Options

Help Me Find a WA I'll Love

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited March 17, 2008 in Cameras
I currently have a Tammy 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 wide-angle lens, and I hate it. I honestly dread putting this thing on my Nikon D80. With the Scotland workshop coming up, I really want to have a piece of WA glass I don't despise on sight. Do you have any recommendations?

A bit more info.: what I hate most about the Tammy is its barrel distortion and poor low-light performance. I looked into the new Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, but I think it will be wasted on my camera body. I do plan to upgrade to a Nikon D200/D300 in the future, but the 14-24mm seems a better match for rhe D3, which I don't plan on ever getting. Plus I'd be nervous trucking something that expensive around the rough terrain of Scotland. :deal Though I can spend the big bucks for a lens I'll really love.

Help me narrow down the field a little? :D

Comments

• Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I currently have a Tammy 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 wide-angle lens, and I hate it. I honestly dread putting this thing on my Nikon D80. With the Scotland workshop coming up, I really want to have a piece of WA glass I don't despise on sight. Do you have any recommendations?

A bit more info.: what I hate most about the Tammy is its barrel distortion and poor low-light performance. I looked into the new Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, but I think it will be wasted on my camera body. I do plan to upgrade to a Nikon D200/D300 in the future, but the 14-24mm seems a better match for rhe D3, which I don't plan on ever getting. Plus I'd be nervous trucking something that expensive around the rough terrain of Scotland. deal.gif Though I can spend the big bucks for a lens I'll really love.

I highly recommend the Nikkor 17-55 2.8. It is a great lens, fast, and very sharp.

Have fun in Scotland!
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Great glass isn't waisted on any body. Great bodies can be waisted with poor lenses.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    For landscapes, consider ultrawides.
    From cheaper to more expensive, I'd recommend considering.
    Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24, and Nikon 12-24.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Kerry, just rent the pricey glass and get the insurance for it also. So long as the lens can be recovered(i.e. not dropped from a cliff into the ocean or something like that) most unintentional damage is covered.

Recently the guys over at borrowlenses had one of their 600mm f/4L IS lenses go swimming with the gators in the everglades. The renter got the insurance and know only has to pay $864(12% deductible) instead of the $7,200 replacement cost.

Really lokking forward to the pics from the workshop, have a blast.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    Thanks, all! I plan on hitting my local store this weekend to try out a few lenses, so it helps to go in with a list! :D Much appreciated.
  • Options
    ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    ... but I think it will be wasted on my camera body. I do plan to upgrade to a Nikon D200/D300 in the future...

Kerry, I too have a D80 and I would put a $10,000 on it. Get the best lens you can buy as you will have it way pass your D80's life. If you have the money, just buy nikkor lenses. Cheers --JY
  • Options
    DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    ifocus wrote:
    Kerry, I too have a D80 and I would put a $10,000 on it. Get the best lens you can buy as you will have it way pass your D80's life. If you have the money, just buy nikkor lenses. Cheers --JY

Absolutely, that lens is awsome. It will only be 21mm on your camera but who knows ? maybe in a few years full frame will be cheapmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    I was reading reviews that the new 14-24mm doesn't account for filters (no threads on the front). Have people found ways to get around this? Do you find it limiting? This very slight "con" makes me lean a little more toward the 12-24mm.

So much pretty glass... :eat
  • Options
    DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I was reading reviews that the new 14-24mm doesn't account for filters (no threads on the front). Have people found ways to get around this? Do you find it limiting? This very slight "con" makes me lean a little more toward the 12-24mm.

So much pretty glass... :eat

Only you can say if it's a "con". Do you use filters often ? I don't think there's a workaround for that fact though.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

A bit more info.: what I hate most about the Tammy is its barrel distortion and poor low-light performance. I looked into the new Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, but I think it will be wasted on my camera body. I do plan to upgrade to a Nikon D200/D300 in the future, but the 14-24mm seems a better match for rhe D3, which I don't plan on ever getting. Plus I'd be nervous trucking something that expensive around the rough terrain of Scotland. deal.gif Though I can spend the big bucks for a lens I'll really love.

Senor, I highly recommend trying the
    Tokina 12-24mm/4.0 AT-X Pro which has
    superb build quality and contrast and the
    Sigma 10-22mm/4-5.6 EX HSM which is
    equally well build but wider and a bit sharper.

I have the Sigma, badaboom I love it. A friend
    has the Tokina on a D300 and loves it. I'm shure
    you can love it too if you accept the f4 limitation.
    thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    The Tokina 12-24 F4 AT-X Pro DX is a fantastic lens for the $$. Hell it's just a fantastic lens (review here) period. Someone has one for sale in the Flea Market right now. I do architectural photography, and the Tokina 12-24 is my workhorse. Well built and tack sharp.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Kerry, look at this lens...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=87645
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Thanks again, all! Neil, I saw those photos of Ireland and got all giddy. Thank you for sending me to the updated portion about the lens he used.

I decided to go with the Nikkor 12-24 f/4. In the end, the little extra range, size, and ability to use filters (without handholding) won me over. thumb.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks again, all! Neil, I saw those photos of Ireland and got all giddy.

Hahaha!! I reckin!! rolleyes1.gif

Good luck with the new lens, it should be a beauty! Looking forward to seeing some pics...

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix