Options

Bouldering Outdoors

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited March 17, 2005 in Sports
These were taken at a few locations in the hills about an hours drive outside of Perth. The rock is very sharp and shreads your finger tips after a very short amount of time.

Taken at John Forest National Park
14925491-M.jpg

Shot on a very overcast morning near Margaret River 4 hours south of Perth
15198132-M.jpg

From our newly discovered area called Dreaded Boulders
14950362-M.jpg

All comments welcome on how i could have composed these shots better is much appreciated. (no photoshopping has been applied to any of these either)
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Hi mushy! I like the perspective of #1 very much. I see what you were going for by focussing on the hands but I feel it would be more important to show her face in focus.
    #2 doesn't really grab me much because I can't really see his face much. Maybe had you zoomed out a tad more (if possible) to show more of the surrounding area and how high up he was, it would have more impact.
    #3 Again, the face is not in focus. Also, the people to the left draw away the attention to the climber.
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    I like the nail polish in #1 it matches the tone of the picture quite nicely.

#2 is as most overcast pictures are, a bit duller because of the light. The background looks like it would be pretty cool. Maybe takinga few steps back and shooting the person on the right and get the background on the left using the thirds principle could have spiced that one up.

#3 a macro on the hand might have been cool . i do enjoy the shot however.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    I love climbing. :D Went out today, but as there were only two of us, the rope work took priority and I was only able to catch a few pics for the memories, nothing worthwhile. Wading through five feet of soft melting snow uphill to get to the base of the routes was fun though! :D

I like these pics. Number one and three more so than number two, but they're all better than what I got today. Nice work!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 17, 2005
    Mushy,

These are very good thumb.gifthumb.gif

Like Coldclimb, I like 1 and 3 best. I am torn about the 1st one. Part of me agrees with Jubba, her face should be in focus. But, part of me really likes the sharp focus on the fingers/hands only. Her tenuous grip on the rocks looks like the story you are telling and from that point of view, I think your 1st pic tells this story very well clap.gif

Good work and thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    I am torn about the 1st one. Part of me agrees with Jubba, her face should be in focus. But, part of me really likes the sharp focus on the fingers/hands only. Her tenuous grip on the rocks looks like the story you are telling and from that point of view, I think your 1st pic tells
    I think in this case, if the face is blurry at all, it should be much more so, and the hand very sharp and contrasted to draw attention to it. I've seen this work incredibly well a few times. Makes a stellar shot. Still not bad though, I do like it!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 17, 2005
    These are nice climbing photos. In tight but not too tight.
    #1 & #3 both have focus set to the hands. I like that because
    it conveys the role of the hand in climbing. And in both, it's a
    lead into the face.

Nice work.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    comments and sugestions
    cheers all for the comments and suggestions, I'm heading out this weekend and will be going snap happy, will post some new shots on Monday for further appraisal.
    May I take your picture?