Options

Normal Softbox vs. Umbrella Softbox ?

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Accessories
SHOOT_THROUGH_CU1.jpgd27d_2.JPG

Softbox.jpeg

Do you guys/gals think there will be only be a small discrepancy when using lets say a 40" softbox and a 40" shoot through umbrella softbox?

I am speculating that light will be diffused in a larger degree lets say 180degrees ahead of the umbrella where as the normal softbox, the light will still be diffused but to a lesser degree, so it can be pointed and covers a more pronounced beam much like a flashlight.

Also, the shoot through umbrellas are easily universal. They just slip into the head of the flash and clamped, whereas the normal softbox come with rings and I'm unsure if those will fit into my flashheads.

Let me know what you guys/gals think. Especially those who has used both devices. I'll do some testing once I receive the umbrella-softboxes, I've already placed an order for them, haha. I guess I'm not the type to pass up a good deal.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    I got to use one the the Alienbees foldable softboxes (24"x36" $119) this weekend. I typically use their Umbrella softbox (32" brolly box $29). I only noticed a significant difference when shooting on a blackbackground where I really wanted to control the light spill. The softbox was much heavier than the brolly box as well as being 3X the cost. I did like the ability to spin the softbox and change the light profile/shape a bit, and I also liked the square catchlights. I'd still like to have one, but I'm not planning on making that purchase anytime soon after this experiment.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited March 2, 2008
    There is another popular option: the SoftLighter, which is just a reflector umbrella with a diffusion panel/cover.

The problem with the shoot-through umbrella, including the type you show which has better efficiency, is that they tend to produce a "hot spot" in the center when they are used at close proximity. This is because the forward "bulge" is so much closer to the subject than the rim.

You also need to be aware that a softbox is measured by the length of the sides, so a 40" x 40" softbox is the size of the diffusor "window".

An umbrella is typically measured by its arc across the "spokes" of the umbrella. This tends to make a 40" umbrella a smaller catch light and source than a 40" softbox.

You are correct that spill is usually better controlled in a softbox as well.

Ultimately the best device is the one you like and use. All of these devices are substantially better than direct flash.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Cool. Thanks for you inputs, Ziggy and Shane.

I totally forgot about the distance inside the umbrella and how it may provide certain hot spots on images. Good thinking.

I'm going to try these out (the umbrella softbox) and see how it goes. Already placed an order.
    I'm pretty sure it will find some use in my little arsenal at home.

Thanks again guys. : )