Options

Lens for 20D

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited March 17, 2005 in Cameras
Ok I just got my 20D. I must say I don't like the 28-55 that came with it.

After dropping my pocket book on the camera I REALLY can't go out and spent much if any money.

I'm looking for a replacement lens. Something more durable and better optics for a decent price. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Are the Sigma lenses good?

Thanks in advance
kc7dji

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Ive never owned a DSLR but i would not put re-treads on a Ferrari.

You have a great camera so dont now skimp on possibly the most important bit.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Are you willing to spend around $340?

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is an awesome lens for the price. Tamron currently has a $40 mail in rebate on it. Yes it does not have the same build as an L series lens, but the picture quality is superb. I love mine.

See this thread for some examples of the Tamron:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7921
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Can you afford the 28-135 Canon, not L. I used that the last year. I am missing it a bit now. Good thing I like wide and can work with it, but that 28-135 was a gem. (Andy suggested I keep it.) (Oh, I have a 17-40L) So far I have not had to deal with distortion, I will see when I get a baptism shot where the candle shows.

Other than that I can deal with wide very well, but I do miss that 28-135. I sold it cheap, too, as I had scratched the lens, but it didn't show in the "product".

The next thing I get is going to cover between 40 and 70, I am hoping for a zoom, but I will get that 50mmL probably. That would be good at the baptisms. It is good for low light. I don't take a lot of indoor shots. If I want to handhold just about anything, I can. But you will hear a lot of people who adore that lens.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    2nd vote for the Tamron...
    I'll second what Khaos said,

I have the Tamron and have been very pleased with the quality for the price. BTW, you can get it at Canoga Camera for $320 after rebate. I highly recommend them for online purchasing.

There is always the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for $70 as well. Hard to go wrong with that one for the price also.

If you could give us your budget and what you enjoy shooting the most it would make it easier to narrow down our suggestions.

I assume you mean the 18-55mm (you typed 28-55)? Don't give up on it too soon. I agree it's build leaves a lot to be desired, but I shot with mine for about six months on my Digital Rebel and was very surprised at how good some of the shots came out. It's not a bad interim lens and gives you decent wide coverage for the time being.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    I'm selling my 28-135 if you're interested.

See here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7595
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    I debated between the 17-85 EFS and the 17-40L. I went with the EFS lens simply for flexibility reasons. I've been pretty happy with it. It won't fit on my old Elan, but since I've gotten the 20D, I haven't felt the slightest need to go back to film.

Chris
    Chris
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Lens Update
    Ok I think my b*tching about the lens may have been a little pre-mature. I've switched to the good ole trusty manual mode and changed the preferences in the camer where I could add a little contrast and sharpness. Boy did that make a difference. It must have been more of the Default settings in the camer than the lens.

I've plugged in some light and the detail really starts to appear.

Thanks for all the replys. I think my boss has cut my photo budget for a while. I'm still sucking up since the purchase of the 20D. rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif

Maybe Santa Clause will love me this year.

kc7dji