Options

Laurie's Entry Ideas...Feedback Please!

landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited March 18, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, I have a couple favorites, but I'm just looking for some input from everyone.

17581782-M.jpg
Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com

Comments

• Options
    edited March 15, 2005

17581784-M.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005

17581786-M.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    I don't know that these are really good for Minimalism, but I kind of liked them. What do you all think?

17581787-M.jpg

17581785-M.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    "Vanilla Silk" is my favorite photo but the only sugg. that I have is trying to get one just like that but with no shadow under it. Could just be me though. keep them coming.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Vanilla silk is really nice. I like it a lot. I also like the goldfish, tho I'm not sure how minimal it is. Funny idea, though.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Vanilla Silk is really nice, but I also like Milky Waves a lot. All of your photos are very creative.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Thank you all for you input thus far. I was leaning toward Vanilla Silk, but I like Milky Waves too...I still dunno. headscratch.gif

Morris- I will try to reshoot without the shadow. I'm wondering if the lighting will be too harsh...I'm not sure. I will try anyway.

Wax- I was cleaning up the goldfish from my daughter's friends and the rainbow colors hit me funny. I don't think it really works for this competition either, but I wanted to share it anyway.

Sandy- Thank you for your compliment! You didn't help me narrow down my choice though...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I'll see what else I can think up. This theme is harder than it seems!

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    I gotta say Milky Waves all the way. normally I would prefer it to be sharper but in this case I think the softness really works to the photo's advantage here. the forms and repetition really speak to this challenge IMO

nice job! clap.gif
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    I like Milky Waves. The title is good because it evokes a different image than what you're actually seeing, and I can feel my mind chewing on the image. The repeating geometric elements make the picture interesting.

I noticed two things that I think are worth checking -- the 2nd petal from the left curves to the opposite direction toward the bottom, detracting a bit from the pattern. I missed it at first, but after extended viewing, I kept noticing it; and, I would adjust the angle of the leftmost petal to give it more gradient shading. It's too flat so the top right edge of the first petal blends right into the shadowed left part of the 2nd petal (and so you lose the curve-appeal from that first petal).
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Milky Waves for sure. I love your creativity! That is such an important aspect. :)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Another one for milky waves.thumb.gif

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 17, 2005
    All great shots but "Milky Waves" is my fave!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    joechiu wrote:
    I like Milky Waves. The title is good because it evokes a different image than what you're actually seeing, and I can feel my mind chewing on the image. The repeating geometric elements make the picture interesting.

I noticed two things that I think are worth checking -- the 2nd petal from the left curves to the opposite direction toward the bottom, detracting a bit from the pattern. I missed it at first, but after extended viewing, I kept noticing it; and, I would adjust the angle of the leftmost petal to give it more gradient shading. It's too flat so the top right edge of the first petal blends right into the shadowed left part of the 2nd petal (and so you lose the curve-appeal from that first petal).
    I never noticed the second petal until you mentioned it...then that's all I could see! umph.gif

Here is an adjusted version where I curved the petal inward and I dodged the left most area to soften it a bit. How's this?

17686523-M-1.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Thanks to everyone else for your input also...The more I look at it, Milky Waves is my fav too now.

:D

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    I like #1 the best. If you are going to reshoot, consider a smoother surface to lay the petal on (ie white paper). This might soften the amount of shadow and provide a more minimalistic surface.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    I love Milky Waves, Laurie.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I like #1 the best. If you are going to reshoot, consider a smoother surface to lay the petal on (ie white paper). This might soften the amount of shadow and provide a more minimalistic surface.
    I tried a reshoot using a different angle with natural light. This did soften the shadows, but I didn't like any of them because the petals weren't as fresh (it's too bad white roses wilt so quickly!)

On Vanilla Silk (the first one) I used construction paper as the base and added in some noise because I liked the effect, but I guess it was too much to be minimal, eh?

I've decided to go with Milky Waves for my entry.

Thank you everyone for your input!! :):

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    My vote is for Milky Waves. Try a little less softening, somewhere between the 1st and 2nd version.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    My vote is for Milky Waves. Try a little less softening, somewhere between the 1st and 2nd version.
    Hi there Sandy. I see we're neighbors! :):
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    I on the westside of town, near the Design Center.

Angelo wrote:
    Hi there Sandy. I see we're neighbors! :):