Options

Please help w/ contest entry

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi guys/gals. I'm pretty new to macro and so far only have closeup filter-style lenses and extention tubes.

The thing is, I'm trying to enter a local "macro" contest and these are what I've got so far (deadline is friday). No bugs around here yet to get photos of :(

Please, let me know if you like the crops on these (all at 8x10) or if you think I should nix even considering any of them. :dunno

Images are online at: http://darkdragon.smugmug.com/gallery/4330445_bjNsA

Thanks!

259727468_JNk2k-L.jpg

259727008_Y3s8M-L.jpg

259726705_iCskD-L.jpg

259726562_4UfEJ-L.jpg

PS: are these too big to put 4 in a post?
~ Lisa

Comments

• Options
    job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    If I had to choose one. then I would go with #2,
    Hope this helps
    Glenn
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
  • Options
    nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Yep number 2 thumb.gif
    Life only happens once....so capture it
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Meaning no disrespect: If you've got a few days left then keep shooting. I'd pick the second shot as well, but IMHO the composition is a little off and the light is the wrong temperature (not "warm enough") for a flower shot. If you're using natural light then put the flower close to a window in the early morning or late evening and use the soft light for your image. If you're using a flash then you really need to diffuse it better. The "rule of thumb" for diffusion is that the diffuser should be half as big as the distance between the flash and the subject. So if the flash is 12" from the flower then the diffuser should be at least 6" wide.
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif Number 2 has the nicest composition and colours.
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
  • Options
    MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Agree- #2
    Brian V.

I like number two as well - but I would suggest cloning out your dust bunnies in the photo - you've got them on the petals as well as on the white bottom right hand side.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    N 2
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Hi guys/gals. I'm pretty new to macro and so far only have closeup filter-style lenses and extention tubes.

The thing is, I'm trying to enter a local "macro" contest and these are what I've got so far (deadline is friday). No bugs around here yet to get photos of :(

Please, let me know if you like the crops on these (all at 8x10) or if you think I should nix even considering any of them. ne_nau.gif

Images are online at: http://darkdragon.smugmug.com/gallery/4330445_bjNsA

Thanks!
    PS: are these too big to put 4 in a post?

Looks like everyone is choosing Image number #2
    I like number 2 meself thumb.gif

In answer to your question about posting 4 images,
    the size you have chosen to post are fine.

Good luck with your competion ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif #2
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your help.

I know none of theses are great and I'm still working on shooting - but with a dayjob I haven't got a lot of time left to shoot/edit/print/mount. Not to mentions (but i will) I am also helping out a friend who is very very new to photography with dSLR and photo contests, so that takes about half my time too.

#2 is also my favorite and folks I know IRL also like it best.

About the color - I was not using flash, I was using a lot of work lights but then color corrected to make it less warm ... perhaps too much based on comments. eek7.gif

This is not a big contest, just a little photo store contest - last contest the guys told me only one person entered rolleyes1.gif So I know that winning anything is not a testament to my skill in this case, but I still don't want to enter utter crappola.

Been trying to get the dust spots out, man they are hard to see for me late at night when i have a headache. Anyhow, I'm also getting my camera cleaned (hey! I thought the 40d sensor was suppose to clean itself.ne_nau.gif) on Friday night when I go to the camera store to drop off my entry.

Ok Ok. Thanks again for voting and posting your comments. They have been helpful and I look forward to posting something worthy in this thread sometime. :D

~Lisa
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    With the images posted #2 is the better of them. They all have a blandness to their colors, though. The crop on #2 is off IMO.

So - just played with that one for a few minutes to give you an idea of what is possible (your original colors are on the left image).

My crop is not great - I prefer more flower - again it's just to give you some ideas.

259826983_fRZtK-L.jpg259826532_czsvf-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    With the images posted #2 is the better of them. They all have a blandness to their colors, though. The crop on #2 is off IMO.

So - just played with that one for a few minutes to give you an idea of what is possible (your original colors are on the left image).

My crop is not great - I prefer more flower - again it's just to give you some ideas.

Thanks for the input David. I can't do much with the crop as it is limited to 8x10, no idea why they did that...not maximum size, that is the size it must be.

I'll work on the colors a little more tonight when I get home.

Can you post or something about the color correction settings you used to get the white background white? I am using Adobe lightroom and Photoshop and could not seem to get the colors right last night.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Again, thank you for all the input. What do you guys think of this one?

260058897_VmnkY-L.jpg
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I like Nr. 1. It is sharpest and i like sharp images!

Good luck with your contest!