Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Will reference this nice article by Paul Thurrott:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1_ga.asp

Essentially Paul says there are minor issues with some audio drivers. The Windows Update will scan your system, and make the SP1 available if it is appropriate for your machine. If you have drivers that are at issue, it will ask you to update drivers before giving you SP1. There is a chance that until your driver is available, SP1 won't be available for your PC for some time.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I've now done the SP1 update on three computers (all by direct download, none by windows update).

All three are working well and the process was quick and smooth.

The computers were a bit slower (in benchmarks, not really noticeable in reality) the first 24 hours after the update, but after each index had a chance to rebuild overnight they're running nicely.
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Will reference this nice article by Paul Thurrott:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1_ga.asp

Essentially Paul says there are minor issues with some audio drivers. The Windows Update will scan your system, and make the SP1 available if it is appropriate for your machine. If you have drivers that are at issue, it will ask you to update drivers before giving you SP1. There is a chance that until your driver is available, SP1 won't be available for your PC for some time.

Is this tested and true that SP1 will not download if it knows it will have a problem with certain drives? I read somewhere on line (can't find it now) that somewone writing in some blog said they downloaded SP1 and then their audio card did not work. So seems this person was not notified about the problem until they had already put SP1 on their system. And can you uninstall SP1 if it's a problem?

I'm a little gun shy about it, even with a pretty new computer - bought in Oct '07 with Vista preloaded.

Any other experiences or knowledge on this out there?
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Is this tested and true that SP1 will not download if it knows it will have a problem with certain drives? I read somewhere on line (can't find it now) that somewone writing in some blog said they downloaded SP1 and then their audio card did not work. So seems this person was not notified about the problem until they had already put SP1 on their system. And can you uninstall SP1 if it's a problem?

I'm a little gun shy about it, even with a pretty new computer - bought in Oct '07 with Vista preloaded.

Any other experiences or knowledge on this out there?
    Why don't you just see if your audio card drivers are up to date?

I ran the install and it was a breeze. I agree w/ Pupator that my system was a bit sluggish feeling at first, but now it's back to ramming speed..
    edited March 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Why don't you just see if your audio card drivers are up to date?

I ran the install and it was a breeze. I agree w/ Pupator that my system was a bit sluggish feeling at first, but now it's back to ramming speed..

Good idea. Thanks, Slo. Not sure where to do that and the audio card is not named within the specs on line for the machine, HPa6130n. But I'm not at that computer at the moment. How can I check the card?
    edited March 19, 2008
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Good idea. Thanks, Slo. Not sure where to do that and the audio card is not named within the specs on line for the machine, HPa6130n. But I'm not at that computer at the moment. How can I check the card?

I believe the difference is whether you use Windows Update vs the download and install. If you download and install, then it is assumed you are skilled and can fix driver issues yourself. Windows Update assumes nothing, and figures it out for you.

You won't break anything, the worst that will happen is you have to update your drivers... after SP1
    edited March 19, 2008
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Click on the pearl, type in device manager in the search box. Follow the yellow brick road to your sound card.

It will be under Sound, Video or System Devices (depending if it's an on board of third party sound card)
    edited March 20, 2008
    How to remove SP1
    In case anyone has any issues with service pack one the following link shows how to remove it.

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/remove-delete-uninstall-windows-vista-sp1/2620/
    edited March 20, 2008
    Just as an FYI - I haven't had to fool with any driver issues on the three I've installed SP1 on. I'll do a fourth and fifth today and report back.
    edited March 20, 2008
    SP1 is not available via Windows Update for my wife's HP DV6224. I updated the sound drivers, which did have new updates, but SP1 is not in Windows Update yet.

Gonna wait, see what happens, I am in no real rush.
    edited March 20, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    SP1 is not available via Windows Update for my wife's HP DV6224. I updated the sound drivers, which did have new updates, but SP1 is not in Windows Update yet.

Gonna wait, see what happens, I am in no real rush.

The biggest difference is when copying files from one place to another - it's significantly faster after SP1. I never had any stability issues before SP1, so I can't exactly realize any stability benefits.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I feel so, so dirty....
    So, I went and got a *real* Windows box today.

I feel so, so dirty lol3.gif

OK but now I have Vista in realz mode on a real box. Wanted to do it for real-world testing for SmugMug.

Off to pollute it with Norton and 8 zillion toolbars, yay!

iloveyou.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Off to pollute it with Norton and 8 zillion toolbars, yay!

iloveyou.gif

Man, you are looking for trouble, aren't you. rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 21, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Yup. I want to do what the "real world" does. thumb.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Richard wrote:

I think he found it. umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Isn't the "real world" avoiding Vista like the plague? I know I am! :D
    Chris
    edited March 21, 2008
    Must not be anything cool or groundbreaking in the Mac world going on. All the kids are in our sandbox rolleyes1.gif:D
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Off to pollute it with Norton
    oh good dog, please just say no. AVG.
    edited March 24, 2008
    Installed SP1 on my Vista Home Premium system using Windows Updater over the weekend and right away the systems was faster than I expected. Programs, docs, pictures (RAW 14 bit) in PSCS3 fly open. Everything seems to run smoother and much faster. Of course, I had to go through initial approval of some web permissions but after that everything runs great. Hasn't been long enough to know about stability, and I did have a few issues there, so we'll see. But so far I'm impressed with the improvements.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Installed SP1 on my Vista Home Premium system... But so far I'm impressed with the improvements.
    Me too! I was an Apple user from pretty-much day one -- Apple II, Commodore 64, Amiga, back to Apple's Mac -- just like everyone else. But I ended up buying into the Dark Side somewhere around Windows 1.6 (Let's say 1988, for convenience sake.)

Since then I've been through Hell and back, but I've smelled the flowers too, and XP SP 1 was a milestone. Frankly, I used the heck out of it: stalling on Vista for as long as I possibly could.

After Xmas I bought a new box and, well, Vista was already on it, so I gave it a whirl.

Gotta say: It was touch-and-go for a while. Video drivers CAN be a nightmare. And there is an awful lot of Big Brother to comb through. In the end, however, I think I may actually end up liking it.

The SP1 update was painless except for two points: It took almost two full hours to waltz its way through my system, and it screwed-up my twin monitor system by swapping drivers and assignments.

System does have a slightly more snappy feel. Other than that, though -- an knowing MS -- I'm thinking it'll take a while for all the gremlins to rear their nasty-little heads, so I'll reserve judgment.
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited March 29, 2008
    Many usage-hours into SP1 and still no problems. My systems are faster - particularly when moving or copying files - and completely stable.

I have (again, this time for good I think) switched to FF3b4. I never liked FF2 for various reasons, so I stuck with IE7 which I, mostly, liked. But lately there have just been too many frustrations with it so I downloaded FF3b4. It's nice - fast and good looking, particularly with Vista. The only site that makes it barf is smugmug - it can't handle either of the two recommended file uploaders. That's something the smugmug folks will have to deal with before too long, but I've started using Komodo Drop for my uploading anyway. thumb.gif
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Many usage-hours into SP1 and still no problems. My systems are faster - particularly when moving or copying files - and completely stable.

I have (again, this time for good I think) switched to FF3b4. I never liked FF2 for various reasons, so I stuck with IE7 which I, mostly, liked. But lately there have just been too many frustrations with it so I downloaded FF3b4. It's nice - fast and good looking, particularly with Vista.

I had been using FF3b4 before the SP1 upgrade. I had read how much faster it was than FF2. I really had not noticed it. Then I did the SP1 upgrade. FF3b4 is now a rocketship!!wings.gif I don't know what the difference is but it seems nearly twice as fast as pre-SP1. Probably mostly video as most things that heavily use the video seem much faster. I have around 4 windows of FF3b4 that I keep open. DGrin with 9 tabs for different forums and other multiple tab windows. They open MUCH quicker since SP1.

I have not seen the upload problems since I upload using the add-in for Lightroom. I have noticed issues with a couple of SSL sites that did not display properly until I shut FF3b4 down and restarted it but that has been about it.

Just more data points.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
    edited March 30, 2008
    For me, any site with a java applet is an instant crash with FF3b4. I use the uploaders here and UnlimitedFTP (java) with my hosting company - both immediately crash the browser. A friend of mine had heard that the newest "beta" of java - update 10, I think - solves that problem, but it hasn't solved it for me.
    edited March 31, 2008
    SMUGDAV for Vista not working properly
    I followed the documentation and then triple checked it.

I rebuilt my OS since I did some hardware upgrades and can't gain access to SMUGDAV after the fresh install. Everything is up to date and I'm running SP1.

I follow the steps on the WIKI. Once I get to step 4. I get the following message:

Any ideas?
    edited April 1, 2008
    can one of you Vista users please try to set up https network access using the Wiki link posted below? I can 't get past this and I really need this for a project I'm doing.

I really appreciate it. Beers on my if your ever in Oregon.
    edited April 1, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I followed the documentation and then triple checked it.

I rebuilt my OS since I did some hardware upgrades and can't gain access to SMUGDAV after the fresh install. Everything is up to date and I'm running SP1.

I follow the steps on the WIKI. Once I get to step 4. I get the following message:

Any ideas?
    Sorry John, Dev's gonna look as he gets time but it won't be soon :(
    FWIW I can connect via my Mac and also via Windows XP.
    edited April 1, 2008
    Thanks for the reply Andy.

Hopefully some other Vista users can either proove that this is just my machine or Vista wide.

Thanks again.
    edited April 1, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Andy.

Hopefully some other Vista users can either proove that this is just my machine or Vista wide.

Thanks again.

Must be your machine. Just checked with Vista via Firefox 2. When I connect to the https link, I got a security warning that the certificate did not match the destination. The cert in question is registered to *.onconfluence.com, not smugmug. But once I said OK, it took me right to the page. Maybe check your security settings, perhaps you dis-allowed the cert sometime before?
    edited April 1, 2008
    Any ideas on where to start looking for certs?

Security is an area I'm openly lacking in.
    edited April 2, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Any ideas on where to start looking for certs?

Security is an area I'm openly lacking in.

Ok let me redo this tonite when I get home. I may have lead you wrong, since I actually tried to link to the url with my Firefox, so that is why I saw the cert challenges. I did not do this via network connctions so will try again and reconfirm. Sorry bout that