Options

Prospect asks me (and Smugmug) question?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 20, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
A prospect asked the following question, which I would like to pass on to Smugmug to answer here, so everyone can see the response to the question.

Prospect asks:

how do you expect prospective buyers to download a licensed photo, where there is NO license information displayed.... until you go to checkout?
I did notice that on the first page after you click "Buy Photo" there is tabs at the top of your page and ON that tab it says this:

Downloads categories: Commercial

One is led to believe you can click that word Commercial since it is underlined and see the license terms but, nope, can't see any license info until you click Checkout. The cursor does turn into a hand icon when you mouse over the word Commercial but, it does not do anything, it's not "clickable".

There you have it. Answers?

Thank you in advance.
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Good stuff, we can do a better job at that.
    they just have to add it to their shopping cart, and it's on step one (they haven't 'bought' anything yet):
    20080320-rghisj5p5bdrc5n69m6euh1wkf.jpg

In the meantime, you can make a page on your site, showing the licenses. You can link them to it in your gallery descriptions. Lots of options.

Thanks for the great feedback, Mark (and prospect)!
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    In response
    Glad to see you saw the value in that question :D

Now your first response:
    they just have to add it to their shopping cart, and it's on step one

Not really, it's actually step 2. You have to click
    1. buy photo
    2. checkout

Point is, if they don't know the license terms BEFORE they click checkout...
    they are UNLIKELY to check out to begin with.

The second part of your response:
    n the meantime, you can make a page on your site, showing the licenses. You can link them to it in your gallery descriptions. Lots of options.

Wouldn't it be SOOOO much easier, for Smugmug to just do one of the following....

A. make the underlined word that said commercial clickable so they can see the license terms right then and there

B. On the FIRST page they arrive at when clicking Buy Photo, have a link that says: click here for License Terms.

Yes / sure we can put up the license terms FOR smugmug but, I'm sure you'll agree that Smugmug really needs to take the initiative on this one.

Also note: if you ARE still serious about doing the stock photo site on Smugmug, things are going to have to be a lot more transparent from the 'get go' if you expect serious buyers to take your site seriously and save them time. If it takes too long to find what they need to know, you can't be making them click all over the place to find the most basic (and important) information. But, since you'be been developing this stock offering for many months now, I'm sure you've thought of all this stuff already, right mwink.gif

Andy wrote:
    Good stuff, we can do a better job at that.
    they just have to add it to their shopping cart, and it's on step one (they haven't 'bought' anything yet):
    20080320-rghisj5p5bdrc5n69m6euh1wkf.jpg

In the meantime, you can make a page on your site, showing the licenses. You can link them to it in your gallery descriptions. Lots of options.

Thanks for the great feedback, Mark (and prospect)!
    Markjay
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Glad to see you saw the value in that question :D

Now your first response:
    they just have to add it to their shopping cart, and it's on step one

Not really, it's actually step 2. You have to click
    1. buy photo
    2. checkout

Point is, if they don't know the license terms BEFORE they click checkout...
    they are UNLIKELY to check out to begin with.

The second part of your response:
    n the meantime, you can make a page on your site, showing the licenses. You can link them to it in your gallery descriptions. Lots of options.

Wouldn't it be SOOOO much easier, for Smugmug to just do one of the following....

A. make the underlined word that said commercial clickable so they can see the license terms right then and there

B. On the FIRST page they arrive at when clicking Buy Photo, have a link that says: click here for License Terms.

Yes / sure we can put up the license terms FOR smugmug but, I'm sure you'll agree that Smugmug really needs to take the initiative on this one.

Also note: if you ARE still serious about doing the stock photo site on Smugmug, things are going to have to be a lot more transparent from the 'get go' if you expect serious buyers to take your site seriously and save them time. If it takes too long to find what they need to know, you can't be making them click all over the place to find the most basic (and important) information. But, since you'be been developing this stock offering for many months now, I'm sure you've thought of all this stuff already, right mwink.gif
    Thanks Mark, Great stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Another note: downloading photos
    While we're talking about tweaking the downloading of licsensed photos Andy....

Goofy: You click on buy photo
    when they are buying a digital download there are things that really do not need to be seen by the digital download buyer.

They ckick Buy Photo
    On the left side is the photo they've chosen.
    Underneath is "Simplify this page"

And what do they see next?

PRINT options is what they see next!

That option (Simplify page) does not even belong there (on a digital downloading purchase)
    In fact, maybe a GREAT PLACE to put the link that should say:

License Terms :D

Or like I said earlier where it now says Commercial

Catalog Options

<fieldset><legend>Hide Photo Finishes</legend>
    • spacer.gifLustre
    • spacer.gifMatte
    • spacer.gifGloss
    </fieldset>
    • spacer.gifHide products that need to be cropped
    • spacer.gifHide products that cannot be purchased
    • spacer.gifOnly show products in my cart
    Markjay
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Mark, Great stuff.
    I'll chime in here, too, and say that adding a link to the navbar with the language for the licensing is a great idea, even if the link was clickable. I did it a awhile ago. It's right up front and easy to find.

My primary concern here is that I have to monitor the licensing language to ensure that I capture any changes that might be coming.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    License language easy to find?
    Well took a quick look and.....

it aint easy to find on your site :D
    I clicked on nav bar for licensing (Image Licensing) and not a word of licensing language appears.

Just thought I'd point that out to ya. Thanks for contributing to the post.

RogersDA wrote:
    I'll chime in here, too, and say that adding a link to the navbar with the language for the licensing is a great idea, even if the link was clickable. I did it a awhile ago. It's right up front and easy to find.

My primary concern here is that I have to monitor the licensing language to ensure that I capture any changes that might be coming.
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Well took a quick look and.....

it aint easy to find on your site :D
    I clicked on nav bar for licensing (Image Licensing) and not a word of licensing language appears.

Just thought I'd point that out to ya. Thanks for contributing to the post.
    Well - you got me really interested now. What do you see when you click on Image Licensing?
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well - you got me really interested now. What do you see when you click on Image Licensing?

I see 7 photos (very, very nice photos) with a description for each but nothing about the license conditions. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    O.k. - bug fixed in my DGrin posting signature. It was linking to my old site. Should work now. Thanks for the heads-up on this.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    O.k. - bug fixed in my DGrin posting signature. It was linking to my old site. Should work now. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Yes, that's much better. Thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Markjay wrote:

I saw them underlined and guess always assumed that they were clickable with the text. Making it a link should be what smugmug does. That should be a very easy code change.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me