Options

Philly (Philadelphia)

digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
Hello, I am going to Philly in April and I have never been. So I wanted to ask everyone here if they would help me out by letting me know what to check out.

What are some great places to photography, parks, cool statues, any cool places? Also place to eat...lol would be nice

Thank you
Ryan
www.lamontphotography.com
Canon 60D
Canon Rebel XTi (400)
Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
MacBook, MacPro

Comments

• Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    You'll probably get many better responses than mine, but I can give a few ideas at least. I live close enough to Philly, but rarely get to visit. I guess the closer it is, sometimes the less you go.

Anyway, the Art Museum, especially the front stairs is pretty much a must. So is the Independence Hall/Independenca Mall area. Great colonial architecture. Boathouse row is very nice.

30th st station is probably one of the nicest big train stations in the country still in use. A very nice old building.

The Frankiln Institute is another nice old building, and just inside is the Franklin national monument (or something like that) that has a big statue of Franklin. I don't think that you need to pay addmission to get to the statue.

That about all that I can think of off the top of my head, and that's all easy stuff that any tourist guidebook would probably mention... You have lots of time before your visit, so I'm sure that others (who probably visit Philly more regularly than I do or live there) will offer more advice.

As for a place to eat, I don't know too many restaurants in Philly, but either Geno's or (I think) Pat's acroos teh street from Geno's in South Philly are pretty much considered the home of the cheesesteak.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    Thank you for the info :D
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    +1 on the colonial architecture and Boathouse Row.

Try to get to South Street for some good people captures.

I remember an interesting boat/restaurant on the waterfront, but the name escapes me.

Also, the Ben Franklin Bridge provides some good night photos.

Have a great time! :D
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Thanks so much for the info clap.gif

Ryan
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    You want to take some neat photos?

Head to Eastern State Penitentiary! thumb.gif Not to worry, it hasn't been used as a prison in years. :D It's kept in a state of ruin and is open to the public. There are some absolutely fabulous photo ops there!!! That's where my avatar photo is from and I have some more photos of it on my site.

Head to the Old City section -- Christ Church, Independence Hall, and the Betsy Ross House are there. Also while you're there check out Elfreth Alley, one of the oldest inhabited streets in the U.S. It dates back to the 1700's.

But don't leave Philly without having seen Eastern State. Have lunch at the fire house across the street that they've converted into a restaurant. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    thank you for the tips,,, I am going to check out the prison... thats a must for me....

But thanks again I will take a look at those other places you mentioned as well
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    yeah...the guys from the Ghost Hunters TV show got some great pics and video from there...:D

Center City is LOADED with wonderful locations...Art Museum, Boat house row, the water works, dozens of statues along the walking path along the River.
    Betsy Ross House, The Liberty Bell, City Hall, Penns Landing, Vietnam memorial, South Street, China Town...See as I said ..Plenty to see here.