Video Accessories

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited March 18, 2008 in Video
Microphones. Lights. Whatever you want to accessorize your camera with!
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited March 3, 2008
    You've got all kinds of accessories.

LED lights. Boom, shotgun & lav mics. Wireless setups (da bomb).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Boom, shotgun & lav mics. Wireless setups (da bomb).

Do tell what hardware, as a mere engineer I want to know rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited March 3, 2008
    Do tell what hardware, as a mere engineer I want to know rolleyes1.gif
    Well for one, you have Sennheiser's incredible line of mic gear. Wired or
    wireless. Of course, you could go the Audio Technica route too (I hear Linkin
    Park are fans :D). LAnd let's not forget Azden.

All kinds of goodies for the mic too. Stands, booms, pop & wind screens. Shock
    mounts and well...all kinds of stuff.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 5, 2008
    Sennheiser has my vote. I had a Audio Technica set that I gave to my dad when I bought the Sennheiser wireless set. I got a package deal from B&H that included 2 Body packs, 2 receivers, an XLR transmitter, interview mic, and a coulpe extra lavs for the body packs. So far they have not skipped a beat.

Just be sure to read the instructions about choosing the right band for your area. Some TV stations use the same frequencies and you need to avoid those frequency ranges.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited March 5, 2008
    I use a Sennheiser MKE 300 short shotgun. Great sound.

Only a "mini" audio connector but in short cable runs it has not been a problem. Mounts directly on many cameras (accessory shoe) but also has 1/4" screw mount. Good wind suppression but you can also get "socks" that fit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/47031-REG/Sennheiser_MKE300_MKE_300_Shotgun_Video.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 5, 2008
    docwalker wrote:

Just be sure to read the instructions about choosing the right band for your area. Some TV stations use the same frequencies and you need to avoid those frequency ranges.

And fortunately or unfortunately with more stations bringing on Digital TV (HD) the "white" spaces are changing so what used to work might not work anymore. Or as happened to me on a job site, what worked on Monday the 30th did not work on Tuesday the 1st. New channel on the air.

Also I have anecdotally found that keeping the batteries fresh keeps the performance better. In other words I swap them out after about four hours of use even if there is "half" of the life on the meter, I either charge them or use them in my flashlight/other stuff.
    -=Bradford

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I've had horrible luck with wireless gear, but I love my wired shotgun mics. I usually run 2 DVX100b cams so I can pipe in up to 4 mics (Ilike to be safe), but normally I have a shotgun or lav on each camera and run the camera mic for backup (or direct feed from soundboard).

I must be tired becuse I cant for the life of me remember what mics I have at the moment. I know one is about 11" and one is about 14" though.
    ~ Lisa
    edited March 17, 2008
    Also I have anecdotally found that keeping the batteries fresh keeps the performance better. In other words I swap them out after about four hours of use even if there is "half" of the life on the meter, I either charge them or use them in my flashlight/other stuff.

This is great advice. And advice you don't want to learn the hard way.

To add to this, you never know when you will have battery problems so
    keep some fresh batteries with you.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Well for one, you have Sennheiser's incredible line of mic gear. Wired or
    wireless. Of course, you could go the Audio Technica route too (I hear Linkin
    Park are fans :D). LAnd let's not forget Azden.

All kinds of goodies for the mic too. Stands, booms, pop & wind screens. Shock
    mounts and well...all kinds of stuff.

Sennheisers were the reason why I swore off wireless mics. Maybe to others they work fine, but to my team at work, they were just a bunch of unreliable, useless junk. I'm getting my wireless confidence back with Sony gear, thankfully.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
    edited March 18, 2008
    Hmmmm that one is interesting, as I have had the exact opposite experience. I have had very good success with Sennheisser stuff and not always the best luck with Sony.

However just like all things in life everyone's experience is different. I can make any wireless mic system fail through improper tunings, but then again I am expected to make things fail at work... you should see when I use a microphone as a hammer .... or an audio amplifier as a lighting dimmer
    -=Bradford