resolution question

awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Video
This season I've helped shoot my highschool's hockey team using my D80. The team is putting together a DVD slideshow to showcase the season and also my work.

I'm going to be sending them files, but I want to know what the proper size would be for the image. I want to really give them the bare minimum to save on space and also to prevent my images from being given out in the event that someone gets a copy of the orginal cd.

So the question really becomes what is the proper size for stills to be used on DVD that would look good, but can't be made into prints? (1080x? or smaller?)
awmphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    awmphoto wrote:
    This season I've helped shoot my highschool's hockey team using my D80. The team is putting together a DVD slideshow to showcase the season and also my work.

I'm going to be sending them files, but I want to know what the proper size would be for the image. I want to really give them the bare minimum to save on space and also to prevent my images from being given out in the event that someone gets a copy of the orginal cd.

So the question really becomes what is the proper size for stills to be used on DVD that would look good, but can't be made into prints? (1080x? or smaller?)

720x480 with a NTSC D1 0.1:1 pixel aspect ratio or 640x480 with square pixels depending on how, when you encode your video. since your final product will be a dvd, it's really going to depend on how it gets mastered and where arranging your images fall in your workflow.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Thank you for your advice, I was begining to think I might not get an answer on that one.
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I agree with what DI-Joe said. However, if the video is comming out in HD, you will need to do a larger file size so that your photos don't look horrible. Since it is HS, probably not HD, but thought I'd mention it since things are definately moving that direction.

640x480 would be good for normal TV. If your photo is a different size, you need to crop it to fit. Otherwise the video guys might crop it by making it larger to fit the screen - you should find out how they are planning to do it (if they are going to make your images full screen/stretch to fit or not).
    ~ Lisa
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I agree with what DI-Joe said. However, if the video is comming out in HD, you will need to do a larger file size so that your photos don't look horrible. Since it is HS, probably not HD, but thought I'd mention it since things are definately moving that direction.

640x480 would be good for normal TV. If your photo is a different size, you need to crop it to fit. Otherwise the video guys might crop it by making it larger to fit the screen - you should find out how they are planning to do it (if they are going to make your images full screen/stretch to fit or not).

that was the reason I went for what I did, he mentioned DVD slideshow. When I hear DVD, I think NTSC D1.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876