Options

Help with Lenses (Sony)

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited February 27, 2008 in Cameras
So I should soon have a new Alpha A100 in my possession. It comes with (what I'm told is a good) 18-70 lens, so I'd like to add more distance on the tele side of things. I know myself and I know that I'll only carry two lenses around, so whatever I get next has to be something really useful. (In a few years I'll add a good prime for portraits of the kiddos, but I'm not there yet).

I went to B&H and looked around a bit, but now I'm more confused. I know that Sony took over Minolta, so many (all?) Minolta lenses work, but I'm not sure which is which and which is best.

For example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=10209&atl=Mount+Type_Minolta+Autofocus+%28Maxxum%29%2FSony&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&pn=3 (That's where you get to by going to used equipment --> Digital Cameras --> Lenses --> Sony/Minolta).

Just looking there it seems like there's a dozen options.
There are Tamron 28-200s
Promaster 70-210s (looks pretty cheap to me?)
Quantaray 135-400s
Sigma 28-200
Sigma 70-210
Minola 70-210

And then of course, there's the lens made by Sony.

In my mind, I don't know where I'm getting this from - the cheaper/older lenses will be slower to focus and not as sharp - is that true?

Anyone want to help me pick a lens? I'd sure like to stay under $200, but if that's a terrible idea I'm open to hearing that too.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Staying under $200 for a sony mount lens is gonna be tuff unless you look to used Sigma, Tamron or Tokina.......I have used Sigma for all the cameras I have owned (fuji, minolta, nikon and now konica minolta)...I have liked their build quality and also sharpness.......I also swear by a lens haveing to be internal focusing (IF) otherwise your lens hood will be rotatiing as your focusing ...it also make using a circular polarizer and other such filters real tough with out IF.....................

Hopefully that 18-70 is a f2.8.....personally I have only 2 lenses for my KM7D's.....1 body has the sigma 24-70 f2.8 (not wide enuff) and the other body has a Siggy 70-210 f2.8 APO.....this was a film camera lens but works perfectly on the 7D and would work fantastic on your alpha.......I bought both these lenses from Cameta Camera's on line ebay store......I did send in the 70-210 for cleaning and Lube last year but that was a routine thing since I did not have any history of the lens..................There are usually some really good deals on ebay or dyxum dot com.............also sigma makes some really great converters fortheir lenses

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Here's what B&H has used (in my price range):

(Minolta) Zoom Telephoto 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 Maxxum Autofocus Lens
    (Minolta) Zoom Telephoto AF D 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens for Maxxum and Sony Alpha Series - Silver
    (Minolta) Zoom Telephoto 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Maxxum AF Autofocus Lens

(Sigma) Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-200 f/4-5.6 Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum

(Sigma) Zoom 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO-Macro Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum
    (Sigma) Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 UC Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum
    (Sigma) Zoom Telephoto 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 Apo-Macro Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum
    (Tamron) Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-200mm Super Zoom f/3.8-5.6 Aspherical XR IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum

And new:

(Sigma) Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3D DC Aspherical (IF) Lens for Sony Alpha & Minolta Digital SLR
    (Sony) SAL-75300 Zoom Telephoto AF D 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens for Alpha & Minolta Maxxum Series
    (Tamron) Zoom Normal-Telephoto AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di-II LD Autofocus Lens for Sony Alpha & Minolta Digital SLR
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    I have been spoiled by the feel of the slightly more expensive glass from sigma (f2.8).....I still have a 28-200 f3.5-5.6...it is an IF lenses but the feel of it compared to the 70-210 is so different (the 70-210 is very heavy compared to the 28-200).....not knowing what you intend to do with you photography I have a hard time telling someone to buy cheaper glass.......the 28-200 has shot sevral weddings and that is why I am keeping it.....if for some reason my 70-210 fails then I have it for back up................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    not knowing what you intend to do with you photography I have a hard time telling someone to buy cheaper glass

Family vacations and street photography mostly. Trips to Chicago, New York, Colorado - I get to do a fair amount of traveling. I take my camera bag almost everywhere but won't like to change lenses too often so I'm just looking for a good walk-around lens in addition to my other one. Lots of landscapes and some family portraits.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Bump to get some additional opinions.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Bump to get some additional opinions.

Bump again. Anyone use Sony DSLRs?
  • Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    I would HIGHLY recommend the 'beercan" 70-210...it is the cult lens to have. The bokeh is beautiful. You can find them in excellent condition on eBay

Here is the review on Dyxum.com...site dedicated to us Minolta/Sony users
    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=48

As for eBay, I only buy used lenses from j.d.katz http://myworld.ebay.com/j.d.katz/

I think I have purchased 5 from him....he is fantastic

good luck
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Thanks! That's helpful and seems to be a very popular lens.

It seems like, generally speaking the following rules apply:

1) Faster is better. Get 2.8 if you can afford it or keep that number as low as you can afford (i.e. 4 is better than 4.5-5.3, etc.)

2) Brand matters: Sigma, Minola, Tamron - avoid anything else.

3) Faster matters more with wide lenses (indoor and portrait) than tele lenses (makes sense right, less light indoors than outdoors).

So it seems like for me the best thing I could do would be to buy two lenses:

1) A really fast (2.8) ~18-70 (somewhere in that range)
    2) A slightly less fast tele (i.e. beer can or some other 70-200/300, 3.5-4.5 lens)

Sound like a good plan? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    SOny
    Pupator wrote:
    Thanks! That's helpful and seems to be a very popular lens.

It seems like, generally speaking the following rules apply:

1) Faster is better. Get 2.8 if you can afford it or keep that number as low as you can afford (i.e. 4 is better than 4.5-5.3, etc.)

2) Brand matters: Sigma, Minola, Tamron - avoid anything else.

3) Faster matters more with wide lenses (indoor and portrait) than tele lenses (makes sense right, less light indoors than outdoors).

So it seems like for me the best thing I could do would be to buy two lenses:

1) A really fast (2.8) ~18-70 (somewhere in that range)
    2) A slightly less fast tele (i.e. beer can or some other 70-200/300, 3.5-4.5 lens)

Sound like a good plan? headscratch.gif

if you can find it, i really like the minolta 17-35 f2.8 i bought for my alpha700, seems to be pretty sharp, of course its hard to compare it with the old canon equipment i had in which i got rid of when the alpha 700 came out. i have never really placed any photos side by side for comparison. i got mine for around 350.00 brand new in the box from a local camera shop. it was originally 569.00 and was on clearance (yeah right). you can actually get these lenses new i believe from b&h around the same price. i have accumulated about 10 lenses since i got the alpha in november. I really like the camera, Oh and did I mention that I REALLY LIKE IT? IMHO, i think it beats the crap out of my old canon 30D equipment, and the fact that every single lense is image stabilized is even better. Anyhow, my favorite lenses sor far, are the 50MM f1.7, 17-35 f2.8 and the beercan is amazing. Just my 2cents worth, but WHO AM I?
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    paul

I moved up from the Maximum seven and maximum nine. To Minolta 7D DSLR to the Sony A100. If I was in your shoes looking for one good all-around lens. I would choose the 28 to 105 2.8 APO. This I find a very versatile fast focusing Len's. I have Minolta, Sigma, and Tamrom lenses. Buying use you can check with www.keh.com. I have purchased several lenes from this company and everything has always been as advertised. Good luck and good shooting.

John

www.Smileysphotography.com
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    A700 & A100
    :D To upgrade from the two kit lens they offered, I got the 16/105 as I do like landscape shooting. My 50 1.4 will take care of family photos and low light settings, And I am on my way to pick up the 500mm f8 reflex lens that should satisfy my tele needs. All Sony lens. clap.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    DesignsmithDesignsmith Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    [FONT=&quot]I'd suggest the "big beer can" if you can find one. The Minolta 75-300 is the big brother to the 70-210. They sometimes can be found on eBay, forums, and used equipment sites. And they are usually sold for less then what you've said your budget is. It's not perfect though. The lens weighs a ton in comparison to lenses with plastic barrels, but it is durable. It is also a slower lens at [/FONT][SIZE=-1]4.5-5.6[/SIZE][FONT=&quot] while the 70-210 is f4 through the entire zoom range. Worth taking a look at I think.

[/FONT]
    DS

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
    -Marcel Proust

Sony A100: Dician VG-1 grip: Made Products Camera Armor: Sony 18-70 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 50 f1.7: Minolta 28-80 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 7-210 f4: Sigma 70-300DL f4-5.6:
    Cambron 2x converter: Minolta 3500xi: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB x6: Lexar Pro 8GB x3: Cokin filter system: PSP X2:
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    I'm going to a wedding reception this weekend, so I picked up a couple of lenses to try - both can be returned with no penalty when I get home.

1) Minolta 100-200mm AF 1:4.5 - paid $50 used
    2) Minolta 24-105mm AF 1:3.5 (22)-4.5 D - $260 new

The second one confuses me a bit. I got a better price than B&H has for the same lens, but there's also an "Xi" version and a version that appears to have no letters at all. Both are significantly cheaper. Should I get one of the cheaper ones? I went to a basketball game tonight and was very impressed with the speed of the 100-200. I haven't had a chance to pixel peep yet to find out about sharpness.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Any help on my purchases thus far? I'm still trying to figure them out.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    paul

I moved up from the Maximum seven and maximum nine. To Minolta 7D DSLR to the Sony A100. If I was in your shoes looking for one good all-around lens. I would choose the 28 to 105 2.8 APO. This I find a very versatile fast focusing Len's. I have Minolta, Sigma, and Tamrom lenses. Buying use you can check with www.keh.com. I have purchased several lenes from this company and everything has always been as advertised. Good luck and good shooting.

John

www.Smileysphotography.com

Thanks John! keh.com seems to have lots of good options - after looking around I'm thinking of returning this (Minolta 24-105mm AF 1:3.5 (22)-4.5 D - $260 new) and going with this one:

1) 28-75 F2.8 TAMRON XR ASPHERICAL MACRO DI LD

I guess I lose quality going from Sigma to Tamron - but I gain a fair amount in speed, right?

Then I could trade in the 100-200mm F4 for the Minolta 70-210 F4 MACRO (55). Seem reasonable?
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    If you're looking forthe 70-210 I would do a search and find a Siggy f2.8 rather than a f4 {it is well worth the difference}.....mine was (is) in excellent shape off ebay for under $500....it hasn't broken or anything but I did send it to a local (60miles away) repair shop for cleaning and lube as I do use them out in nastiness (wet and blowing Ks dirty winds)alot.......and now with most items on ebauy of any significant worth ebay has their repair warranty offered for most items for very little money.............

I have also found that for me the 24 end of my 24-70 is too long.......

• Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Thanks Art - I'm having a really hard time finding the 70-210 2.8. I guess I just keep my eyes on e-bay, B&H, and KEH.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Thanks Art - I'm having a really hard time finding the 70-210 2.8. I guess I just keep my eyes on e-bay, B&H, and KEH.

Now I'm really confused! This just crossed my path for $72:
    50 F1.7 (49) (XX) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS

Seems worth it to me. I assume that with that I'd have no problem doing indoor shots of the family and kids running around.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 27, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Now I'm really confused! This just crossed my path for $72:
    50 F1.7 (49) (XX) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS

Seems worth it to me. I assume that with that I'd have no problem doing indoor shots of the family and kids running around.

I had a chance to see and use a co-worker's manual focus Minolta 50mm, f1.7 and it was a splendid and well built lens. thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I had a chance to see and use a co-worker's manual focus Minolta 50mm, f1.7 and it was a splendid and well built lens. thumb.gifthumb

Thanks Ziggy!

The current update is that I've returned the first two lenses I've bought and picked up:

1) Beercan 70-210 f4 $110
    2) Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF $75
    and I still have
    3) Sony 18-70 (kit) which is a little slow, but otherwise good. My next move (when more cash comes in) will be to replace the kit with something in the 18/24/28-70 range.