Options

DSLR Bag

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited March 29, 2008 in Accessories
I am heading to Hong Kong on a trip in May and am looking for a small bag that will just hold my Oly E510 DSLR with one lens attached. I have a number of bags made for carrying multiple lenses and extra gear, but I need to travel lighter. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Hello i have "Pretty Boy 3000L" that holds 400D with ket lens and i also squeez 50mm on side. Everything fits well and bag is beautiful too.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Jonathan,
    Depending on what you plan to do in HK, you may consider a messenger style bag that can hold bus schedules, train maps, pamphlets from the waterfront, etc. I have one that holds my daily gear which is more than you plan to carry and its awesome. Tamrac and Lowepro have a number of different size models you can choose from.

If you just want to go light, Lowepro and Tamrac make pouches that can either go onto your belt loop or over your shoulder. You may also consider a waist pack or be a tourist and use your neckstrap since its just the body plus one lens.

There's so much stuff to take pictures of in Hong Kong you may not want to have a bag to carry around because you'll find yourself constantly finding things and people to take pictures of.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif to that last quote from mike

you better have that camera around your neck the whole time:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    For travel with my camera and one lens, I use the Zing SLR cover:

75783.jpg

At B&H

It is $30, covers the camera and lens. Use your current strap. This thing stretches around the camera, and you feed the lens thru a loop, so it stays put. Great solution. This way the camera is covered and protected, but you don't need another bag to travel with.

When packing in my briefcase, I take the lens off, and put it in a lens pouch, leaving the camera in the Zing case. The standard size works perfectly on my Rebel XT and kit lens, but when I add my Tamron 28-75, it does not fit any longer.

there are versions for longer lenses and other cameras of course.

I travel alot with my camera, and been places more scary (I think) than Hong Kong. I tend to not carry my camera bag, because I don't want all that baggage, literally, with me on the trip, and typically, I take an hour or so out of a day to grab some quick photos, so I don't have time for multiple lenses, filters etc. Usually in these cases, I will carry my camera either on my shoulder (in Zing pouch), or if I get kinda nervous, I buy a souvenir on the street, and get a bag from the vendor, where I put the camera, and carry it around in that. Thieves rarely want the crap that tourists buy since there is no buyer for it locally.
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I have a bag from the Lowepro TLZ series (I don't remember which one) and it works well. http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Toploading,8.htm

There are a number of sizes, you can pick the best one for the size of your gear. They have a few small pockets for various extras like batteries and memory cards. Worth a look.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I use the TopLoad Zoom 2 with the following:

Xti with Battery Grip and 28-105 mounted
    50/1.8 - at the bottom of the bag under the camera
    PDA - beside the camera
    430EX - outside compartment (I don't use an additional case for the 430)
    Nintendo DS - I just use a hard clear shell that always stays on it to protect it.
    Headphones with 2GB MP3 Player
    4 CF cards - Keep these in the zipper compartment in the top flap.

This is kind of my carry around kit.
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I previously had a Lowepro topload zoom 1 when I wanted to carry my 30D and Tamron 28-75. When I sold the tamron and picked up a Canon 24-105 I needed something deeper. I picked up a Tamrac digital zoom 7. It is deep enough to hold my 30D with 24-105 and hood on. That way the camera is ready in the bag, I just pull it out and shoot. There is also enough room to fit the 580 in it's pouch on top of the body in the bag incase I might need some fill flash.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Depending on what size lens you'll be bringing along, I'd recommend the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22

The photo on Crumpler's website shows it holding a Nikon D70, with a 75-300 attached and a 18-70 on the side. It's made of good materials and has held up great for me and the vacations I take with it. What's also a plus - it doesn't scream "I'm a camera bag!" like some of the other brands.

Another option: Timbuk2's Classic Messenger Bag (small size).

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/messenger-messenger/classic-ballistic-messenger

It's not a camera bag, per se, but so long as you don't fling it around, it should do the job and hold other things (maps, etc.). It's a top load, with velcro and clasp closures, which will allow you easy access to your camera. This also doesn't look like your typical camera bag.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Thanks for the input everyone! I will let you know what I decide!
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Not sure if you have decided yet, but I just got a Tamrac express 7 messanger bag. I got if for 45.00 shipped of ebay (brand new). they have a smaller verision. But it will hold your camera with with an extra lens. and has pockets and stuff for all the things you might carry around like a map and stuff. Just a thought.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I am heading to Hong Kong on a trip in May and am looking for a small bag that will just hold my Oly E510 DSLR with one lens attached. I have a number of bags made for carrying multiple lenses and extra gear, but I need to travel lighter. Any suggestions?

Mr. Swinton......
    I am advocate of the Lowe Pro line...no I do not work for them nor get paid by them...just Love their stuff.....since it is only one bag you wish to carry...the LowePro 75AW will afford you to carry one body with upto a 70-210 attached (it will hold a 5D with 70/75-300...next to that you could also put a nice flash unit in the inside movable pocket....in the front pockets is room for lots of extra batteries (I use the lower pocket for camera batteries :8 ea NP400 for my 7D) uper pocket for any manuals maps and such i can squeeze in there or any exta camera gear I need, AA batteries for flash, filters etc......the storage in the top flap I use to carry cleaning supplies for my lens, small hex wrenches for tightening of tripod quick releases....it is a belt bag, shoulder bag and also a chest or back pack...it comes with straps for shoulder and pack style carrying to use as a beet bag you must supply your own belt and I find that a pants belt will hold it but it tips top forward (away from you) so I have been using a black military pistol belt with the militaty "h" suspenders...of course I hardly ever...actually should I never go any where with just 1 7D.... i always take both DSLR's if I take one.....but I also use the 75AW with my KM A2 (which takes the same batteries as my 7D) and have extra room other stuff also (of course it is a p/s but not the pocket variety with the 28-200 equiv lens).......

The 75AW is an extremely versitile Camera bag.....

When I can get up that way for a shoot with you and others in the area you can see and try it out ..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Adorama is having a sale on some older Domke bags I picked up the Bug Bag 30 for only $25.00 it is larger then what you want I think I can hold a E3 with the 50-200 attached two FL 50r's my skyports and a 12-60 and room for extra batteries. It does make a great little strobist bag to cover 24-400 mm. They do have some smaller ones and I have been packing for awhile I can put all that in a 10.5x5.5x8.5 is the internal of that bag. but my point is they also had a Bug bag 20 that is a little smaller and some others.
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I have several camera bags but on trips like yours (camera w/lens only) I use a messenger type bag that does not say "camera inside". I bought it at some discount luggage shop($20?). It is very well made & sewn, Heavy nylon with a good shoulder strap and overlap cover with a good spring-loaded snap. It holds my D200, extra flash cards, maps, packaged snacks, guide book, some tickets (in an outside zipper pocket). It is always over my shoulder, lightweight, can be placed in my airline rollaboard bag if needed.It rains a lot in Hong Kong (or did each time I was there)and the bag was good protection. Enjoy.
    Stan
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Adorama is having a sale on some older Domke bags I picked up the Bug Bag 30 for only $25.00 it is larger then what you want I think I can hold a E3 with the 50-200 attached two FL 50r's my skyports and a 12-60 and room for extra batteries. It does make a great little strobist bag to cover 24-400 mm. They do have some smaller ones and I have been packing for awhile I can put all that in a 10.5x5.5x8.5 is the internal of that bag. but my point is they also had a Bug bag 20 that is a little smaller and some others.

Can you shoot a picture of the bag with gear in/out and post it? I've been on the hunt for a bag too, and the price looks good, but all I can find are tiny pictures of it that don't show any details.

• Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Can you shoot a picture of the bag with gear in/out and post it? I've been on the hunt for a bag too, and the price looks good, but all I can find are tiny pictures of it that don't show any details.

ya I can post some I am down one lens but you will get the idea I don't know if I will get them up tonight or if it will be tomorrow night I have 2 assignments I got to get through first. I will probably just start it in a new thread instead of hijacking this one.
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2008
    Well I went to a local shop and tried a bunch of bags with my camera gear and decided to go with the Tamrac Velocity 5x. It will allow me to take an extra lens or two without adding too much size. I think it will be very comfortable to carry around Hong Kong.

5765-cls-K_lrg.jpg

LA-5765-L.jpg

5765-MdlBk_1-lrg.jpg

5765-MdlFrt_2-lrg.jpg

5765-MdlSd_2-LRG.jpg