Options

Rainy San Jose Wedding

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited March 15, 2008 in Weddings
I was the second shooter during a rainy San Jose wedding in January. I got the chance to set up a couple off-camera flashes fired by Pocket Wizards for the reception which was fun. (the last 3 shots.) Anyway, here's a few results, I'd love any feedback and suggestions you can come up with, I'm always looking to improve!

Also, if there's any wedding photographers in southern california who need a second shooter, I'm available!

262770246_kv4nJ-L.jpg

262767892_sfKvj-L.jpg

265389495_zEtPL-L.jpg

262767931_uHTzy-L.jpg

262767999_HqY79-L.jpg

262768148_VNYWE-L.jpg

262768214_McZEG-L.jpg

265389682_WvZzZ-L.jpg

265389986_Acxov-L.jpg

265390682_arZXD-L.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    excellent work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif I like them all.........
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    These all are fantastic!! I absolutely love #7!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - these are very, very good shots.

My favs:
    #4 - It looks unposed and a little intimate, almost like it's a "stolen moment alone"
    #7 - My "most favorite" of the set. Her smile - it's evident that the rain hasn't dampened her spirits any.
    #8 - Technically excellent - love the exposure and lack of harsh shadows/highlights. Well done.

On #5 - for next time, have the bride lower her flowers just a touch - makes for a more relaxed/natural appearance.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    #7 is awesome!!!......heck they are all awesome.

I think if you straightened #7 so that the wall and rail were level it would be perfect. A perfect thirds composition.

To echo what Scott said about the flowers....

A good spot to rest the hands would be for the part of the arm above the wrist to rest on her hip bones. This would have lowerd the flowers and relaxed her hands.

A very nice series.

Very nice.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Beautiful series...wow. These look very relaxed yet incredibly elegant.

The lighting in #3 is unusually nice for ceremonies...I love your perspective here, as well.

In #6 (love this pose btw) I would experiment with upping the exposure some so that the BG is blown but they are a bit more exposed. Just a thought.

#7 is an award-winner. Absolutely fantastic moment, rain falling a lovely element, her smile is glowing, I even love the words in the BG. This is a fantastic memory of the day, would make a fantastic wall hanger!!!

#8 shows a beautiful use of off camera light. This shot is hard to nail, and you did a wonderful job. The warmth of the moment is palpable here...very nice!

You did this gorgeous wedding justice. thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Very nice photos, I agree! thumb.gif Got to love #7.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    All the photos look really great, but I have to say #7 has got to be the most unique photo of their day I love the motion, the lighting, and the composition. Good work!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Nicely done! thumb.gif

#7 is the winner in my book....l
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I don't even know these people, and I would buy a print of #7. Now that's a great shot!!
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Thanks everyone for all the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it! Looks like #7 is the eye-catcher... it's my favorite too. It's lucky that her smile stands out even though it's almost blocked by the handle of the umbrella.

jeffreaux2 said:
    To echo what Scott said about the flowers....

A good spot to rest the hands would be for the part of the arm above the wrist to rest on her hip bones. This would have lowerd the flowers and relaxed her hands.

Fantastic advice. I definitely need more practice posing people, this kind of specific suggestion is really helpful.

urbanaries said:
    In #6 (love this pose btw) I would experiment with upping the exposure some so that the BG is blown but they are a bit more exposed. Just a thought.
    #8 shows a beautiful use of off camera light. This shot is hard to nail, and you did a wonderful job. The warmth of the moment is palpable here...very nice!

Great idea. I wish I'd tried a few exposures that way in-camera... I was going for more of a silhouette effect, but it wasn't quite bright enough outside to really accomplish what I wanted, although I still like the pose and expression and way the light falls on her arm and face. The main photographer did expose for their faces blowing out the background and came up with some really great shots of this pose.

I was really happy with how the off-camera lighting worked out, it was my first time trying in a large setting. The ceiling was white and dome shaped, so the light bounced everywhere giving a really even and pleasing look. I'm sure it'll be trickier next time.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    heh, #7 is thumb.gif

Hope you don't have to crop to print.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    And you're not the primary shooter because.....????

Awesome!! 6, 7 and 8 are my absolute faves, but they all rock! Nicely done!
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    These are great!! I love 4, 7 and 8.