Options

UBC Museum of Anthropology

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited March 15, 2008 in Journeys
About eight years ago, while attending a conference at the University of British Columbia at Vancouver, I had the opportunity to visit the UBC Museum of Anthropology.

According to the museum's mission statement, "The Museum strives:
To provide information about and access to cultural objects from around the world, with emphasis on the achievements and concerns of the First Peoples and British Columbia's cultural communities"

This impressive sculpture,created by Haida artist Bill Reid out of a huge block of laminated yellow cedar, graces the main rotunda. Entitled "The Raven and the First Men, it depicts a mythological raven discovering the first humans in a clamshell on the beach. In Haida folklore, the Raven is a wise and powerful creature with a mischievous bent.

265630220_ciGhD-L.jpg

The museum has gathered, and seeks to preserve, numerous totems and other artifacts created by the indigenous inhabitants of coastal British Columbia. The figure below depicts a mythological animal feeding on salmon.

265370261_ks8JF-L.jpg

Thousands of other objects used by these First Nations people are also on display.

265377046_t8WWM-L.jpg

In addition to carvings of animals, some of the works depict ancestral figures.

265374175_q3HzX-L.jpg

265974010_Cf3kF-L.jpg

"The Haida House complex, located outside the Museum (and visible from the Great Hall), includes structures that would have been present in a nineteenth century Haida village. Constructed in 1962, this complex includes a large family dwelling and a smaller mortuary house similar to those used traditionally to hold the dead. In front of the houses are examples of memorial and mortuary poles dating from 1951 to the present." (See here for additional info.)

265974080_g8zDS-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited March 15, 2008
    When I was a kid, we went to BC. Seeing the Totems had an impact and when
    we returned home, my Uncle started the process of carving one--albeit smaller
    than the real thing.

Nice to see the reminder of that trip here. Thanks for posting.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?