Options

Lightroom and Edit in CS3

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm experiencing a strange behaviour that I'd like to confirm with y'all. If I tell Lightroom to edit an image in PS with LR adjustments, edit and save, it saves back to Lightroom as expected. The same goes for Edit Original.

But, if I "Edit A Copy" and save, it opens the Save dialogue, which isn't what I want. I want it to stack it with the original back in LR (Which is checked by the way). Is there a way to set this preference somewhere? Why would it be treated differently?

All versions are the very latest, mac os versions, running on a MacBook Pro with 10.5.2 and 2GB RAM.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    arodney wrote:

I listened to this in the car this morning (without seeing the video of course) but it didn't seem to address my problem directly, other than to explain the 3 choices and why you'd want them.

I will watch it, but I don't recall George talking about Save A Copy as having a different agenda with respect to saving back in LR.

Thanks Andrew.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    But, if I "Edit A Copy" and save, it opens the Save dialogue, which isn't what I want. I want it to stack it with the original back in LR (Which is checked by the way). Is there a way to set this preference somewhere? Why would it be treated differently?

IF you've got a copy, and you edit it, once in Photoshop, it has to be saved of course. The file name is based on the naming template used in the preferences (edit in external editor).

The stacks should appear if the check box is on and you're not in a collection.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Sadly, this video podcast is not addressing my issue because he closes the file he opens "as a copy" without saving so that you can watch LR open a copy with adjustments instead. Thanks anyway.

It may interest the inquiring mind that command+S, or choosing "Save" in the file menu brings up the "Save As" dialogue. Lightroom has the copy with "-Edit" appended to the name next to the original in the filmstrip, but you cannot save it back.

AARGH
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    It may interest the inquiring mind that command+S, or choosing "Save" in the file menu brings up the "Save As" dialogue. Lightroom has the copy with "-Edit" appended to the name next to the original in the filmstrip, but you cannot save it back.

Not for me. I just save. Notice the tiny icon in the top of the document window just next to the name? See how its somewhat grayed out after an edit but after saving it isn't? That's an indication if the current state is saved or not according to Photoshop.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    IF you've got a copy, and you edit it, once in Photoshop, it has to be saved of course. The file name is based on the naming template used in the preferences (edit in external editor).

The stacks should appear if the check box is on and you're not in a collection.

I have satisfied all these conditions and the file name is altered based on the prefs as you'd expect.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Not for me. I just save. Notice the tiny icon in the top of the document window just next to the name? See how its somewhat grayed out after an edit but after saving it isn't? That's an indication if the current state is saved or not according to Photoshop.

Okay—you're not seeing this. Perhaps I need to do a complete re-installation of both LR & CS3 because I cannot get Save to work when I'm "editing a copy" in PS from LR. It works as usual when using the other 2 choices (Edit A Copy with Lightroom Adjustments and also Edit Original).

Seriously though—if I posted a screencast, you'd see I'm not incompetent.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Okay, I sussed something out.

In "Edit a Copy" I can edit away in PS CS3 and if I flatten the image, it saves back into LR as normal. If I don't flatten, I get the Save As dialogue.

not sure why, but that's the deal. G Jardine intimates on the video that LR uses the preview that PS saves to it's layered file to represent the file in LR. For some reason, this isn't working right, at least on my system.

Entirely by the way, I think George has the best job in Silicon Valley.