Options

The Fly Floor

StagehandStagehand Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I work for one of the oldest continually operated theatres in the country. Our Fly system, used to hoist the curtians, scenery and lighting is of the old school variety called a "hemp" or "rope and sandbag" system, or actually in our case, synthetic ropes. The sand is still real :D

17425905_ChQ2k-800x800.jpg

There's over 3 miles of rope in the whole thing.

The whole thing including pipes, rope, and sand weighs almost 10,000 pounds before we hang any curtains or anything on it. Up until very recently, the entire thing was made of wood. From the support structure overhead, to the pins and rail it operated from, to the pulleys and sheaves themselves, all wood. We decided to give it a little steel jewelry sprucing up for its 140th birthday. :wink

101824328_LamtP-L-1.jpg

The space it occupies is 25 feet deep, almost 80 feet across, and the pipes have 56 feet of free height travel, with an additional 6 feet of room above the ropes, for access.

14512972_PvzZt-800x800.jpg

It a giant mechanical advantage machine enabling a single stagehand to fly an object the weighs more than 800lbs singlehandedly, with no more effort than climbing a flight of stairs. It how they used to do back in the old days. If it looks like a sailing ship to you, youre right! we use the same technology as a wooden boat.

14512965_jaRss-800x800.jpg

Its a pretty cool thing. :thumb Come on by, I'll give you a tour.

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Very interesting view of what theater-goers take for granted. Thanks for the behind the scenes look.
    It must take quite a bit of time to "learn the ropes"! :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Those are very cool.thumb.gif A real tour would be great, thanks.:D
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Stagehand wrote:
    I work for one of the oldest continually operated theatres in the country. Our Fly system, used to hoist the curtians, scenery and lighting is of the old school variety called a "hemp" or "rope and sandbag" system, or actually in our case, synthetic ropes. The sand is still real :D
    There's over 3 miles of rope in the whole thing.
    The whole thing including pipes, rope, and sand weighs almost 10,000 pounds before we hang any curtains or anything on it. Up until very recently, the entire thing was made of wood. From the support structure overhead, to the pins and rail it operated from, to the pulleys and sheaves themselves, all wood. We decided to give it a little steel jewelry sprucing up for its 140th birthday. mwink.gif

The space it occupies is 25 feet deep, almost 80 feet across, and the pipes have 56 feet of free height travel, with an additional 6 feet of room above the ropes, for access.
    It a giant mechanical advantage machine enabling a single stagehand to fly an object the weighs more than 800lbs singlehandedly, with no more effort than climbing a flight of stairs. It how they used to do back in the old days. If it looks like a sailing ship to you, youre right! we use the same technology as a wooden boat.

Its a pretty cool thing. thumb.gif Come on by, I'll give you a tour.

It does look like a sailing ship :D
    It's amazing what goes on behind the scenes, that no one gets to see,
    and most folks wouldn't even know anything about.

The show can't go on without the people behind the scenes.

Many many years ago I went to see a stage show called "Annie" in Melbourne.

That was the first time I had ever been in a big theatre before,
    and I was amazed at what goes on during a big production.

You stage people really make things flow so nicely clap.gif

Thanks for showing us a little behind the scenes Stagehand thumb.gif
    Looks a little scary actually .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    StagehandStagehand Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    thanks guys!

missed one I meant to add:

115730305_RbPq8-800x800.jpg

This is a shot after we had swapped out some of the wooden members for steel. thumb.gif

This was shot during a run of the Nutcracker. We must be in the Livingroom scene in Act I because you can see the Candyland drops from Act II