Options

Can I Create a Link List from a Main Link

kris10kris10 Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited March 18, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
That question sounds really retarded but I'm going to try to explain. First off...I am TERRIBLE at customizing. That's why my site doesn't look "cool" like some of the others. But..it works for now. Maybe one day I'll have the nerve to actually learn how to make it what I really want.

For now...here is what I meant by my question. On my home page...I have a link at the top called "session fees". I want to really have that go to a variety of forms. For now, it goes to an image of my Portrait Package and Price List. Maybe I should change "session fees" to "forms and documents". I really want to have the various forms I use so that people can download and print them. I have different portrait package forms depending on what I am shooting for. Examples: Prom Photo Session, Seniors, General, Bridal, etc. I also have forms such as Wedding Contracts (which I haven't decided if I'm going to put up yet), Model Releases and Portrait Contracts. How would I make that change and how complicated is it? I'm scared to do anything with my site because the last time I did, I accidentally deleted a bracket and screwed up my whole site. :scratch

Thank you in advance for your help.
* My Mug *

~ * ~ Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young ~ * ~

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    One idea would be to create a sharegroup called "Session fees, forms, documents" and then you create a seperate gallery for each and add those galleries to the sharegroup. Or instead of a sharegroup have a category called "Session fees, forms, documents" and that would accomplish the same thing. You then can make each gallery an html only page, or make it a journal style gallery with text.

Best thing I would say it to look at a bunch of other people smugmug sites and find something that is similar to what you want, and then ask them how did they do it, or go to the customization forum and ask for help. But have an idea what you want first and examples of what it should look like. It makes it easier for people to give help when you can link to an example.

All the dgrinners and smugmuggers were at one point newbies as well and are just trying to "Pay it forward" the help we received.

Also the more customization you do the more familiar you are with it and the better you get. Practice makes perfect. When I started I was clueless. I am now pretty compitent with html, css, java and know what I know and what I don't, but I know how and where to look for references, info, etc
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    bham wrote:
    One idea would be to create a sharegroup called "Session fees, forms, documents" and then you create a seperate gallery for each and add those galleries to the sharegroup. Or instead of a sharegroup have a category called "Session fees, forms, documents" and that would accomplish the same thing. You then can make each gallery an html only page, or make it a journal style gallery with text.

Best thing I would say it to look at a bunch of other people smugmug sites and find something that is similar to what you want, and then ask them how did they do it, or go to the customization forum and ask for help. But have an idea what you want first and examples of what it should look like. It makes it easier for people to give help when you can link to an example.

All the dgrinners and smugmuggers were at one point newbies as well and are just trying to "Pay it forward" the help we received.

Also the more customization you do the more familiar you are with it and the better you get. Practice makes perfect. When I started I was clueless. I am now pretty compitent with html, css, java and know what I know and what I don't, but I know how and where to look for references, info, etc

Thanks for your advice. I think I like the idea of a share group but don't really know what that entails in the way of creating and am not too sure if I understand it completely. Having one link at the top of my home page maybe to take place of "session fee's" to say something like "forms" or similar terminology that would then lead into the documents would be great. I have changed my "session fee" link to a revised version of one document but it's only to that particular document. I have more than just the one. I'm just looking for the easiest way for me to accomplish this first and then once I get that right, I can look for assistance to tweek it even more. I'm terrified of coding. eek7.gifLaughing.gif! BUT..this is also my second year using Smug Mug and I've grasped nothing when it comes to customizing my site. ne_nau.gif
    * My Mug *

• Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Its really not all that hard, especially once you get past the basics and let all the guys in the customization forum help, they will pretty much give you the exact code and where to put it.

To create a sharegroup go to your control panel, go to the customize tab, and then choose sharegroups, then create a new group.

Let me know when you've gotten this done.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Its really not all that hard, especially once you get past the basics and let all the guys in the customization forum help, they will pretty much give you the exact code and where to put it.

To create a sharegroup go to your control panel, go to the customize tab, and then choose sharegroups, then create a new group.

Let me know when you've gotten this done.

Thanks! I'm going to start that first thing in the morning. I had to go out and do some test shots for a Bridal shoot coming up Sunday so it's getting too late for me to start now. Toooo excited now...I might actually be able to "get" all this customizing stuff one day. clap.gif Guess it's about time after having my mug for a year and a half, right? :D
    * My Mug *

• Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Hi Bham.

It took me a bit to get to the point of doing this. I created a sharegroup called "Session fee's and Info". When I hovered over the question mark next to "sharegroup" it said it's a way to share, even private galleries with people via email. Does this mean it won't show up in the way of links somehow so people can see the different documents I need to be able to have on my site for prospective clients? I think I'm a little mixed up by what this is. Anyway, now I have that sharegroup, what do I do next?

Thanks!
    * My Mug *

• Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Well from what you said I was going to have you create the sharegroup then create a different gallery (similar to the one you have for session fees) for each different thing, one for documents, one for forms, etc. Creating the text, info, etc in each gallery with the info you want for those.

Then we will change the link for what now says session fees, to a new title, and then we will change where the link goes to from the current location to the sharegroup.

The same thing could be accomplished by creating a category with the same name (whatever the new title is) and then changing the link to land on a category page. Right now all your links from the top land onto individual galleries.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Well from what you said I was going to have you create the sharegroup then create a different gallery (similar to the one you have for session fees) for each different thing, one for documents, one for forms, etc. Creating the text, info, etc in each gallery with the info you want for those.

Then we will change the link for what now says session fees, to a new title, and then we will change where the link goes to from the current location to the sharegroup.

The same thing could be accomplished by creating a category with the same name (whatever the new title is) and then changing the link to land on a category page. Right now all your links from the top land onto individual galleries.

thanks bham.

i'm trying to squeeze this in while i'm at work so if i take a little bit to reply it's 'cuz my boss is around. bad employee. thumb.gif
    * My Mug *