Options

My new digital camera

KingKing Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited March 27, 2004 in Cameras
I recently got a hp photosmart 945. Is this a good camera (something that can hang with the big dawgs) or is it junk?:dunno I read something about it, and the review was good, Been reading the threads here and everyone seems to know what they are talking about. Any info would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    King wrote:
    I recently got a hp photosmart 945. Is this a good camera (something that can hang with the big dawgs) or is it junk?ne_nau.gif I read something about it, and the review was good, Been reading the threads here and everyone seems to know what they are talking about. Any info would be great.
    Thanks

Kinda late to be asking that, huh? rolleyes1.gif

Show us some pics.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    King, I'd sure like to hear about your experiences with it. How easy is it to use? Does it produce good photographs in whatever settings you use the camera? I'm sure it has shortcomings - all the consumer digicams make compromises somewhere along the way. Do any of those compromises get in the way of how you like to use the camera?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    King, I'd sure like to hear about your experiences with it. How easy is it to use? Does it produce good photographs in whatever settings you use the camera? I'm sure it has shortcomings - all the consumer digicams make compromises somewhere along the way. Do any of those compromises get in the way of how you like to use the camera?

I like it alot and still getting to know it and all the features,but it seems to be very easy to use and the adaptive lighting is great and does realy work.Ive only taking pix around the house so far realy have had no time to realy play ,but with the nice weather coming sure to get alot of use.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Kinda late to be asking that, huh? rolleyes1.gif

Show us some pics.

:ha Oh, you to funny ,really
    just wanted to see what people on this thread thought about this camera not to late 4 me i know what i got.Like i said jus asking for some info on what other people think.
    Thanks for the info:encore
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    King wrote:
    just wanted to see what people on this thread thought about this camera not to late 4 me i know what i got.Like i said jus asking for some info on what other people think.
    Thanks for the info:encore

Shark i'll post some over the weekend, i think they look good ,but want to know what use think
    Thanks again
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    I read the review at Steve's Digicams. Sounds like a good lens, big zoom and a good price. The camera takes far too long to process images: five seconds between individual shots - a full minute to empty the buffer after a burst of six. I counted this evening - mine takes 12 seconds.

Other than the above, it gets subjective. I would not like the amount of processing that the camera does to the image. The owner has no control over that processing... which limits the owner's flexibility in making "creative" mistakes. Balancing the light levels in the image for me, is not something I want my camera to do.

The noise control feature is impressive. The sample shot, at ISO 400, is amazingly clean. Steve's Digicams Review
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    King wrote:

My mom usually buys something and then looks in consumer reports to see if it's any good. rolleyes1.gif

Just funnin' ya. From the looks of the pics you posted, it's a fine camera. I've found that only the cheapest of the cheap digicams take lousy pics. If it's from a name brand and over about $200, it'll be fine. Remember...it's the photographer, not the camera. I mean look at andy...he shoots those masterpieces with this:

pcvhand400.jpg

:D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    That's his new, bigger camera. Here's his old one.

q3.jpg
    Sid.