Options

West Coast Trip Additional Question

starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
So I just found out that I will have an additional 4 days while on my west coast trip. I was hoping to get an recommendation of a national park to go to. I'm looking to spend the whole 4 days at a single park so that I get the chance to explore it. If you could recommend a park that is within a few hours driving time from the coast that would provide us with a few days worth of adventures I would appreciate it. Thanks to all!

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    First one that comes to mind is Yosemite.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    First one that comes to mind is Yosemite.
    When are you going? There are accessibility issues with some parks in Winter, even late Spring. You can get fresh snows and have some areas closed at elevations over a few 1000 feet in California.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    if in Spring ... Death Valley ... a very interesting place ... although Yosemite is considered by many as the most beautiful place on Earth ... but that been mentioned.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    I will be going the beginning of July. Probably just after the 4th but no later than mid july.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    I will be going the beginning of July. Probably just after the 4th but no later than mid july.
    Well, Then many things off the San Jaquin (Sp?) Valley. National Park Service: Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks as well as Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (previously mentioned). Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service) and Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service).

All good. First two or second two doable over four days (with a lot of driving) together.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    You might also consider Mammouth Mountain Area, with Juno Lake, Devil's Postpile (nice hike there with plenty to shoot) plus the whole highway 395 drive can take you 4 days if you stop and shoot along the way. (AGAIN, many places to get shots along that route- from mountain areas, to desert)
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Yosemite in early July is a bit tricky. If you want to avoid tourists who try to feed the wildlife, loud campgrounds with music blaring out of tents, and people not staying on marked trails, then don't go to the Valley.

Yes, Yosemite Valley has the world-famous and iconic views of Half Dome and El Capitan, but it's not worth it during the park's busiest time of the year. Don't get me wrong, Yosemite is my favorite place in the whole world, but I usually avoid it in the summer months due to the overcrowding.

But if you still want to visit Yosemite, I'd recommend going up to Tuolumne Meadows, a 90 minute drive from the valley. The northern section of the park is where I go to get far away from the maddening crowds. It actually feels like you're communing with Nature as opposed to fighting the crowds down in the Valley.

The accommodations are more "rustic" i.e. Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and more spartan i.e. camping.

The views from Tuolumne, although not iconic as from the valley, are still as beautiful and breathtaking. If you do go to Yosemite, I would come in from Highway 395 through Tioga Pass. I think this is one of the most beautiful drives in California and view of the Eastern Sierra Nevadas is gorgeous.

The only thing to keep in mind when visiting the northern section of the park is that late snows may keep Tioga Pass closed until mid-July. We've had a lot of snow in the Sierras this winter so you should check with the Yosemite Park service as to when Tioga Pass will be opened.

Here are some photos from my visit in 2005:

Tenaya Lake from Olmstead Point
    237213177_gMuyE-M.jpg

The top of Olmstead Point
    237209758_NamYT-M.jpg

Diffferent views of Tuolumne Meadows
    237227625_nW6iR-M.jpg

237231113_GyMdd-M.jpg

237238848_z9sEe-M.jpg
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    Smiggy68Smiggy68 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2008
    My opinion....
    Just my opinion, but forget the National Parks and just drive the coast. I agree with everyone that Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but if you have 4 days and REALLY want to explore, drive route 1 as far as your car will take you in the time you have. Not sure where you'll be starting from, but if you are in NorCal, you have Big Sur, Santa Cruz, the bay area, Mendocino, Humbolt, redwoods, ocean, surfing, sleepy fishing towns...that's exploring. Get lost and discover!!

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.....

Good luck and have fun!!! wings.gif

starky987 wrote:
    So I just found out that I will have an additional 4 days while on my west coast trip. I was hoping to get an recommendation of a national park to go to. I'm looking to spend the whole 4 days at a single park so that I get the chance to explore it. If you could recommend a park that is within a few hours driving time from the coast that would provide us with a few days worth of adventures I would appreciate it. Thanks to all!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 9, 2008
    starky987 wrote:

Give us a starting point. California is a big state with 840 miles of coastline.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Smiggy68 wrote:
    Just my opinion, but forget the National Parks and just drive the coast. I agree with everyone that Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but if you have 4 days and REALLY want to explore, drive route 1 as far as your car will take you in the time you have. Not sure where you'll be starting from, but if you are in NorCal, you have Big Sur, Santa Cruz, the bay area, Mendocino, Humbolt, redwoods, ocean, surfing, sleepy fishing towns...that's exploring. Get lost and discover!!

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.....

Good luck and have fun!!! wings.gif

thumb.gif I've done that in the Santa Rosa/Sebastopol area a couple of times. Good times, just driving at random from the Russian River south to Point Reyes. It's amazing what you find doing that up there.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Our trip will be starting anywhere actually. It's been decided that we are going to the West Coast, but where we are flying into hasn't been picked yet. We have friends in the San Jose area that we are planning on seeing at some point. I'm just looking for some advice about where to go so that we can get the most out of our trip. I like the idea of rt 1. It sounds pretty cool as well. One option is to fly into North California, like as far north as possible and then drive South from there, stopping to visit our friends on the way.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    ...We have friends in the San Jose area that we are planning on seeing at some point. I....

If you end up in San Jose/SF area and want to shoot with people, let me know. There are a few of us in the area and I might be able to round up a few people if you want to do some local stuff.