Options

Opinions & Experiences Wanted!

lightdreamerlightdreamer Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited March 10, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
My trial is ending (or ended, I think) and I'm still tossing around signing on as a new Pro member. I don't want to start with a "Tell me why I should?" question, as I think SmugMug has already shown me all the great things they do and have done, right down to this guy "Andy" who seems to be everywhere at once helping people :)

In any case, I have some things I wasn't sure about, and before I determine that they aren't available, I want to ask, and at the same time hear from some of you Pros and how the site has helped you out.

1. I would like to see if there is a news or blog part for Pros. On my current site, I like to keep people up-to-date on latest news or where I'll be appearing or showing a gallery.

2. I ordered a Lustre, Matte, and Glossy version of a photo, and got almost three different results on the actual prints. Lustre was a little oversaturated, Glossy looked slightly warm (yellow) and Matte looked perfect. Is this a result of the methods used for glossing and coating? In any case, I'm not a fan of glossy anyhow, but I figured I would ask.

3. How do any of you Pro users find the customizing of the site? I'd like to point my existing domain to here if I choose to sign on, but I want to make sure I have enough visual control.

4. And lastly, is there any search or "Latest Additions" functions available? Most of my visitors come to see my latest photos so I have a section for that, is there another way to do this on SmugMug?

Thanks for any input, I really like the design and style of the site and the options it gives me. The price is not an issue as running my own site is costing about the same, plus the extra development time (I'm a developer by day, so I have a little experience there. :) )

Ross

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited January 28, 2008
    My trial is ending (or ended, I think) and I'm still tossing around signing on as a new Pro member. I don't want to start with a "Tell me why I should?" question, as I think SmugMug has already shown me all the great things they do and have done, right down to this guy "Andy" who seems to be everywhere at once helping people :)

In any case, I have some things I wasn't sure about, and before I determine that they aren't available, I want to ask, and at the same time hear from some of you Pros and how the site has helped you out.

1. I would like to see if there is a news or blog part for Pros. On my current site, I like to keep people up-to-date on latest news or where I'll be appearing or showing a gallery.
    You could use an html-only page to use to communicate things like this to your customers. If you take a look at my Kaleidoscope page - that's an html-only gallery that I use to highlight my latest galleries.
    3. How do any of you Pro users find the customizing of the site? I'd like to point my existing domain to here if I choose to sign on, but I want to make sure I have enough visual control.
    You have a lot of control over the look and feel of your site. This gallery - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1801307#118526631 - is linked to from the >>> CUSTOMIZATION: Start here <<< sticky in the customization forum. It contains some screen shots and links to some very nice SmugMug sites.
    4. And lastly, is there any search or "Latest Additions" functions available? Most of my visitors come to see my latest photos so I have a section for that, is there another way to do this on SmugMug?
    There is the capability to show photos by date, plus there are RSS feeds available.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thanks Denise, very appreciated. I supposed what I was looking for would be available, but I spent most of the trial time doodling with images, setting up different themes and testing the print quality.

I'm getting closer, thanks again!
  • Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    If you want to look at my site, I have a recent gallery that is done via javascript code. The customization is anything you can imagine. I also have a separate link to sports page (Gallery--->Sports) that is hosted on another domain.

The 100% guarantee and the no hassle of having to make my own prints...plus the unbelievable support you get from these guys by far surpasses anything else that is out there...been there, done that and now I am "home"

Best of luck
    Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I think the reality of choosing a portfolio solution is MOSTLY based on budget....

Smuggie is the most affordable with many options. But, if my budget was about $5K annually, I would go with something completely different. And, if my budget was $10K or more I would probably choose something like this- http://alaskastock.com/Index.asp

But, for a $100 a year and with some AWESOME support, smuggie is the best game in town IMHO.
  • Options
    LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I dont way in much, because the fine people on this site have been here longer and seem to have the perfect answer to all my questions(and I ask a lot). but this area I have some experience in. I was with more photos/ wd webb for the last year and a half selling my pictures and It turned out to be a huge waste of money, they charge you for anything over 25oo pictures posted. There order manager system never works correctly. So you end up having to upload the images to your own vendor and fill your order that way. PayPal handles payment, but your credit card gets charged every time you fill an order ( as opposed to just the customers C/C) though Customer support was helpful, they didnt give you any real control of your own site'

So i spent $250 for there program, $150 per month to keep my pics there (average 12000 on site at any time) and I ended up filling my own orders anyway)
    Smugmug has made my life so much easier, and My wife doesnt complain because i am not on the computer all day now.

I didnt think I would do anything more than post my pics here but this community has made it fun and a bit addicting to build up my site.
    Sorry for the long post, but I had to get that off my chest about another photo site

Go SmugMug
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Thanks for all the input, I've come on board and I'm now getting used to the customizations. I've gotten fast answers and support from my questions so far, and anything else I've had a question on, I've found in one of the tutorials.