Options

GeeBee

AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
The GeeBee was a famous plane in the 1930s.......and was used for pylon racing.....It was also considered the most dangerous plane ever built. The picture is from my archives.

262625047_WQeRY-L.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND C&C ALWAYS WELCOME

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    On first look, I thought the tail section was missing. On closer look I can see that is the whole plane. The photo certainly conveys speed.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    While indeed a handfull to fly, Gen. Jimmy Doolittle proved this plane could be maneuvered quite well. In fact, there is a gentleman ( sorry, I can't recall his name ) flying a GeeBee in current airshows that puts this plane through unbelievable aerobatics. I've flown planes a long time and you couldn't pay me to get behind the controls of this thing.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    While indeed a handfull to fly, Gen. Jimmy Doolittle proved this plane could be maneuvered quite well. In fact, there is a gentleman ( sorry, I can't recall his name ) flying a GeeBee in current airshows that puts this plane through unbelievable aerobatics. I've flown planes a long time and you couldn't pay me to get behind the controls of this thing.

Delmar Benjamin .. he reconstructed the plans, built it in 1991, and flew it for several years, but retired it 4 years ago (unless things have changed in the past 2-3 years). You can still get his book "GeeBee" which recounts his reconstruction of it. Last I heard it was in Florida, but that was three years back. I know he flew that baby very well, and it is not the widdow maker history would make it out to be. I loved watching Delmar fly it at Oshkosh each year and had the opportunity to speak with him a few times. A very interesting man!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Azzaro wrote:
    The GeeBee was a famous plane in the 1930s.......and was used for pylon racing.....It was also considered the most dangerous plane ever built. The picture is from my archives.

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND C&C ALWAYS WELCOME

To tell you the truth when I saw this shot, my first thoughts were ...
    Hmmmm he's only cloned in half a plane... wonder why he did that headscratch.gif

Nice to look back over shots you've archived,
    sometimes you find stuff that you didnt realize you had or thought you deleted.

Interesting shot Azzaro thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Another amazingly cool aircraft. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Thanks everbody for looking and commenting...

hgernhardtjr Oshkosh is a fun place to see during the fly-in... I flew there twice, once in a Mooney and another time in a Luscome. I still have pictures I shot there 40 years ago.

Jimmy Doolittle has made a lot of contributions to aviation....He was the first pilot to fly on instruments...... Needle ball and airspeed... there is a challange.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Gosh, time flies. I quess it has been a while since I saw Mr. Benjamin fly his GeeBee at an airshow. I'm still amazed that he could come across the field with the wings of that plane in a vertical position and not lose altitude.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Gosh, time flies. I quess it has been a while since I saw Mr. Benjamin fly his GeeBee at an airshow. I'm still amazed that he could come across the field with the wings of that plane in a vertical position and not lose altitude.
    I shot the picture of the GeeBee at and airshow while I was living in Mesa....Maybe 15 years ago ..... Oshkosh was when I lived in Indiana and was in my 20s........More like 40 years ago.

I think the fuselage acts like and airfoil in that airplane and its got a lot of power.