Options

India - The holy city of Varanasi

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Journeys
Thank you everyone for the comments on my previous posts here, I'm very glad you find them interesting. Here is another series from my last trip, this time from India.

One of the holiest cities in India, Varanasi (also known as Benares or Kashi) is located in the state of Uttar Pradesh along the banks of the Ganges river. It is thought that the name was derived from the Varuna and Assi rivers that flow into the Ganges near the city. Being a holy city, it receives more then 1,000,000 pilgrims every year. Hindus come to bathe in the Ganges believing that the water has the power to wash their sins away. It is believed that dying in the city will release a person's soul from the endless cycle of birth and rebirth. It is also a big attraction for foreign tourists wanting to get a glimpse of Hindu beliefs and rituals, or even to study Hinduism themselves. Many families bring the bodies of their recently deceased relatives to be burned in the ghats next to the Ganges.

Some Indians claim that it is one of the oldest inhabited city in the world (founded around 3,000 B.C.), but Aleppo and Damascus in Syria are at least 1,000 years older (founded around 4,300 B.C.). Still, it's amazing to be walking through a city that has been continuously inhabited for this long (5,000 years!). Mark Twain once mentioned Varanasi in his writing "Benares is older than history, older then tradition, older even than legend, and looks twice as old as all of them put together"

I won't write that much about it here, Wikipedia has a nice page about Varanasi if you'd like to read more

Sunrise on the Ganges

India_Varanasi_001.jpg

India_Varanasi_002.jpg

Life in the ghats along the Ganges

India_Varanasi_003.jpg

India_Varanasi_011.jpg

India_Varanasi_012.jpg

India_Varanasi_015.jpg

India_Varanasi_019.jpg

India_Varanasi_023.jpg

A couple of portraits

India_Varanasi_024.jpg

India_Varanasi_025.jpg

Statue of the goddess Kali. Notice the characteristic stuck-out red tongue and the necklace made from severed human heads. I will soon write a lot more about her on my page about Kolkata (Calcutta), named after the goddess.

India_Varanasi_026.jpg

Cow resting in the middle of a busy street

India_Varanasi_027.jpg

Small street

India_Varanasi_029.jpg

Varanasi (along with certain other parts of India & Nepal) is a hippie paradise, as such, there is no shortage of drugs. Walking along the Ganges one morning, a man tried to sell me some hashish (advertised as being "good shit"). I politely declined and jokingly asked him if I could take a photo, to my surprise he agreed as long as his face was not visible. Often these guys work together with the police, right after buying it the police will approach the buyer and find the drugs, they then threaten to arrest them but settle on a large bribe. Foreigners regularly fall for this scam. Here is his merchandise:

India_Varanasi_030.jpg

Every night there is a Hindu blessing ceremony performed along the river, here are some photos of it

India_Varanasi_033.jpg

India_Varanasi_034.jpg

India_Varanasi_035.jpg

India_Varanasi_039.jpg

India_Varanasi_042.jpg

Various other photos from the city

India_Varanasi_048.jpg

India_Varanasi_052.jpg

India_Varanasi_053.jpg

India_Varanasi_057.jpg

India_Varanasi_063.jpg

India_Varanasi_065.jpg

India_Varanasi_071.jpg

Barbers working along the river bank

India_Varanasi_061.jpg

India_Varanasi_067.jpg

India_Varanasi_072.jpg

Rainy morning photos from my last day in the city

India_Varanasi_073.jpg

India_Varanasi_074.jpg

India_Varanasi_075.jpg

India_Varanasi_077.jpg

India_Varanasi_079.jpg

India_Varanasi_081.jpg

Because the city is considered to be very holy, many people bring the bodies of their deceased relatives to be burned at one of the funeral ghats along the Ganges. The ghats operate 24 hours a day, consuming massive amounts of wood that has to be brought in from very remote locations in some cases. There are many different kinds of wood, drastically ranging in price. The men working there are experts, knowing exactly how much wood and ghee (clarified butter) to use in order to completely burn a human body. The body is first brought by relatives to the Ganges and is ceremonially washed before being wrapped in funerary sheets and placed on the wooden pyre. For an average adult the whole process takes about 4 hours. Photography in the funerary ghats is strictly prohibited, I was able to take some photos from a rooftop of a nearby building

Stockpiles of wood used for the burning

India_Varanasi_086.jpg

Funerary ghats

India_Varanasi_088.jpg

India_Varanasi_090.jpg

Body laying down near one of the wood pyres waiting to be burned

India_Varanasi_092.jpg

The remains of one of the pyres, at this point only a few bones are left

India_Varanasi_093.jpg

Another body being taken to the river to be cleansed

India_Varanasi_094.jpg

India_Varanasi_095.jpg

A funerary pyre being ignited, the body is usually wrapped in a sheet at this point

India_Varanasi_096.jpg

India_Varanasi_097.jpg

Once again I hope you enjoy this series of photos. Everything I've posted here from my last trip can be seen in full (I allways leave photos out from the forums, there are usually too many to post) on my page for this trip located here: http://jimbojack.com/South_Asia.htm
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments