Options

RIP Herbert Keppler 1925-2008

bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited March 1, 2008 in The Big Picture
I have only had a subscription to Pop Photo for about three years now but I thoroughly enjoyed Bert Keppler's column every month and would generally turn right to it and read it first.

I will surely miss his writing and his contribution to the magazine...
Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I haven't had a subscription in years but I really enjoyed his writings. I mainly remember reading them in the mid to late 90's when I had a subscription. Every month his column was the one thing I definitely read.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    bham wrote:
    I haven't had a subscription in years but I really enjoyed his writings. I mainly remember reading them in the mid to late 90's when I had a subscription. Every month his column was the one thing I definitely read.

Thanks for your reply - I knew that I could not be the only person on this forum that read his column every month. He really had quite a career in photography to be sure.

One of the things that I liked about him was his seeming love at times for the supposed "lower end" equipment. He would write articles about a Cosina lens one month and then a few months later about the performance that he was getting from a Phoenix branded lens.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    That is a great link Angelo. His witty comments were unique.

Also William F. Buckley Jr has died as well. 1925-2008. Bad week to be 82 I guess.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    A long-time giant, good guy, too. He'll be missed :(
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    A long-time giant, good guy, too. He'll be missed :(

Did you ever have the chance to meet Herb, Andy? Living and working as much as you do in the New York area I was just curious.