Totally new to this pic thing.....

gezerbikegezerbike Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 27, 2004 in Landscapes
Having traveled around the country on my BMW motorcycles for the last 12 years , I've always envied you guys with your great cameras and imaginations in the pics you take and post over on the ADVrider site so I started lookin' into a digital camera to take on my rides, hoping someday to take some great pics....having spent several weeks looking at different sites and different posts, I ended up spending about twice what I had planned...thanks guys... and bought a Panasonic FZ 10 with the 12x Lieca lens. I bought the camera on a Sunday and traveled to LAs Vegas on Friday, picked up a rental Goldwing and off to Arizona for 3 days.....with the owners manuel back at home in my breifcase...oh well. Attached are several photos I took along the way ....really love the camera and can't wait to see what I can do once I learn to use it....

Comments

• gezerbikegezerbike Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2004
    Anudder pic.......
    Vegas under lights
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:
    Having traveled around the country on my BMW motorcycles for the last 12 years , I've always envied you guys with your great cameras and imaginations in the pics you take and post over on the ADVrider site so I started lookin' into a digital camera to take on my rides, hoping someday to take some great pics....having spent several weeks looking at different sites and different posts, I ended up spending about twice what I had planned...thanks guys... and bought a Panasonic FZ 10 with the 12x Lieca lens. I bought the camera on a Sunday and traveled to LAs Vegas on Friday, picked up a rental Goldwing and off to Arizona for 3 days.....with the owners manuel back at home in my breifcase...oh well. Attached are several photos I took along the way ....really love the camera and can't wait to see what I can do once I learn to use it....
    Congrats gezerbike and welcome to waxyworld.

Where are the pics? ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:
    Welcome, I am new here too.
    Being a BMW rider, you will love this:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnnydanger/ustripsite.html

And...

http://homepage.mac.com/johnnydanger/sitemap.html

These are two photo documented trips my friend John took. Both times on a BMW bike. These should hopefully inspire you even more.

Enjoy, there is a ton of stuff on these pages...

Doug
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Oooo, 12x Leica lens. That sound nice.

But gezer, where da pics? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 27, 2004
    Trying again.......
    Wax......do I need to type message before I upload ?
    edited March 27, 2004
    Obviously......
    ......my pics aren't uploading. I been following your upload directions ...hit reply , manage attachments, hit browse , highlight pic , hit open , file goes into browse box , hit upload , close window , attach message......what am I missing ?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 27, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:
    ......my pics aren't uploading. I been following your upload directions ...hit reply , manage attachments, hit browse , highlight pic , hit open , file goes into browse box , hit upload , close window , attach message......what am I missing ?
    Are you previewing the message or submitting it? If you preview, you
    lose the attachment.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 27, 2004
    Nope....
    .....just submitting. I wonder if there is site problems.....I have checked the remember me box but each time back I am asked to login......
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 27, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:
    .....just submitting. I wonder if there is site problems.....I have checked the remember me box but each time back I am asked to login......
    When you upload the image, are you waiting until the icon appears in the
    window before you close it? Before you close the window, you should see two
    messages. One that says "You have uploaded the maximum of 1 files." and the
    other that displays the current attachment. Don't close the window until you
    see these.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 27, 2004
    Here we go again.........
    Liked this pic of the Grand Canyon.....
    edited March 27, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:
    Liked this pic of the Grand Canyon.....

Wow...that's SPECTACULAR! I love the composition and the colors. You might consider pumping up the saturation just a smidge and cropping out the plant in the lower left.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Wow...that's SPECTACULAR! I love the composition and the colors. You might consider pumping up the saturation just a smidge and cropping out the plant in the lower left.
    What am I missing here?
  • Max PowerMax Power Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Don't listen to fish. I would leave the flower in.
    "Um... Sir... Your lens cap is still on"
  • kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Keep trying.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
    edited March 27, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:

Gezerbike.... yes, you do need to type something in the message box. I usually use a ~ or ` or !. You get the idea, something small that's scarcely visible.

Also, I think ian asked a good question. When you hit "Upload" do you wait until it shows you that the upload is complete? If you look at the top of the little upload box, it will show you when it's over. It will also show you an error message if the pic you're trying to attach is too large. It's easy not to see that message. Here's what the error message looks like:
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 27, 2004
    By the way, I had to wait a few minutes to get that error message. Hey fishie, what's the max size for an attachment here?

Here's what you'll see if your upload is successful.
    Sid.
    edited March 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    By the way, I had to wait a few minutes to get that error message. Hey fishie, what's the max size for an attachment here?

Here's what you'll see if your upload is successful.
    The limit is shown in your error post :D
    edited March 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    The limit is shown in your error post :D

11doh.gif11doh.gif
    Sid.
    edited March 27, 2004
    Leave to da Fish
    Figured out first 2 problems....wasn't waiting long enough for the upload to complete......then, my upload is toooooo large .......When I e-mail, pics are smaller resolution and upload quickly but when I do as attachments they go full size with a zillion bytes......trying to figure out how to attach wiyh smaller size.....or maybe just e-mail da Fish and let him post...but then I wouldn't learn anything then would I ??????
    edited March 27, 2004
    gezerbike wrote:
    Figured out first 2 problems....wasn't waiting long enough for the upload to complete......then, my upload is toooooo large .......When I e-mail, pics are smaller resolution and upload quickly but when I do as attachments they go full size with a zillion bytes......trying to figure out how to attach wiyh smaller size.....or maybe just e-mail da Fish and let him post...but then I wouldn't learn anything then would I ??????
    Try using the free program irfanview from www.irfanview.com. Makes resizing really easy.