Options

new website

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited March 13, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
One of my cutsomer would like to have her own website for her business selling pendants. She is unsure of where she sould go so I told her about smugmug. She would like to sell her product like we sell our pictures and would like to be connected to googgle, yahoo.......
At first I thought that I could help her out, but I am not sure anymore.
She has bought her domain name . I told her that she doens't need it if she comes with smugmug. She really wants her website to be called a certain name, though. Will smugmug allow her to do that??:scratch
:photo

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2008
    One of my cutsomer would like to have her own website for her business selling pendants. She is unsure of where she sould go so I told her about smugmug. She would like to sell her product like we sell our pictures and would like to be connected to googgle, yahoo.......
    At first I thought that I could help her out, but I am not sure anymore.
    She has bought her domain name . I told her that she doens't need it if she comes with smugmug. She really wants her website to be called a certain name, though. Will smugmug allow her to do that??headscratch.gif

Hi :)

If she wants to use her domain name with a SmugMug account, she will need to be at our pro level.

http://www.smugmug.com/pro/

She will need to keep her domain host and create a CNAME record to point to SmugMug. We have instructions on how to do that here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Let us know if you have further questions!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    JuliaJulia Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    As a devoted SmugMugger :D I don't want to sway a customer away... but has she looked into www.etsy.com? I'm not sure what kind of pendants she sells, but I've convinced two friends and my mother to try out Etsy, just from having bought from other Etsy artists myself. It seems like a good way for artists with wearable art like that... and I believe they allow custom domains. The usual shopping cart stuff - it's like SM for artsy stuff. I don't know anything more than that though.

Just food for thought, if she doesn't know about it!

ETA: Eeeek, I hope that wasn't against the rules to post. Like I said, I have zero affiliation with them!! :)
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Julia wrote:
    As a devoted SmugMugger :D I don't want to sway a customer away... but has she looked into www.etsy.com? I'm not sure what kind of pendants she sells, but I've convinced two friends and my mother to try out Etsy, just from having bought from other Etsy artists myself. It seems like a good way for artists with wearable art like that... and I believe they allow custom domains. The usual shopping cart stuff - it's like SM for artsy stuff. I don't know anything more than that though.

Just food for thought, if she doesn't know about it!

ETA: Eeeek, I hope that wasn't against the rules to post. Like I said, I have zero affiliation with them!! :)

Etsy sounds good, I actually have a friend that is using it, but I wanted her to try smugmug. I am a bit bias. I however want what is the best for her.
    She has a domain name but doesn't know what to do next. This is why I thought she could just forget about her domain name and start from scratch. Now, if she really want to use her domain name can she sell her jewlery pendant up here. Can people fill out sell order? In the pro sale account what else does she need to use her domain name with smugmug, I know I know it's written somewhere in the link you sent me BArb.
    I n a nut shell can an artist that is not a photogrpher but jewlery maker use smugmug to sell his/her creation???

Thanks

Bounty
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    I went to the link and from what I read it looks like even if you already have your own name you still have to go through go daddy............for the cname
    in order to use smugmug. It looks like you are going to pay a lot between your domain name and cname plus smugmug
    headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    I went to the link and from what I read it looks like even if you already have your own name you still have to go through go daddy............for the cname
    in order to use smugmug. It looks like you are going to pay a lot between your domain name and cname plus smugmug
    headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    ? I pay about $7 a year for my domain name through godaddy, there's no add'l fee for cname :)
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    ? I pay about $7 a year for my domain name through godaddy, there's no add'l fee for cname :)

Thanks
    that's what I call a straight answer.
    Now , is there a way to sell her stuff on smugmug like etsy.com or is smugmug more for photographers selling only items from pictures ie. tshirt,coaster......

Anybody?? I am just trying to add a new member the smugmug family

Thank you

Bounty
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Is she selling pendants.

She could create a site using smugmug to host photos of her products but since smugmug only prints certain items from the images, she would then need to put paypay or google checkout options into the photo descriptions to sell the individual items.

I think she needs to consult with someone that understands and can do websites, shopping carts, etc to get an idea what she wants. I am sure if you post something in the customization forum asking for an email address she can email to give a simple explanation of what she is trying to accomplish with the site someone will be glad to answer her specifically (There are a few in there that do sites professionally). Then you will have pointed her to someone who has advanced knowledgeable in that area.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Yes, makes sense

Thanks

Bounty