Gion at Night in Kyoto, Japan

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited March 18, 2008 in Journeys
We took a stroll through Gion in the evening and I snapped a few shots.
Date: March 9th, 2008
Camera: Rebel XTi... I used both the sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the canon 24-104 f4/l is usm this evening, it was the only time I took the 70-200 out my whole trip, lol, but then ended up switching back to the 24-105 for the wider angle.

264889592_uFfRt-M.jpg

264892550_A55iD-M.jpg

264892843_SnL9n-M.jpg

264893699_b7F2M-M.jpg

264896709_fVPcV-M.jpg

264901317_pZxU2-M.jpg

264902735_fyg7S-M.jpg

264903017_ZLTcv-M.jpg

264905186_zfZ7r-M.jpg

264904417_J5uRm-M.jpg

Gallery is here: http://photos.cathoffman.com/gallery/4478687_yY7MH

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Thanks for sharing! There are relatively few places on the planet that I can say "Hey I've been there!" but it's so awesome to see updates of somewhere I can.

I know that the one time we were in Gion, it was high tourist season. Nonetheless I'm shocked at how empty of people your shots are. Was this really the case or were you exercising patience? :D

I hope you're enjoying your travels/studies so far! I'm loving your photo updates. thumb.gif
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks for sharing! There are relatively few places on the planet that I can say "Hey I've been there!" but it's so awesome to see updates of somewhere I can.

I know that the one time we were in Gion, it was high tourist season. Nonetheless I'm shocked at how empty of people your shots are. Was this really the case or were you exercising patience? :D

I hope you're enjoying your travels/studies so far! I'm loving your photo updates. thumb.gif

My travel is over, it was only for March 1st-11th sadly. Back at work now. Just posted highlights from the various places bit by bit so as not to overwhelm the journey's section.

It was pretty dead, so that wasn't patience. March 9th was a Sunday evening, not the most hopping time of the week :)
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    These are great.clap.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    http://photos.cathoffman.com/photos/264896902_ptPUZ-L.jpg

That's the greatest business sign if I have ever seen one! rolleyes1.gif They like to have the dream, but would never want to be caught living the "dream!"

You had such a great trip! I bet there is more!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Great shots! I'm with Schmoo, it looks completely different without hoards of people. I was there in the Spring of 2004 with the sakura blossoms in full swing, and it was packed!
    Chris
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Great shots! I'm with Schmoo, it looks completely different without hoards of people. I was there in the Spring of 2004 with the sakura blossoms in full swing, and it was packed!

Yikes! Thatsa lotta people! eek7.gif

It looks so lovely with the blossoms, though.

Edited to add: While I was here I just changed the image you posted to a link, Moogle. Since it's Shima's photo. thumb.gif
    edited March 17, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

Edited to add: While I was here I just changed the image you posted to a link, Moogle. Since it's Shima's photo. thumb.gif

Wow that is really packed... yeah we missed the sakura by about a month :( I have yet to visit Japan during sakura season... it's a life goal though so eventually I will!
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

oh sorry!! it was just too cool to not post!

sorry, shima!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Nice shots...
    All are nice but, I especially enjoy #3. It brings me back to the time I lived in Japan.

I will also agree with other posters - Sakura is a magical time in Japan!

I am old enough to remember the Golden Age for Americans traveling in Japan which was IMO in the late 1960's. Japanese products had evolved into quality merchandise; the dollar bought 360 Yen and the prices were rock bottom. I used to consider it Shan-gri-la with hot and cold running water! To put those prices in prospective, the price of a taxi ride was either 90 or 100 Yen (depending on the size of the cab) and the price of a beer in a restaurant (not in a nightclub though) was usually about 100 Yen! Imagine, a taxi ride and a beer for about a quarter each!

I came back to Japan, ten years later, in 1977 and was shocked at the price increases but, I certainly realize that the 1977 prices were cheap compared with now!
    edited March 18, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    All are nice but, I especially enjoy #3. It brings me back to the time I lived in Japan.

I will also agree with other posters - Sakura is a magical time in Japan!

I am old enough to remember the Golden Age for Americans traveling in Japan which was IMO in the late 1960's. Japanese products had evolved into quality merchandise; the dollar bought 360 Yen and the prices were rock bottom. I used to consider it Shan-gri-la with hot and cold running water! To put those prices in prospective, the price of a taxi ride was either 90 or 100 Yen (depending on the size of the cab) and the price of a beer in a restaurant (not in a nightclub though) was usually about 100 Yen! Taxi and a beer for about a quarter each!

I came back to Japan, ten years later, in 1977 and was shocked at the price increases but, I certainly realize that the 1977 prices were cheap compared with now!

Yeah it was depressing how weak the dollar was while I was in Japan. I was lucky to get 100 yen to the dollar. It made me want to cry. At least last time I had went (3 years ago) I got around 120 to the dollar... not so much these days...

One day I shall see the beautiful sakura in blossom... until then I have some preserved sakura I bought in Yasakuni Shrine in Tokyo :) They sit at my desk at work and remind me of what I still need to see.
  • squidddsquiddd Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Those teahouse and restaurant are very nice. But you sure need a fat wallet to enjoy night life of Kyoto. mwink.gif
    Welcome to my small landscape gallery:
    http://squiddd.smugmug.com/Landscapes