color shift it sees in this photo to determine what a custom white balance should be.

Someone asked why you would use a grey card for use in film. If you use an 18% grey card you can use that to determine your exposure setting. With film, it has nothing to do with white balance setting, it is used for exposure setting.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 10, 2005
    trippy64 wrote:
    One of steve's links mentioned that they used these cards in SLR film? How did that work, or did I not read that correctly? I never shot film as much more than snapshots, point and shoot type stuff. i am just now deveoping an eye, and am trying to grasp all of this.

headscratch.gif
    Trippy,
    They were probably talking about using the gray card for setting exposure. Which you can also do with a digital. In a nutshell, a +/- 0 EV reading when metering off the gray card within the scene should get you the best exposure.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    In a nutshell, if the light you are photographing under is not an equal mix of red, green and blue, like sunlight is, then you have a color shift in the image. Consider, for example, white sneakers in black light. We don't normally notice it because our eyes/brain compensate to a great degree. But that compensation doesn't work when we are seeing a print.

If you have a white card or a grey card, that reflects equal amounts of R, G and B, and then take a picture of it, if it is not in "white light" the camera will not record equal amounts of R, G and B. Next you tell the camera that this image is your custom white balance image. It uses the color shift it sees in this photo to determine what a custom white balance should be.

Someone asked why you would use a grey card for use in film. If you use an 18% grey card you can use that to determine your exposure setting. With film, it has nothing to do with white balance setting, it is used for exposure setting.

thumb.gif Good stuff, esp. the film bit, I didn't know that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    J: A good habit to get into is to include a grey card (as well as a color chart) in a test photo of the scene you are shooting. It'll give you a reference point when working in post, and also keep things consistent from shot to shot. I keep a variety of sizes around (I just cut them up), but I think I'll check out that link that Erik provided (looks like it'd be perfect for macro!).

H: I actually used a grey card quite a bit when shooting film, not only to set exposure, but also to provide a valuable color reference when printing (we didn't have the "eyedropper" tool back then, so I just included a grey card (and often color chart) in the test shot, and eyeballed it.

J: Kinda dates me, huh? rolleyes1.gif

H: BTW, nice explanation Merc'.
    J&H
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 10, 2005
    Trippy,
    They were probably talking about using the gray card for setting exposure. Which you can also do with a digital. In a nutshell, a +/- 0 EV reading when metering off the gray card within the scene should get you the best exposure.

Steve
    Hi Trippy. Welcome back to dgrin.

That same 18% grey card used for exposure is an excellent source for white balancing in RAW converrsion also - It is actually better than a white card. I also use the Whibal.com set of cards - The studio set is about the size of a deck of cards. Fits in a bag nicely. Just include a sliver of the image of the card along the edge of the frame that will be cropped off in the final image after balancing in PS.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Just to make things even more confusing, don't forget warm balance cards!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    thumb.gif Good one, David.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I found a very sweet card kit (almost like a keychain) from whibal.com. Nice small kit of gray cards, fits in your bag too.

I finally saw this product last week. I was expecting them to be the thickness of formica and they were a lot thicker, maybe 3/16". It looked well made.

Personally I like the Gretag-Macbeth products. I have a big and small color checker chart and would like to pick up the new grey scale chart they make with white, grey and black, but it is definitely more delicate and needs to be better protected, and it does not fold together as the whitebal does.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I finally saw this product last week. I was expecting them to be the thickness of formica and they were a lot thicker, maybe 3/16". It looked well made.

Personally I like the Gretag-Macbeth products. I have a big and small color checker chart and would like to pick up the new grey scale chart they make with white, grey and black, but it is definitely more delicate and needs to be better protected, and it does not fold together as the whitebal does.
    here's a challenge then for white balance... I cannot and I repeat cannot get the color right on this.. can you??? have a go at it...I'm done.. drove me nuts.
    17394406-L.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    here's a challenge then for white balance... I cannot and I repeat cannot get the color right on this.. can you??? have a go at it...I'm done.. drove me nuts.
    17394406-L.jpg

Lynn,

Looks good to me. The challenge you're facing is that there are two color temperatures in the shot. There's the warm glow of the setting sun, and the snow is picking up the cool blue of the sky. But I think you did a fine job. You could check with Rutt, but I think it *looks* good.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Is this more what you were thinking it should look like? I did a quick and dirty levels adjustment, than polygonally lassoed the area on the wheelbarrow that had the most different-looking light. I think I blew out some of your highlights...I definitely did not improve the picture.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Lynnma, you don't need to change the WB one bit on that photo. If you do, you will strip it of all life. This shows a wonderful and subtle mix of light. The cool tones reflected from the sky and th warm tones from the low angle sun. It is a wonderful mixture that breathes life into the shot.

A bad WB on this shot would have rendered on or the other colors away. If the WB were too cool, you would loose the warmth of the sun and vice versa. So don't do a thing to ruin the color, it looks perfect! :D
    lynnma wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Lynnma, you don't need to change the WB one bit on that photo. If you do, you will strip it of all life. This shows a wonderful and subtle mix of light. The cool tones reflected from the sky and th warm tones from the low angle sun. It is a wonderful mixture that breathes life into the shot.

A bad WB on this shot would have rendered on or the other colors away. If the WB were too cool, you would loose the warmth of the sun and vice versa. So don't do a thing to ruin the color, it looks perfect! :D
    OOOOOOOOOhhh thankyou so much.. how nice!!!! I was ready to have this shot torn apart cos I could'nt make it any better no matter what I did... obviously now I see that changing one wb would ruin the other.. thanks so much Shay and others for your kind words. iloveyou.gif1drink.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    OOOOOOOOOhhh thankyou so much.. how nice!!!! I was ready to have this shot torn apart cos I could'nt make it any better no matter what I did... obviously now I see that changing one wb would ruin the other.. thanks so much Shay and others for your kind words. iloveyou.gif1drink.gif
    Lynn,

My first thought when I looked at your photo was, "Looks good to me". The problem "WE" have is that when working on our own photos we tend to look for perfection. We see and agonize over the leaves and loose site of the forest. if I am having trouble with a photo, I can sometimes put it away for a day and when I come back with fresh eyes it will come together.

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    I think Dave and Shay's comment nailed it. It is just fine.

I have noticed when I process RAW files of sunrise and sunset shots, that I have to be very careful using the white balance eye dropper, or the lovely warm tones disappear only to be replaced with cool blue ones. In the final analysis, the color has to be right to our eye, that is the final authority. :):

Lovely shot Lynn. I love shooting snow scenes - everything looks so nice and clean and crisp.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    so for me being out on the track shooting the races in the sun all day is shooting a white piece of paper at a 45 degree angle and setting that as my WB good enough?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    That would give you a great WB.

BBones wrote:
    so for me being out on the track shooting the races in the sun all day is shooting a white piece of paper at a 45 degree angle and setting that as my WB good enough?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Ok, last question on this, should I just set the cam to P mode or should I set it up to what I think I will be using for manual settings and then WB off that?

That would give you a great WB.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

David there is also the cheaper alternative to cards designed to swing your balance a certain way. You can either strap colored gels over your whitecard or IMO an awesome little tool which is a swatchbook. It has 400-500 different colored gels that come on a little keychain type mechanism. Works great for achieving any whitebalance out there. Dirt cheap from any expendable shop.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter