Options

Image Adjustments

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Finishing School
Hey Guys,

How does one know when a photo looks good when making adjustments with an image editor? Is it somewhat a matter of opinion? What guidelines
can one go by? I'm referring to color, sharpenening, highlights, etc adjustments.

Thx,

Tom
Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    1000 people would adjust the same photo differently. Just do it to what pleases your eye.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    gus wrote:
    1000 people would adjust the same photo differently. Just do it to what pleases your eye.

Well, that's kind of the answer I'M leaning toward. However, if that's the
    "correct" answer, why is there immeasureable discussion on the subject? Not being a wise guy - I'm sincerely confused - as I'm sure MANY folks are.:D

Thx a lot for any comments mwink.gif
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Tom Potter wrote:
    Well, that's kind of the answer I'M leaning toward. However, if that's the
    "correct" answer, why is there immeasureable discussion on the subject? Not being a wise guy - I'm sincerely confused - as I'm sure MANY folks are.:D

Thx a lot for any comments mwink.gif
    Same reason there is immeasurable discussion on politics/religion/car types/cameras/food etc etc ∞ Everyone see's something differently & everyone loves to put their own point forward just as i am doing here.

Personally i think once you have the basics in hand anything else is a moot point as its not the quality of the photo...its the composition/subject. People forget that & spend months reading.. studying ... discussing & perfecting a photo or a method when a truly magnificent world is spinning by them right outside their door but they will have the respect of millions online with getting G >= B with both a fraction of R.

I have a saying on a bit of old paper stuck to the wall beside my desk... "reaching for the stars, he misses the flowers at his feet"

The above is of course one persons perception of your question & there is no doubt ∞ more.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Here are a few goals you might choose for your image adjustments. Note that I call them goals rather than rules. They are almost always where I start from when I am processing an image. Sometimes I will deliberately choose ignore one of them but, when I do, I try to be clear about why and what I am trying to achieve.

1. Colors should be realistic: Whites should look white, blacks should look black, skin should look natural, and so forth.

2. Dynamic range should be used well with nothing important should be lost to the shadows and, if you have them (many people consider this a faux pas) transitions to white in blown out areas should be smooth rather than posterized.

3. Important elements in the photo should be well separated from their environment. Color and luminance contrast are both tools to which can be used to draw the eye into story of the photograph.

4. Adjustments should be done in a way which calls attention to the image rather than the processing used.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    gus wrote:

Personally i think once you have the basics in hand anything else is a moot point as its not the quality of the photo...its the composition/subject. People forget that & spend months reading.. studying ... discussing & perfecting a photo or a method when a truly magnificent world is spinning by them right outside their door but they will have the respect of millions online with getting G >= B with both a fraction of R.

You are absolutely right here. Good post shouldn't be hard. If you find yourself thrashing in Photoshop unclear about what to do, the right answer is usually to pick up your camera and take more pictures.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Here are a few goals you might choose for your image adjustments. Note that I call them goals rather than rules. They are almost always where I start from when I am processing an image. Sometimes I will deliberately choose ignore one of them but, when I do, I try to be clear about why and what I am trying to achieve.

1. Colors should be realistic: Whites should look white, blacks should look black, skin should look natural, and so forth.

2. Dynamic range should be used well with nothing important should be lost to the shadows and, if you have them (many people consider this a faux pas) transitions to white in blown out areas should be smooth rather than posterized.

3. Important elements in the photo should be well separated from their environment. Color and luminance contrast are both tools to which can be used to draw the eye into story of the photograph.

4. Adjustments should be done in a way which calls attention to the image rather than the processing used.

Good, sensible advice in my opinion.

Anthony.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Image Editor
    Anthony wrote:
    Good, sensible advice in my opinion.

Anthony.

Thanks to all for the great comments. Absolutely, perfect, logical sense. Of course, those wonderful comments have nothing to do with the fact that they are exactly what my thoughts are. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, though, that's the way I was figuring things, and, like I said, being a newbie to the digital side, I needed to get some input.

Love the quote, Gus, ""reaching for the stars, he misses the flowers at his feet". Something every outdoor photographer needs to always keep in mind!

Thanks again to all for your input :D

Tom

Colorado
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado