Options

Color Calibration

shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited March 5, 2008 in Finishing School
Ok, so I think I'm going to move up to Photoshop CS2 ,whcih I already own but have not used much because I'm so used to Elements and can get things done much faster in Elements because I know my way around. But so many things are not compatible with Elements, only PHotoshop. Like the ICC profile for EZ prints, among other things. Can someone tell me if I'm correct. I need to download the ICC profile, calibrate my monitor, and do all my work in sRGB since I'm printing through SmugMug, correct? All this color management is blowing my mind!
Stephanie Moon
Canon equipment
My website
equine.pet.people

Comments

• Options
    edknightedknight Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Photoshop color management does have a steep learning curve, but is doable as I using CS to soft proof EZ Prints. I've not used Elements so can't compare. As long as you are using EZ prints and not doing your own color managed printing, then all you need is a calibrated monitor and set up PS to soft proof. After you install EZ Print's profile and restart PS, go to View/Proof Setup/Custom. Pick the EZ Print profile, but I'm sure of the other options (BP Compensation, Paper White, Ink Black) until I find recommendations or order my first EZ Print to compare with the proofing options. Give your proof setup a name, say EZ Print1 and save it. Then to soft proof an open picture, View/Proof Setup/EZ Print1, hitting View/Proof Colors or Control-Y to cycle the proof view on/off.

Yahoo's colorvision_group has lots of color management discussions, though it is associated with the Spyder color management systems.
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Thanks Ed, that helps alot.
    edknight wrote:
    Photoshop color management does have a steep learning curve, but is doable as I using CS to soft proof EZ Prints. I've not used Elements so can't compare. As long as you are using EZ prints and not doing your own color managed printing, then all you need is a calibrated monitor and set up PS to soft proof. After you install EZ Print's profile and restart PS, go to View/Proof Setup/Custom. Pick the EZ Print profile, but I'm sure of the other options (BP Compensation, Paper White, Ink Black) until I find recommendations or order my first EZ Print to compare with the proofing options. Give your proof setup a name, say EZ Print1 and save it. Then to soft proof an open picture, View/Proof Setup/EZ Print1, hitting View/Proof Colors or Control-Y to cycle the proof view on/off.

Yahoo's colorvision_group has lots of color management discussions, though it is associated with the Spyder color management systems.
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people