Options

Advice for using my new macro lens

bchaplinbchaplin Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi,

I just purchased a Canon 100mm macro lens for my new xTi camera. I had lots of fun playing around with it when I visited Maryland (where, unlike Boston, there are actually some living plants and animals outdoors!).

But here's a picture of a tiny bug I found sitting on some lamb's ears in the garden. My question - is this as much of a close-up as I should expect with this lens? Are there settings I should change, or do I need to add extension tubes to get the amazing close-ups I've seen displayed in this forum?

Thanks!

260508394_eTGgZ-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    I severely doubt that shot it is at minimum focus (max magnification). The FOV should only be 22.5mm wide at max magnification. Try winding the focus down to the minimum value and then focus by moving the camera towards a subject such as a coin (best done with manual focus). The focus point will only be about 5" in front of the lens.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    The 100/2.8 will focus much closer. Look on the side of the lens and make sure the focus range limiter is on .31 and not .48. You use the limited .48 range when shooting farther away to keep it from taking forever to focus by hunting through macro range hen it's not needed.
  • Options
    bchaplinbchaplin Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Thank you for both comments - that helps a lot. This stuff is all very new to me and I'm still learning every time I pick up the camera!
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    If that doesn't get ya going good enough ask more. I have the xti and 100/2.8 also. It's a great macro combo.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    bchaplin wrote:
    Hi,

I just purchased a Canon 100mm macro lens for my new xTi camera. I had lots of fun playing around with it when I visited Maryland (where, unlike Boston, there are actually some living plants and animals outdoors!).

But here's a picture of a tiny bug I found sitting on some lamb's ears in the garden. My question - is this as much of a close-up as I should expect with this lens? Are there settings I should change, or do I need to add extension tubes to get the amazing close-ups I've seen displayed in this forum?

Thanks!

I see you've had some good advice already.
    I too have the Canon 100mm Macro and it is one sweet piece of glass.
    Once you get used to using it, you will be amazed at the how close you can get, and just how sharp this lens is thumb.gif

I'd learn to use the lens first before thinking about getting extention tubes,
    you can add them anytime ... keep shooting ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin