Options

I'm NOT watching you... (and some graffiti)

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I was out for a little bit today, looking around for something to shoot; This is what I came up with:
260956916_UmHeQ-L.jpg

I ran across quite a bit of graffiti as well:
260951935_wF6mb-L.jpg

260952205_ZbSwH-L.jpg

Comments and Critique are most appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Wow! The composition of #1 is fantastic. I like that the holes are off centre from one another.
    Can you describe what I'm looking at? What are the holes? Why are there eyes in the last hole? How long did you have to wait for people to walk by?

Looking at #2, it seemed like you had a circle theme going.

And the cat in #3 looks like he is going to jump out of the wall. Good angle on that one!
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    These are incredible, Ivar. The holes keep me coming back.

Your graffiti shots have a lot of punch. The focus, contrast and colors are incredible. clap.gif I wish there was more like that in Los Angeles. There is some, but it's still aimed at marking territory like a dog. Some of it is beautiful, but I'd be afraid to photograph it for fear of being shot by gang members. (It's getting really bad here. Just three nights ago there was a drive-by around the corner from me. First one ever in my neighborhood. :cry)

Sorry for the social commentary.

Great work! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    very nice ivar!

i'm assuming the first photo is shot in a metro? (i might be cheating a bit because ivar lives in the same country as i do rolleyes1.gif)

think the crops work well with the lines and the grafity in the last two! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    These are reaaallyyyy nice Ivar bowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Ooo I love these! :ivar

The composition of the first is really great! The motion blur of the people really adds to that sneaky urban feeling. Especially with the eyes! What kind of peephole is that?

I think the lines of the path work really well for drawing the eyes along the walls to "read" the graffiti. Amazing artists in your town! The last one is probably my favorite because the small amount of color at the vanishing point is really the reward at the end of all that monochrome stuff in the foreground. But again the lines just pull you in. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2008
    Moni wrote:
    Wow! The composition of #1 is fantastic. I like that the holes are off centre from one another.
    Can you describe what I'm looking at? What are the holes? Why are there eyes in the last hole? How long did you have to wait for people to walk by?

Looking at #2, it seemed like you had a circle theme going.

And the cat in #3 looks like he is going to jump out of the wall. Good angle on that one!
    Thanks, Moni!

The first shot was taken underneath a railway-bridge. On the side where I was standing, there was a sidewalk, and a bicycle lane. Then two car lanes, and another bicycle lane & sidewalk. The sidewalks were a good bit higher than the rest.

The eyes are artwork on the walls.
    very nice ivar!

i'm assuming the first photo is shot in a metro? (i might be cheating a bit because ivar lives in the same country as i do rolleyes1.gif)

think the crops work well with the lines and the grafity in the last two! thumb.gif
    Nope, no metro :D Underneath a bridge. We don't even have a metro here in Utrecht, I think.

Thanks for the comments, Chris thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    These are incredible, Ivar. The holes keep me coming back.

Your graffiti shots have a lot of punch. The focus, contrast and colors are incredible. clap.gif I wish there was more like that in Los Angeles. There is some, but it's still aimed at marking territory like a dog. Some of it is beautiful, but I'd be afraid to photograph it for fear of being shot by gang members. (It's getting really bad here. Just three nights ago there was a drive-by around the corner from me. First one ever in my neighborhood. :cry)

Sorry for the social commentary.

Great work! thumb.gif
    Thanks! :curtsey

I actually hardly did any processing to the shots. The graffiti was pretty 'punchy' on its own :D

The graffiti was actually on the sides of a bicycle lane, no sidewalk, so I was dodging bicycles a bit every now and then rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    These are reaaallyyyy nice Ivar bowdown.gif
    Thanks, Marina! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Ooo I love these! :ivar

The composition of the first is really great! The motion blur of the people really adds to that sneaky urban feeling. Especially with the eyes! What kind of peephole is that?

I think the lines of the path work really well for drawing the eyes along the walls to "read" the graffiti. Amazing artists in your town! The last one is probably my favorite because the small amount of color at the vanishing point is really the reward at the end of all that monochrome stuff in the foreground. But again the lines just pull you in. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Schmoo :D

The 'peephole' is underneath a bridge, not far from where the graffiti shots were taken, actually. The second graffiti shot is also my favorite.

The sides of the bicycle lane are actually 'graffiti walls', it's legal to paint them.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I was out for a little bit today, looking around for something to shoot; This is what I came up with:

I ran across quite a bit of graffiti as well:
    Comments and Critique are most appreciated!

Wow Ivar that first shot is really something special clap.gif :ivar
    Its like a picture within a picture, very creative indeed!

Love the graffiti walls, some great talent there.
    We have one whole street done like this (legal) but other graffiti wannabe's
    have started to destroy the works by putting their silly awful signatures over the top of the existing work.

Felix the cat hahaha I remember that old show from back when I was a kid.

Great Post Ivar, thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow Ivar that first shot is really something special clap.gif :ivar
    Its like a picture within a picture, very creative indeed!

Love the graffiti walls, some great talent there.
    We have one whole street done like this (legal) but other graffiti wannabe's
    have started to destroy the works by putting their silly awful signatures over the top of the existing work.

Felix the cat hahaha I remember that old show from back when I was a kid.

Great Post Ivar, thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Thanks, Skippy :curtsey

There is actually not a lot of graffiti around, where I live. But these walls are legal places. Mainly it is done to prevent to 'tagging' or 'ugly' graffiti. For the same reason, they painted a temporary building at my old High School.

The interesting thing is, I've never actually seen Felix the Cat before, here in the NL. I don't remember any comics or cartoons of him ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    bowdown.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    #1 is outstanding! There are some really good graffiti artists there. The golden face in #2 with the smiley on the forehead is creepy! clap.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    bowdown.gif
    eek7.gif more bows... Thanks, David :D
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    #1 is outstanding! There are some really good graffiti artists there. The golden face in #2 with the smiley on the forehead is creepy! clap.gif
    Hahaha, I never thought of it as being creepy, but I guess I could see that lol3.gif

I should go find some more graffiti, it's a willing model usually, and it always sits still :D
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    I love the first one! it´s catches your eye...i spent much time lookin on this one.

ANd i allso love the great contrast pop you got there on the graffiti photos. I do the same on mine. They stand out so much better if you "pop" it a bit =). wounderful wall with great art on it..would love to shoot there!.

Thanx for sharing.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    I love the first one! it´s catches your eye...i spent much time lookin on this one.

ANd i allso love the great contrast pop you got there on the graffiti photos. I do the same on mine. They stand out so much better if you "pop" it a bit =). wounderful wall with great art on it..would love to shoot there!.

Thanx for sharing.
    Thanks arvan,

The walls are actually pretty neat; They are part of a tunnel as well. Total length is at least a few hundred meters, I would say.

I added very little pop actually, the walls are pretty 'poppy' on their own. These pieces seemed to stand out a bit more also, maybe they were relatively recent?