Options

My First Time Blurring Water.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited March 6, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I went to the San Gabriel mountains found a shaded (by a mountain) area with no one around and only the sound of running water that was waiting to be photographed. Here's my favorite of the bunch.

Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
1/3 sec - F/22
Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV

DSC_1069-web2.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• Options
    RNDRNDRNDRND Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    You got a nice blurring effect. It is a challenge to get the blur without blowing out some of the rest of the picture.
    RND
  • Options
    mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    that is a very impressive picture
    did you do any post editing?
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Excellent shot. I should try it, but I am at odds with my tripod. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    RNDRND: I kind of got lucky, finding that nice big mountain to shade that little valley made for some even lighting. rolleyes1.gif

Brendan: Thank you and yes; curves, sharpening and I had to level the horizon about 3.5 degrees (which means I also had to crop a little), and healing out a couple dust spots.

cunarder: You should have seen me. Not with this shot, this one was taken a little upstream, but with the first few . . . in order to shoot under a fallen tree that blocked 1/3 of the view, I had to straddle a fallen log with the tripod until the center post was resting on it. Not one leg was touching anything solid (one was getting splashed with water, though. :D) The only thing that kept it steady was a variety of branches pushing on it from all sides. I'm surprised those ones came out at all. I'm also surprised I still have a dry camera! rolleyes1.gif

Thank you very much, friends.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    I went to the San Gabriel mountains found a shaded (by a mountain) area with no one around and only the sound of running water that was waiting to be photographed. Here's my favorite of the bunch.

Focal Length: 18mm
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    1/3 sec - F/22
    Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV

I think this shot would look good with more colour saturation added to it.
    Nice location you found there to shoot at.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    Thank you, Skippy! I knew it was in need of something, and I always felt it was too blue. I either raised or lowered everything, except magenta. I also burned in the rocks in the upper right and across the top of the log. Thank you for your suggestion. I'm much happier with it now. clap.gif

DSC_1069-web2copy2.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook