Options

F4U-1 Corsair

cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Went to Planes of Fame in Chino for their Flying Leathernecks event where they talked about the Corsair. It was a cloudy overcast day which made for some challenging shooting. Here are a few of my shots. C/C welcome.

261138993_VXJXH-L.jpg

261143079_4dG8o-L.jpg

261679583_pipWT-L.jpg

261144291_T5qDp-L.jpg

261141081_KHZxu-L.jpg

261141756_vuHMg-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Entire gallery here.

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    As an aviation enthusiast, I'm always interested in airplane pictures. As I tend to like more of a literal presentation, as opposed to an "artsy" approach, I prefer the second picture. That is, obviously, a very subjective position. Since you like the Corsair, you may also like some of my warbird shots at www.black-mamba.smugmug.com. I would love a chance to go to the Planes of Fame facilities. Thanks for sharing.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    niiiiice takes! and it seems the gods of exposure were with you. I like your comp.
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Tim, these are awesome! (That's a word I rarely use, so that means something. :D) The first kept me for a while. But, then I scrolled down to see the rest. All of them are great. I'd like to see more.

I just wish I'd known about this air show, as I don't live too far away. Next time.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    261141081_KHZxu-S.jpg

I know next to nothing about planes and never know what I'm looking at, but this one is phenomenal! bowdown.gif

I like your artistic approach to these. Probably because I am not an airplane enthusiast, I like seeing a different take on subjects like this. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    The third one, of the prop is outstandingthumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    #3 and #4 for me, Tim. Good stuff.
    Chris
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    that's it: sell the prop shot as a business card idea for an airplane enthusiast! use his/her info on the prop.....HOT
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    As an aviation enthusiast, I'm always interested in airplane pictures. As I tend to like more of a literal presentation, as opposed to an "artsy" approach, I prefer the second picture. That is, obviously, a very subjective position. Since you like the Corsair, you may also like some of my warbird shots at www.black-mamba.smugmug.com. I would love a chance to go to the Planes of Fame facilities. Thanks for sharing.

I threw the second one in for the traditional shot. I couldn't get the exposure right when it was making flybys. When I switched to Manual the gear was down and I was out of luck. I like the place so much I got a membership. clap.gif Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Tim, these are awesome! (That's a word I rarely use, so that means something. :D) The first kept me for a while. But, then I scrolled down to see the rest. All of them are great. I'd like to see more.

I just wish I'd known about this air show, as I don't live too far away. Next time.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. It is moments like these that make me want to shoot some more. This was just a monthly event, the main airshow is in May. I will be there. Hopefully we will see you there. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I know next to nothing about planes and never know what I'm looking at, but this one is phenomenal! bowdown.gif

I like your artistic approach to these. Probably because I am not an airplane enthusiast, I like seeing a different take on subjects like this. thumb.gif

Thanks. Coming from you this means a lot. It was hard with all the people around the aircraft. Thanks for the kind words again. :smo
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    The third one, of the prop is outstandingthumb.gif

Eric

Thanks Eric. Seems to be the favorite of the group.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    #3 and #4 for me, Tim. Good stuff.

Thanks Chris. Hope life has been treating you better as of late.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    photodoug wrote:
    that's it: sell the prop shot as a business card idea for an airplane enthusiast! use his/her info on the prop.....HOT

Great idea. Now I just need to find someone. I'm sure any corsair lover would want one. deal.gif
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. It is moments like these that make me want to shoot some more. This was just a monthly event, the main airshow is in May. I will be there. Hopefully we will see you there. thumb.gif

PM me the info and I'll do be there, camera at the ready. :ivar
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Very nice, cunarder thumb.gif

Although I like the #3 shot, I actually like the #4 shot quite a bit as well.

What does one have to do to get to fly these things? mwink.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Went to Planes of Fame in Chino for their Flying Leathernecks event where they talked about the Corsair. It was a cloudy overcast day which made for some challenging shooting. Here are a few of my shots. C/C welcome.

Thanks for looking. Entire gallery here.

Tim these are real sweeeeeeeet!
    I don't know which one I like best ... they all look great.

You got yourself some really great shots there cunarder534 clap.gifclap.gif

Well Done! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Great series!!!! love it.
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    great captures. I love #3 - belongs on a wall.

I drive past that place every morning on my way to the 71 heading into the OC for work. One of these days I am going to have to go in there.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Very nice, cunarder thumb.gif

Although I like the #3 shot, I actually like the #4 shot quite a bit as well.

What does one have to do to get to fly these things? mwink.gif

If you are a member of the museum they will take you up as second seat for a fee. I know the P-51 Mustang and P-40 Warhawk are about $700. They only raffle off the corsair seat once a year. At their airshow you can get better deals if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I think I might try printing that prop shot as a large one like 13x19 or maybe 36x24. Now I just need to convince the wife to let me hang it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    If you are a member of the museum they will take you up as second seat for a fee. I know the P-51 Mustang and P-40 Warhawk are about $700. They only raffle off the corsair seat once a year. At their airshow you can get better deals if I remember correctly.

I've been up in my friend's P-51. It is, without a doubt, the most visceral experience I've ever had in an airplane. I'm a pilot myself, but nothing I've ever flown begins to compare to that plane. My friend has been looking to acquire a Corsair. Here's hoping he can put a deal together because that's another ride I can't wait to take. I've been up in a B-17, B-25, and B-24.
    The opportunity to fly in these old warbirds is rapidly diminishing. I grab at every chance that comes along.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    I've been up in my friend's P-51. It is, without a doubt, the most visceral experience I've ever had in an airplane. I'm a pilot myself, but nothing I've ever flown begins to compare to that plane. My friend has been looking to acquire a Corsair. Here's hoping he can put a deal together because that's another ride I can't wait to take. I've been up in a B-17, B-25, and B-24.
    The opportunity to fly in these old warbirds is rapidly diminishing. I grab at every chance that comes along.

I plan on going up in the P-40 first as that canopy is huuuuuge. My all time dream is the corsair though. At last year's planes of fame airshow they had all three flying p-38 in the air together. I know planes of fame owns 23 skidoo, and the other p-38 is owned private person, and I'm not sure who owns Glacier Girl which planes of fame helped restore to flight ready. deal.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 7, 2008
    I love the angles you chose. Very nice and they make for an intimate view of
    the airplane.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?