Options

good looking pool shark

1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited February 27, 2008 in People
I did a shoot with a young lady who happens to be an excellent pool player -- not a pro, but really moving up, and who knows. She also happens to be pretty good looking...

I'm new to the studio lighting thing, so your comments are very much appreciated!

258079188_8CV4m-M.jpg

258080461_wNq5s-L.jpg

258464345_pVQnp-L.jpg

A b&w conversion
258083250_25yYn-M.jpg
My humble gallery...
www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
www.poolinaction.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    You're right - she's very photogenic.

General comments - to my eye, they all look a touch dark. I went to your SmugMug gallery and looked at the others from this shoot and they share this trait. That having been said, in general, the placement of your lights works quite nicely
    Specific comments:
    1. Would have loved to have seen a catchlight in her right eye. Her right ear-ring hanging there with nothing to support it. Had there been a little light from behind her and camera right would have seperated her hair and black top from the background a bit.
    2. I like the lighting here better. The photo is a bit better exposed and you have some light seperating her from the background. A small nit - you've cut off portions of her fingers on her left hand. It appears her right hand is casting a faint shadow on her face.
    3. The light placement here is the best of the group, but we are still missing the catchlight in her right eye. Though this is my favorite of the group you've posted, I'm not too sure about the way you've cut off her right arm.
    4. The B&W - I really like the lighting here (though still missing good catchlights) and the fact that your chopped off a portion of her elbow is not bothersome. You have good blacks in the photo. I would like to see you extend the range of tones to include a good white; I'm thinking the spots in her top or her teeth would be a good candidate. Really love how creamy smooth her skin is with out looking fake.
    Overall, I think this is a very good series; would just like to see them all a little brighter and with a touch more pop that the brighter images would allow.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    You're right - she's very photogenic.

General comments - to my eye, they all look a touch dark. I went to your SmugMug gallery and looked at the others from this shoot and they share this trait. That having been said, in general, the placement of your lights works quite nicely
    Specific comments:
    1. Would have loved to have seen a catchlight in her right eye. Her right ear-ring hanging there with nothing to support it. Had there been a little light from behind her and camera right would have seperated her hair and black top from the background a bit.
    2. I like the lighting here better. The photo is a bit better exposed and you have some light seperating her from the background. A small nit - you've cut off portions of her fingers on her left hand. It appears her right hand is casting a faint shadow on her face.
    3. The light placement here is the best of the group, but we are still missing the catchlight in her right eye. Though this is my favorite of the group you've posted, I'm not too sure about the way you've cut off her right arm.
    4. The B&W - I really like the lighting here (though still missing good catchlights) and the fact that your chopped off a portion of her elbow is not bothersome. You have good blacks in the photo. I would like to see you extend the range of tones to include a good white; I'm thinking the spots in her top or her teeth would be a good candidate. Really love how creamy smooth her skin is with out looking fake.
    Overall, I think this is a very good series; would just like to see them all a little brighter and with a touch more pop that the brighter images would allow.
    Thanks, Scott, for your very welcome constructive criticism. My monitor is not calibrated -- I should get off my duff and do something about that!

As to the crops, I'll swing back and take a look at the originals to see if there is more available...

Yeah, the catch lights; excellent on the main light side, but a lot less on the other side. I don't know what to do about that without giving up something in the lighting (other than enhancement in pp). Got ideas?
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    These are nice. I can't help but wonder how great #1 would be if she was standing next to a nice looking pool table. That would have been killer.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    Yeah, the catch lights; excellent on the main light side, but a lot less on the other side. I don't know what to do about that without giving up something in the lighting (other than enhancement in pp). Got ideas?
    A not-so-bright fill (so as to retain the shadow you have going for you) up front will provide the catchlights just fine - just a thought.
  • Options
    david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    WOW, she's a killer ! Has she broken 149?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    david-low wrote:
    WOW, she's a killer ! Has she broken 149?
    You must be English -- or Canadien, with your Snooker reference (but isn't it 147?)

But, no, American Pool is her game and she is indeed a pretty good player :D

No prior experience as a model either, but she was great! The pool cue helped her feel comfortable...
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com