A couple hours at M.I.T.

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Journeys
I spent a few days on business in the Boston area. I haven't done much business travel, and was one of six on this trip so wasn't really free to do as I pleased. Our clients treated us as honored guests and took us to the Celtics vs. Cavs game Wednesday. I left the camera in the car as I wasn't willing to have it confiscated. Should have brought it in as there were many others. We had meetings and dinner Thursday, so no photos then either. Friday was a beautiful day with clear blue skies and a planned tour of the MIT campus! This really couldn't get any better for me, as basketball has always been one of my favorite sports, and MIT is kind of like a mecca for my closet nerd (and for my traveling companions, all engineers).

Lovely architecture, old, engraved with such meaningful names:
260564227_wZyQS-M.jpg

Beautiful new architecture:
260573513_EvRkQ-M.jpg

from the back:
260565500_nEP2J-M.jpg

My colleagues reflections:
260573766_TCyH7-M.jpg

Entering the hallowed halls
260564920_sTQqj-M.jpg

and listening to our guide in the dome:
260574101_caQvh-M.jpg

I know this doesn't live up to a Grimace business trip shoot, but that leaves me with a goal for the next one. I doubt that the next trip will have as much to offer as this one - even the business aspect of it went well. I must say that I was humbled and inspired by the things I saw at MIT. What an amazing place!

ann

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 1, 2008
    talk about juxtaposition, eh? i can't say i'm a huge fan of the stata, but they did pull it off very well. did you go in any specific labs? Stone? Whitesides? McKinley? Doyle does lots of ufluids too (w/dna)? just curious ear.gif

glad you had a great trip, been a while since i visited MIT, and even longer since I visited just to visit and not to spend all day in a lab or a meeting room.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Great pictures of my alma mater. Did you get a chance to go inside the stata center for a part of your tour. There are some cool labs in there and the architecture is funky in side too.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Some great pictures...ironically, one of the students, a senior I believe, tragically fell to his death from the 5th floor of his apartment last night.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    talk about juxtaposition, eh? i can't say i'm a huge fan of the stata, but they did pull it off very well. did you go in any specific labs? Stone? Whitesides? McKinley? Doyle does lots of ufluids too (w/dna)? just curious ear.gif

glad you had a great trip, been a while since i visited MIT, and even longer since I visited just to visit and not to spend all day in a lab or a meeting room.

Hi Eric
    I actually found the Stata an interesting building, and I really think innovative and unconventional thinking has a place at an institute like MIT. And at Disney! rolleyes1.gif The building looks like something from the 'toons' movie set.

We toured the Microsystems Technology Lab CMOS facility, the Engineering library (wow, what an amazing space) and then just walked the campus. Bought t shirts at the COOP and lunch at a nice italian restaurant, then finished the day at the MIT museum. We would have all been willing to spend the whole day there, but sadly had a flight.
    I would have been in heaven had I been touring the Whitehead Institute, but that is me and my genetics background.
    edited March 2, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Great pictures of my alma mater. Did you get a chance to go inside the stata center for a part of your tour. There are some cool labs in there and the architecture is funky in side too.

We just walked through the lobby and paid homage to the police car that had graced the top of the dome! Great artwork (photos) on display!

Thanks
    ann
    edited March 2, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Some great pictures...ironically, one of the students, a senior I believe, tragically fell to his death from the 5th floor of his apartment last night.

Thanks -

that is tragic. Happens everywhere unfortunately.

ann
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Ann these are great loved the architecture clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Very nice, Ann thumb.gif I love that architecture, very cool, especially in combination with the old stuff.
    edited March 2, 2008
    Ann these are great loved the architecture clap.gif

Thanks, Awais!

ann
    edited March 2, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Very nice, Ann thumb.gif I love that architecture, very cool, especially in combination with the old stuff.

Thank you, Ivar. It is quite interesting to see the mix of old and new. Some wonderful old stuff, some of the typical stoic 1950s stuff, and some great new buildings too.

ann