Options

Density Change between Photoshop and Online.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in Finishing School
Over the past few months, I've nothiced that when I edit a picture in Photoshop and then post it on the web - anywhere on the web - the picture tends to darken down by 15 to 20%. That means that anytime I want to post on the web, I have to lighten the picture somewhere within that range to make it look the way it did off-line. Is there a way to make them match? I'm viewing both on the same monitor. :scratch

I'm using a PC. (Please, no "Get a Mac" comments. That's not going to happen. :D)

Thank you.
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Are you using different color spaces? Sometimes when things at the newspaper go to CMYK they do strange color things. ne_nau.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Something new to learn about. headscratch.gif

I've never considered the color space. Much like your user title, I have no skills whatsoever. Which is why I'm beside myself. :D I still have a lot to learn.

EDIT: Thank you, IWTK! I found it. Now they match. clap.gif

Thank you.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 2, 2008
    LSV,

The web expects things to be in the sRGB color space. If you upload images in other color spaces they will do be displayed correctly.

The best practice is to convert images destined for the web to sRGB, and leave the sRGB image tag attached to the image; eg: do not use Save for the Web because that deletes the image color space tag.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    You do not say whether you have calibrated your monitor. If you have then the issue of color management enters into the game also. Photoshop is color managed (it uses the color profile generated by your calibration), most browsers are not. This can cause significant differences between what you see in Photoshop vs the browser. There have been many posts here on this issue.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Your web browser isn't color managed, Photoshop is. Search the forums, we've been all over this one.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/