Options

technical questions on this landscape...

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited March 12, 2008 in Landscapes
Do you think the composition could be better if I had not cut off the lower 'jut'?

The focus is on the grassy snowy area in the foreground, would it be more pleasing to have had the entire scene in focus?

Any other input is appreciated. Thanks!

262360384_W5fQb-XL.jpg
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• Options
    edknightedknight Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Nice setting and I think the focus is good. I often miss foreground focus in my landscapes and that mistake is a big problem to me.

In your photo, I would, however, have preferred to see continuous water from the bottom. Seems like my eye starts with the water at the bottom of the frame and, oops! Just personal preference, but I've scrapped lots of pics of water and sandfor that reason.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Tessa. Good afternoon. :D

My appreciation is as follow:

I would like to have all the scene in focus. For that you should use the DoF, HD etc. and I hope you know these things.
    I would like to see a little more on the right, more field, more area.
    BUT, more area mainly to the sides, not up and down.

If you want to incorporate all the stream (water flowing) this position is obviously not good, but in your picture I would clone the area from the stream appearing at the bottom right.
    Like if the stream would flow towards the outside of the rectangle/composition.

This kind of opinion is always relative. One may like it the way it is and another one may hate it, which is not at ll my case anyway.:D

Remember Tessa, that I am only an addicted and concerned amateur.:D

thumb.gif

Tessa. I just remembered: If you can go to the location again - I am sure it is not like it was when you shot - and shoot 10 to 15 pictures under different points of view.
    Try to choose one, I mean ONE picture which pleases you.

Can we see that one please ?

Shoot on your knees, up above 3 meters if you can from a tree - don't fall down or you would brack yourself and, the most important, the camera with you mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif - shoot in many different positions.

:D Will you do that, please ? And show us.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    edknight wrote:
    In your photo, I would, however, have preferred to see continuous water from the bottom. Seems like my eye starts with the water at the bottom of the frame and, oops!

Thank you for you comments. Hopefully the weather will get like this again and I can try to reshoot. What drew me to the scene was all the curves, and I'm bummed I cut off an important one.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    Tessa. I just remembered: If you can go to the location again - I am sure it is not like it was when you shot - and shoot 10 to 15 pictures under different points of view.
    Try to choose one, I mean ONE picture which pleases you.

Can we see that one please ?

Shoot on your knees, up above 3 meters if you can from a tree - don't fall down or you would brack yourself and, the most important, the camera with you mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif - shoot in many different positions.

:D Will you do that, please ? And show us.
    thumb.gif

Thank you for your comments Antonio. I'm actually not familiar with HD - I should be they're my middle initials. :D I will go back and reshoot, and repost. I'll try to get the whole scene in more focus and better composition hopefully!

Tessa HD

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    Tessa. A link.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Do you think the composition could be better if I had not cut off the lower 'jut'?

The focus is on the grassy snowy area in the foreground, would it be more pleasing to have had the entire scene in focus?

Any other input is appreciated. Thanks!

262360384_W5fQb-XL.jpg

The thing in the lower right corner bugs me. In general, triangles in corners are bad and indicate you didn't zoom in tight enough (or crop enough). I might also clone out the single blade of grass in the middle of the snow.

Focus, etc., look okay to me -- the picture is small enough here for me to not really notice.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    The thing in the lower right corner bugs me. In general, triangles in corners are bad and indicate you didn't zoom in tight enough (or crop enough). I might also clone out the single blade of grass in the middle of the snow.

Focus, etc., look okay to me -- the picture is small enough here for me to not really notice.

Thank you for your input! Agreed.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Whenever I see images that just dont work, the very first concept I use is "simplify". Usually the image is too busy, not highlighting any subject nor mood. I believe this is happening in your shot and therefore giving all of us on this forum too many things to complain about:D

Great setting though, I agree with Antonio, go back and shoot diff angles.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Today - our mind never stops - I thought you could go and shoot from inside the water, very low, at water level.

The water is fresh and quiet so, no spills...

How about this ?mwink.gifwink
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Whenever I see images that just dont work, the very first concept I use is "simplify". Usually the image is too busy, not highlighting any subject nor mood. I believe this is happening in your shot and therefore giving all of us on this forum too many things to complain about:D

bowdown.gif

Thank you for all of these nuggets of wisdom, Marc!
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Tessa:

I'm not an expert on landscapes; just a wannabe, so I'll quote from what I consider to be a very good book on landscapes:

In his book Audubon Society Guide to Landscape Photography, Tim Fitzharris states;

"The image will be most arresting if it displays sharply from front to back (is in focus). This can be accomplished by shooting at the smallest aperture to maximize depth of field, and by focusing about one third of the way into the picture space to center the in-focus zone over the framed area. Use your cameras' depth-of-field preview feature to check results in the viewfinder".

Elsewhere in the book, he says;

"Use the depth of field preview to view the scene at shooting aperture. Make sure the viewfinder is well hooded, give your eyes a few moments to adjust to the dimness and examine the scene carefully. Start with focus at infinity and back off until the most distant features begin to lose sharpness. Reverse focus a smidge and then examine the foremost picture elements for adequate detail. If they are not sharp, adjust to a smaller aperture, or move the tripod back from the foreground features and repeat the procedure".

He also covers the topic of diffraction resolution:

"To attain the best combination of image resolution and depth of field, you need to determine the sharpest aperture for the lens. Use this setting whenever it provides adequate DOF for your purposes. Sometimes the highest resolving power is only marginally better than an aperture two or three stops smaller. In such cases, opt for the lower resolution/greater depth of field aperture if it furthers you compositional goals."

On this last topic (diffraction resolution), one can easily obatin the sharpest aperture for any lens by looking at the MTF charts for the lens. I suggest the simplest way to do this is here:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

Pick your lens from the listing, and then look under "Article Index", and select Analysis, and scroll down to MTF (resolution), where the best f/stops will be clearly obvious.

The following link is for my favourite lens, and you can tell why by looking at the MTF charts; it's rated Excellent from f/2.8 to f/8 for all focal lengths.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/178-canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f28-usm-is-test-report--review?start=1
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008

Great setting though, I agree with Antonio, go back and shoot diff angles.

Nice observation, good advice. I need to go back and make the focus on the thing that drew me, and simplify it, and increase my dof. We're getting a lot of fresh snow this weekend. I'll have to revisit this. Hopefully I'll have something to post later! Thank you Marc.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    Today - our mind never stops - I thought you could go and shoot from inside the water, very low, at water level.

The water is fresh and quiet so, no spills...

How about this ?mwink.gifwink
    thumb.gif

Well, I'd need to purchase some waders, the water is probably up to my hips at the edge there. We'll see. We getting a big snow storm, I'll recheck things this weekend and hopefully have a better post soon! Thanks!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    Glenn -thank you for taking the time to share the good quotes. I definitely want to improve my landscape skills. This has been a good educational thread for me. I'm shooting with a Sony R-1, which is fixed lens, obviously somewhat limiting, but I need to learn better how to make it work where possible. Thanks for the links too.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    ...I'm shooting with a Sony R-1, which is fixed lens, obviously somewhat limiting ...

Insist with that lens. Don't get a zoom, at least not yet.

Use that lens and try to look and see with your camera as with your own eyes.

Do I make myself understand ?

When you look at a scene you should have an idea of what you get using the camera with that lens.
    I should say that you would have the lens and it's crop area in the eyes and with this you can very quickly place yourself on the right position, or not far from it.

OK ? :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Insist with that lens. Don't get a zoom, at last yet.

Use that lens and try to look and see with your camera gives only with your eyes.

Do I make myself understand ?

When you look at a scene you should have an idea of what you get using the camera with that lens. I should say that you would have the lens and it's crop area in the eyes and with this you can very quickly place yourself on the right position, or not far from it.

OK ? :Dthumb.gif
    Antonio,
    You make a good pointwings.gif
    I used three primary lenses with my large format 4x5 camera system for 15 years. For the last decade I was able to walk up to a scene and determine what lens I needed way before I set the camera up. I have explained in previous posts that often when I began fumbling with diff lenses, there was no photo in the first place. I believe we have great first reads, it just takes us years to trust ourselves.
  • Options
    samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Hi Tessa

I do not an expert on landscapes, but I Keep going for the best shot. A book that appears to help or that gave me some ideas was "The Photographer's Eye By Michael Freeman". It has some good ideas to try, But for the most part I used it for ideas.

I hope this helps you

Gilclap.gif
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Insist with that lens. Don't get a zoom, at least not yet./quote]

Antonio - I went back to the location yesterday because I thought conditions would be similar to when I first shot the picture, and you know what, it was so different it was as if the scene wasn't there anymore. I took some other photos there that are still in my camera. I'm sorry I was unable to reshoot and repost. Many times we only get one chance! Thank you for you kind words and taking the time to help me.

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    samsplace wrote:
    "The Photographer's Eye By Michael Freeman". It has some good ideas to try, But for the most part I used it for ideas.

I hope this helps you

Gilclap.gif

Thanks Gil, I'll check it out!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Insist with that lens. Don't get a zoom, at least not yet./quote]

Antonio - I went back to the location yesterday because I thought conditions would be similar to when I first shot the picture, and you know what, it was so different it was as if the scene wasn't there anymore. I took some other photos there that are still in my camera. I'm sorry I was unable to reshoot and repost. Many times we only get one chance! Thank you for you kind words and taking the time to help me.

Tessa

My pleasure. :D Next time you do it to me. :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    my re-shoot was better than expected!!! I simplified and it helped!

264730350_exc5u-L.jpg

264709660_GLA8t-L.jpg

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    See Tessa ? I think it worked and you got nice pictures, now.clap.gif
    That's good. :D
    I like the first one very much.iloveyou.gif
    but not so much the second one... :cry

For me the composition is poor, too straight, too many lines, almost no curves ...ne_nau.gif

:Dbowdown.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    See Tessa ? I think it worked and you got nice pictures, now.clap.gif
    That's good. :D
    I like the first one very much.iloveyou.gif
    but not so much the second one... :cry

For me the composition is poor, too straight, too many lines, almost no curves ...ne_nau.gif

:Dbowdown.gifthumb

Thanks Antonio! I prefer the first one too. But what I liked about the second one is it reminded me of an abstract painting where the artist piles a bunch of paint at the top and lets it run down.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Thanks Antonio! I prefer the first one too. But what I liked about the second one is it reminded me of an abstract painting where the artist piles a bunch of paint at the top and lets it run down.

OK It is very personal then.:D
    By the way: I do one thing that I have never seen argued and that is the format of a picture.

I have read something about this in Luminous Landscape some time ago but I - as long as I can remember - didn't agree with Michael at the time.
    In fact, I always use the same size for my pictures. Mania may be.ne_nau.gif

Today I was printing a lesson from Alain Briot and he was in fact using many different formats.

Of course if we are shooting a landscape/panorama we can't have the same format as a portrait, but within certain limits...ne_nau.gif
    thumb.gifD

Mark: what do you say to this format question ?
    Sorry Tessa if I am hijacking ...
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    Of course if we are shooting a landscape/panorama we can't have the same format as a portrait, but within certain limits..

Mark: what do you say to this format question ?
    Sorry Tessa if I am hijacking ...

Antonio, I'd say there is no argument. I don't force all of my pictures into a fixed size, unless I'm taking someone's portrait for a specific purpose. Anything else, I crop it so that's it's most appealing. Just like an oil painter, they sketch their painting and choose a canvas that fits it, and there are numerous size canvases.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Antonio, I'd say there is no argument. I don't force all of my pictures into a fixed size, unless I'm taking someone's portrait for a specific purpose. Anything else, I crop it so that's it's most appealing. Just like an oil painter, they sketch their painting and choose a canvas that fits it, and there are numerous size canvases.

:Dthumb.gif:D